Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DVD-RW won't recognize CD-Rs

The Sir

I'm hoping one of the computer guys on the board can help me.

I had this problem about a month ago, so I went out and replaced my DVD-RW drive. I know this new one can't be broke, I'm thinking the problem is something else. It has to be, no way these drives break every month with the same problem.

I put a disc in so I can burn an audio CD and when I go to burn, I get the message "please insert blank CD"

What might it be?

Yeah, I've been able to burn CDs on it for the past month but it stopped working today. Not recognizing CDs. I've tried different brands of CD-Rs, different burning softward, uninstalling the drive. And none of that has helped.

Yeah, I've been able to burn CDs on it for the past month but it stopped working today. Not recognizing CDs. I've tried different brands of CD-Rs, different burning softward, uninstalling the drive. And none of that has helped.

Is it coming up "image device"? Mine does that, I've gotta restart my comp. a couple of times to get it recognized as a "CD-R Burner"

I've been having the same problem with my new DVD/CD burner, it wont recognize the DVDs for copying.

Is your computer a Dell Dimension Desktop? Everyone I've talked to that has this problem has pretty much the same computer as me.

It will play CDs though, so the drive isn't broken. Can't be, it's too new. I think something to do with the computer.

I've downloaded the firmware, tried multiple CDs of different brands, tried uninstalling the drive and reinstalling it. There's no explanation.

It will play CDs though, so the drive isn't broken. Can't be, it's too new. I think something to do with the computer.

I've downloaded the firmware, tried multiple CDs of different brands, tried uninstalling the drive and reinstalling it. There's no explanation.

Yep. I don't know, sorry. Good luck. :cheers:

did you ever try burning cds? it may have never worked. i think to burn cds vs dvds the drive has to change the power of the laser. maybe your drive is defective in that?

also changing the firmware can be a recipe for disaster.

burned CDs great for a month

i once had a problem where the computer i was building just kinda stopped reading CDs/DVDs (the actual devices weren't being read.) I just couldn't figure out the problem so i just threw every trick in the book at it. the one that ended up working was inserting a boot-disk and running the "fdisk /mbr" command.

Archived