Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell: the last of Gibbs' team...

SkinsThug

Those are great memories - The Hogs...The Smurfs...The Fun Bunch...winning - and we'll all cherish that.

It's been great to have a link to those memories in Darrell Green.

I hope he goes out with a terrific win.

And then the work begins to start a new winning tradition. It's time to let go of the dreams of smashmouth NFC East football and time to move on to a Steve Spurrier-style of game. It's going to be very different, but exciting. I suspect we'll out-Ram the Rams before it's over.

Originally posted by Bufford

He IS a 1st ballot HOF'er and one of the most respected men in NFL history. That's fact.

I totally agree. Even rival NFC East fans appreciate Darrell Green and his contributions to football on and off the field. I certainly wish him well in the future.

Go 'Skins. Beat the Cowboys.

Go Eagles. Crush the Giants!

Of course I WANT the win. I'm just saying- the season will be over win or lose. There aren't the deep implications like last year's loss to the Pukes. And the 20 year record would be remembered for decades, while the game will be forgotten by next year when we really whoop their tuckuses (tucki?)

Unfortunately, I don't think that he is a first ballot HOFer. I think that there are enough sportswriters that have a clouded judgement about him to

In short, they think of a guy who, like Cal Ripken just hung around for a long time, playing at a pretty high level but never being a dominant player at the position. (let's see if that statement riles some people up)

They don't see the guy who chased down running backs from behind to save touchdowns, they don't see the guy who make scrubs look like pro-bowlers, they don't see the guy who would get the punt return for a touchdown just because Gibbs needed one.

If you need proof to my point, just submit an email to Paul Zimmerman on the topic. He's made himself pretty clear on the subject over the years, and he's a guy who actually has a HOF ballot. I imagine that he's not the only one who thinks that way either.

Now, if it was up to the other members of the HOF to vote him in, then he would definitely be a first ballot entry. Instead, it's sportswriters....

I'm a guy in my early 30s, so basically I grew up with #28. It's hard to believe that it's almost over. I'd really like to see him stick around in some way, but I doubt it would happen. I think he could teach alot of the new guys coming in, especially the secondary, about playing in the NFL. And also how to represent yourself as an upstanding citizen, something the league could use a lot more of.

Darrell has had a great career and will be missed by Redskin Fans. I have a cigar that I will be smoking, win or lose, after the game in honor of my all-time favorite Redskin calling it a career. :high:

We will never see a 20 year Redskin for a long time or maybe even never. DG is our last remaining link to our Joe Gibbs Glory Days and Super Bowl Teams. I hope we can link some of the new blood to some Super Bow Championship Teams! :fortune:

Archived