Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A record? 8 of 9 without a 1st rounder

morpheusmeyers

I was looking back at old Redskins drafts because I remember in the 80's they never seemed to have a 1st rounder.

From 1982-1990 the Redskins had only one 1st round draft pick, Darrel Green in 1983. 1 in 9 years!

Can anyone remember any team going that long with only one 1st rounder? I've got to think that's a record.

Then from 1991-1997 the Skins had a 1st rounder every year.

Funny thing is, in the 80's with no 1st rounders they were great, and in the 90's with 1st rounders they stunk.

My only point is that this is an odd coincidence. I think you need 1st rounders to secure elite, young talent.

they had a pretty good draft in 82 and 83 to secure enough talent for a while. PLus, they drafted well in the later rounds. Manley was not a 1st or 2nd I believe, neither was Mann, yet they were definitely two of the best DE's of that time.

that's because gibbs took vets and turned them into stars. Unfortunately you cant do that now-a-days because of the fact that people dont stay in systems long enough.

i'd like to see how many 1st round players win an mvp/superbowl ring in the first 4 years they are with a squad....I might be WAAAY off with this but i'm at work so i cant do that much "research" if anyone could look into this i'd appreciate it

our 1981 draft was the all time greatest single draft for any team that didn't trade for extra picks.

Mark May, Russ Grimm, Dexter Manley, Darryl Grant, Clint Didier and Charlie Brown.

You know, I agree wholeheartedly. Clint Didier is one of those players that is so underrated yet was a staple for many of the successful years of the Redskins in the eighties, much the way Chris Cooley is today (clutch catches at crucial moments).

The others speak for themselves.

He is able to find those players with the right character. Everyone on this 07 team has character and gibbs built it. We will be very good this year. It just seems like our players have unique personalities that will go to the end to get the job done.

Beathard ran the drafts. And while I remember lots of fans being disappointed we never had any high profile selections on draft day, we did pretty damn well trading out of the 1st round every year.

In 1985 we got Barry Wilburn in the 8th, Terry Orr in the 10th and Raleigh McKenzie in the 11th.

In 1986 there was Alvin Walton in the 3rd, Ravin Caldwell in the 5th, Mark Rypien in the 6th and Kurt Gouveia in the 8th.

1987 gave us Timmy Smith in the 5th and Ed Simmons in the 6th.

In '88 we nabbed Chip Lohmiller in the 2nd and Stan Humphries in the 6th.

1989 gave us Mark Schlereth in the 10th.

in 1990 we got Andre Collins, Mo Elowonibi and Brian Mitchell in the middle of the draft.

It shows you to what loyalty to a team did. Also how things were when JKC was running the orginization.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Snyder and Cooke owned this franchise in two seperate eras. JKC actually not much more different than Snyder (except age), even Gibbs has said that. It is just that what they both did/do worked much better in Cooke's era, not in today's.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Snyder and Cooke owned this franchise in two seperate eras. JKC actually not much more different than Snyder (except age), even Gibbs has said that. It is just that what they both did/do worked much better in Cooke's era, not in today's.

I'm not so sure that's true.

JKC's style was to cut the check and trust his football people to win ballgames.

He wouldn't be caught dead initiating a trade or dictating which players to cut, or half the other stuff Snyder gets involved in.

JKC also had personal affection for Skins fans that went both ways, something that Snyder is a long ways from achieving.

Funny thing is, in the 80's with no 1st rounders they were great, and in the 90's with 1st rounders they stunk.

My only point is that this is an odd coincidence. I think you need 1st rounders to secure elite, young talent.

It's no coincidence. Beathard typically traded the following year's #1 to for a 2nd in the current year, and picked a lot of winners in the mid to late rounds.

Casserly ran the draft in the 90s, and he was the WORST GM in HISTORY at first rounders. Up until getting Bailey in 99 ALL of his 1st rounders were either busts or disappointments, which also meant a lot of wasted cap space on guys like Shuler, Howard, Collins, Westbroke, etc.

Archived