Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is NOT a Gibbs guy?

Touchdown Redskins

I hear all the time that this or that player is a "Gibbs guy." Examples include, but are not limited to, Cooley, Sellers, or Rock. My two questions for you guys are:

1) Who on the team do you think is NOT a Gibbs guy, but you would want to retain anyway?

And to take it one step further...

2) Who on the team do you think is NOT a Gibbs guy, but you would want to discard?

"Gibbs guy" is an overused phrase. Anyone can be a Gibbs guy. It's not a very specific description. Hell, look at the differences between Mann and Manley, or Portis and Betts. They are all Gibbs guys, but they couldnt be more different, and at the same position!

"Gibbs guy" is an overused phrase. Anyone can be a Gibbs guy. It's not a very specific description. Hell, look at the differences between Mann and Manley, or Portis and Betts. They are all Gibbs guys, but they couldnt be more different, and at the same position!

Good point. In my mind, though, I always thought of "Gibbs guy" as a personality trait. Someone who puts the team ahead of his own goals. Sellers is a beast, doesn't get many touches with the ball, but year in and year out he kicks LBs butts. ST may be silent and have a murky history in terms of run-ins with the law, but he plays his heart out. Lloyd comes to mind as someone who relies on his talent and doesn't work hard (hopefully that changes this season), which is in contrast to those who have less talent but work harder.

I hear all the time that this or that player is a "Gibbs guy." Examples include, but are not limited to, Cooley, Sellers, or Rock. My two questions for you guys are:

1) Who on the team do you think is NOT a Gibbs guy, but you would want to retain anyway?

And to take it one step further...

2) Who on the team do you think is NOT a Gibbs guy, but you would want to discard?

Wow that's pretty interesting. Since Gibbs trusts GW with the defense, I'll leave that side of the ball out of it.

Corey Bradford

Mark Brunell (I hate to say it)

:helmet:

I will probably get crucified by all of the Taylor mancrushers on here, but I don't think Sean is a Gibbs guy. Gibbs himself even tried to reach out to Taylor when he was having problems with the law, but Sean would not return his calls.

Sean likes to do his own thing, not that it's necessarily bad, he just keeps things to himself.

stereotypical "Gibbs guys" (as in just shuts up and does their job as asked without the real "glory"):

Betts

Cartwright

Sellers

the whole offensive line

Randle El (both have such a strong faith)

Thrash

Probably London Fletcher, given his background and hard working attitude

Prioleau

Not really stereotypical "Gibbs guys" (as in sometimes creates distractions or doesn't put in the expected work on their own time):

Taylor

Portis

Lloyd

Rogers (I actually like Rogers, unlike a lot of this board, but I dunno how Gibbs feels about all the dancing/show boating like in the Vikings game- it's still a stretch on my list though I admit)

Like others have said though, it's hard to say who's a Gibbs style guy and who's not considering Gibbs brought in the majority of these guys in the first place, and he also deals with and likes all kinds of personalities, he even said so in that new UnWise Mike article. I think him and Portis have a strange but respectful dynamic and probably get along well in private, and it wouldn't surprise me if Taylor's attitude towards Joe has changed a lot since his legal trouble and infamously not answering that phone call.

Archived