Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The State Of The Black Quaterback

CrypticVillain

I don't know why Vick would conjure up a thread about Black QB's or the state of black QB's. But I'm like alot of others in here. I don't think many football fans look at color anymore. We just want good players. I rooted for Doug Williams as hard as I rooted for Joe T. and Mark Rypien.

I don't know if I'd put Tavaris Jackson in a gruop of promising QB's. He's very raw right now and didn't show very much last season.

Cunningham was one of the best all around QB's. He could run, throw and even Punt. He holds the Eagles record for the longest punt (91 yds). He had the best balance of any player in his day. It was hard to bring him down.

Moon was a good QB. He had the luxury of playing in the run and shoot offense most of his career which allowed him to put up buig numbers. Not a reall strong arm, but a very heady QB who knew where to go with the ball. A non-scrambler.

Doug was a very average QB. He played on some terrible TB teams and his career went south when he went to the USFL. Joe revived his career and gave him a chance. We were able to ride the combination of him and Jay for the 87-88 season to a SB title. He was injury prone during most of his career. Had a strong arm. Non scrambler.

Thanks for answering my questions, and not asking me why I care about race anymore. As far as why I thought about black quaterbacks after the Vick news broke out. I was just thinkg about how far black quaterbacks came.When I first started watching football the only black quaterback I knew was Charlie Batch and Cunningham when he was with the Vikings.

My intention when I startred this thread was to talk about black quaterbacks. Not how they cmopare to white quaerbacks, and white running backs. I just wanted to know how they played back in the days. I know everytime you bring up race that a debate is always going to come out of it. But I don't care about that, I just wanted to know about black quaterbacks in the past.

To be really honest, I don't think that, in today's sports, that there is any sort of racism when it comes to who plays. You literally can't be a fan of an all-white team. For every Jurgensen, Theismann, and Cooley, there's a Monk, Green, Taylor, Moss, etc. Name a single sport that doesn't have a dominant black player.

This thread is for drama and drama alone. Vick is, if guilty, a horrible, disgusting human being, PERIOD. His skin color is as irrelevant as his blood type.

Willie Thrower, when I say that name dose it ring a bell. Probaly not, as a matter of fact five minutes ago I did not even know who he was. In 1952, Willie Thrower was the first black quarterback in the NFL. He played in only one game with the Chicago Bears in 1953, and that was to relieve George Blanda. He completed three of eight passes for 27 yards with an interception in a 35-28 loss.

The reason I brought this up was because of the news today of Vick being indicted, and I wanted to start this discussion. I think even with what happened to Vick that we are still moving forward. In the past six year there has been two black quarterbacks selected number 1 overall in the NFL Draft and there has been one more quarterback to start in the Super Bowl. The future is bright for black quarterbacks as well. With young quarterbacks like Jamarcus Russell of the Oakland Raiders, Tarvaris Jackson of the Minnesota Vikings, and Jason Campbell of the Washington Redskins.

So people can you add more insight to the state of the black quarterback. I am only eighteen years old, I only been watching football for ten years. I don’t know much about Cunningham, Moon, and Doug Williams.

This thread is for drama and drama alone. Vick is, if guilty, a horrible, disgusting human being, PERIOD. His skin color is as irrelevant as his blood type.

How the hake is this drama, the ony thing I said about Vick is that he got indicted. All I wanted to know was you all expieriences with black quarterbacks. Thats it, I did not ask to compare white quarterbacks to black, I did not ask about Vick. I just wanted to know about past quaterbacks.

This thread was created for me to gain information, it turned into a drama.

When I hit the college level I quickly realised that color stereotypes are out the window. At that level and above everyone is equal and everyone sees it real quick. It's not always a black thing. I'm white and I didn't think even I would have much of a challenge from white guys in college. Wrong answer. I found myself standing right beside my black friends saying "DAMN, look at that white boy run." Fact was at that level you better bring your A game no matter who you are, because you can be sure the other guy is bringing his.

Archived