Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did the Skins Watch Gaither's Workout?

WizSkinsO's

Apologies if this has been asked already, but does anyone know if the Redskins were one of 16 or so NFL teams scouting Jared Gaither at his combine-style workout?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2930513

I know he's incredibly dumb, unfortunately, in the classroom and Maryland losing him really disappointed me as a Terps fan. However, he seems to realize that he's just naturally not smart at all but has a great work ethic on the football field. The Terps must have really liked him if they allowed him to continue to work with their conditioning staff to prepare for the supplemental draft and he appears to have really impressed despite not having much time to prepare. He still is a physical monster and could be an NFL star someday.

So, back to the question, does anyone know if we were there watching and if there's any chance we pick Gaither in the supplemental draft?

Thanks.

i have been wondering about him... as a terp myself, I would love to see some more UMD players on the skins. If we can get him with a 3rd in the supplemental draft then i would be all for taking him because he seems like he can provide some youth at our line (which is going to retire in the next 3 - 4 years). If we can develop him then we can begin getting our older line ready for the future. Some say he is 1st round talent if he waits til the 08 draft so a 3rd rounder is not too shabby.

"Of the 42 offensive linemen who ran the 40 at the combine in February, only four posted faster times than Gaither's. And only six of the 37 linemen who participated in the vertical jump recorded better efforts."

He was a MONSTER at UMD. He's still a project, though. I wouldn't spend anything better than a 4th to get him. I don't think we have a 4th next year, do we?

i would certainly hope we attended the workout. from what i understand it was in our own backyard, and you can never have too many nfl-sized tackles. at the third round or below i'd love to take him. then let buges coach him up for a couple years before there's any pressure for the guy to start. i think it would be an ideal situation. ... IMO.

"Of the 42 offensive linemen who ran the 40 at the combine in February, only four posted faster times than Gaither's. And only six of the 37 linemen who participated in the vertical jump recorded better efforts."

He was a MONSTER at UMD. He's still a project, though. I wouldn't spend anything better than a 4th to get him. I don't think we have a 4th next year, do we?

i dont think we do hav a 4th... because i was going to say 4th but since we dont I say 3rd just because i dont see him being around in the 5th... but if he is we gotta go for him in the 5th...

Can anyone explain when the supplemental draft is and how it works? Still a bit confused on this whole round thing.

But yeah, the only thing that would actually make me happy about him leaving the Terps is if the Skins snatched him and let Buges go to work. He'd become awesome.

I think the supplemental draft is on the 12th.. i wouldnt bet my $$ on it but i thought i remember hearing that...

The supplemental draft has essentially the same rules as the regular draft (same order as the draft), but if u take a player then u forfeit that pick next season... meaning if we took Gaither in the 3rd we lose our 3rd next year... besides that i cant really think of any difference worth noting...

I think the supplemental draft is on the 12th.. i wouldnt bet my $$ on it but i thought i remember hearing that...

The supplemental draft has essentially the same rules as the regular draft (same order as the draft), but if u take a player then u forfeit that pick next season... meaning if we took Gaither in the 3rd we lose our 3rd next year... besides that i cant really think of any difference worth noting...

It is also a sort of secret selection meaning that you have to submit your picks prior to the draft taking place. You submit your selections at the positions you would pick. i.e. If the Redskins are picking 5th in the first round and they don't see a player worthy of a first round selection they would have already submitted an envelope with the word 'Pass' on it. This would take place in subsequent rounds until they reach a pick they would use on a player.

Can anyone explain when the supplemental draft is and how it works? Still a bit confused on this whole round thing.

But yeah' date=' the only thing that would actually make me happy about him leaving the Terps is if the Skins snatched him and let Buges go to work. He'd become awesome.[/quote']

The players in the supplemental draft can apply if they have endured some kind of hardship, like injury, family issues, financial needs, or academic issues. Teams can put in bids for those players. If their bid is best, they lose that pick in the next April's draft.

So if a team takes a player in the 1st round they lose their 1st round pick next year? Why would a team forfeit their 1st round pick next year, for a proven player, for a player that didn't get drafted in the regular draft this year? this doesn't sound right.....

So if a team takes a player in the 1st round they lose their 1st round pick next year? Why would a team forfeit their 1st round pick next year, for a proven player, for a player that didn't get drafted in the regular draft this year? this doesn't sound right.....

Normally, the players in the supplemental draft were not in the regular April draft, and want to find employment in the NFL under a special set of circumstances.

Oh i read that the dallas cowboys are getting Gaither without spending any pics because ESPN accidentally used a little bit of teeth during their yearly fellatio of the Cowboys.

This information comes from Stats Inc.:laugh::dallasuck

Nobody ever uses 1st round picks in the supplemental draft. It's usually 3rd round or lower, and most teams don't even take anyone at all. Like another poster said above, it's really only for players that have special circumstances.

i would be worried about a dumb offensive lineman.... usually the smartest and one of the most difficult positions (from an intelligence standpoint) on the field

that being said i know we want to keep our picks from last year, but we do have two very good, but aging OT's. i personally believe OL is the most important group on the field and all offensive success hinges on their ability to give the qb time and get the rb holes.... it's one area we always need to be deep at.

even though he'll likely fetch a 2nd round supplemental pick from a team with dire need at the position i'd like to see us offer up a 3rd for him. sounds like he can really dominate at the position.

I read somewhere where he is projecting as a NFL Guard, they are worried about his intelligence and work ethic and that he has the strenght and physical tools. Sounds like a bargin the the right situation.

After following the "news" about this topic or the past week, I would like to know who would send the email to the NFL office about acquiring anyone? The fact that we don't have a 4th may stop us from doing so, as giving up anything higher may be a huge risk.

Anyone think a 3rd is worth Gaither?

How about CB Paul Oliver from Georgia? Would 5th land him?

Paul Oliver is worthless to us... we have great DB depth now.... however... gaither for a 3rd sounds promising...

No one is ever worthless, not even Todd Collins......well wait a minute.

Just wondering if a 5th would be "worth" it. Of course he's not gonna play now. But depth for next year considering Springs will more then likely been sent on his way. I would at least send in the request for a 5th, but I am sure he'll be gone before that. At 6'0" and 210, he's got great size.

The only noteworthy supplemental pick I recall was quarterback Dave Brown going to the Giants. For some reason, I thought they used a 1st rounder on him too.

Either way, they used a supplemental to grab him from Duke, thus setting off the legendary Kent Graham/Dave Brown qb controversy in north jersey.

The only noteworthy supplemental pick I recall was quarterback Dave Brown going to the Giants. For some reason, I thought they used a 1st rounder on him too.

Either way, they used a supplemental to grab him from Duke, thus setting off the legendary Kent Graham/Dave Brown qb controversy in north jersey.

Cris Carter was a supplemental draft pick. As was Jamaal Williams, DT for the Chargers.

Archived