Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

System + Personnel = Championship. (semi-long)

[S.S.F. | Nero]

After lacking one of the two for much of the last decade......what can Redskins fans expect in 2007?

Since Joe Gibbs retired the first time, the Redskins have been searching for an identity. A great owner was lost and replaced by a less than football savvy owner who was willing to spend. And spend he did. Snyder (as well as people he hired) carelessly controlled player personnel decisions, handing out exorbitant contracts to many past their prime time players. When previously successful coaches demanded some or all of the personell control in hopes of.....winning......those coaches were promptly shuffled out the back door (i.e. Marty Schottenheimer).

Spurrier.

Then Snyder made possibly the best move of his ownership so far. He hired Gibbs back. There has been much debate as to whether Gibbs will be considered a success. His own personnel choices have also been brought into serious question (Brunell, Bailey/Portis, drafting JCampbell, to a lesser extent...Lavar, Pierce), but Gibbs has a master plan.

Only now, in the closing of the 2006 season and the upcoming 2007 season has Joe Gibbs' plan been truly seen.

As he's been able to get the players that HE wants into his and his Designated Assistant Second Lieutenant Vice Co-Coaches' schemes, the team has shown some success.

This year will be the ultimate showcase of what Joe Gibbs has done with the franchise. We'll know if signing Brunell to mentor a draftee and trading up to draft Campbell as 'the guy' were smart moves. We'll know if trading Champ to get CP was a smart move (some have already decided, but personally I think the jury is still out on CP but this will be a 'deciding' year). All of the questions of players, coaches, systems, schemes, trades, drafts, draft picks, and whatever the heck else people want to blame for our recent struggles, will be answered here in just over a month and a half.

In answer to my own question.... I expect Gibbs to finally put it all together this year. Good system/coaches with players that play hard and stay out of trouble. New England has been practicing this method for years now. Last year was humbling but I still think we are at the beginning of something truly special. If blessed with generally good health, I don't see this team slowing down for at least the next 4-5 years.

Your thoughts?

:applause:

good post, that is if, of course, this team is successful within the next few years. But I feel the same way, if Gibbs is the genius we all think him to be, the team will be successful eventually. Because, although it's been rough, the fact we're a winning team at the time that we are means that Gibbs' plan worked. It just took more time than we were expecting. But once we win, we would've forgotten about the bad time.

I definitely agree!

I admit that I was confident before last season aswell. However, I failed to realize the deficiencies in our defensive backfield until the fact was obvious to us all (well some). Our 2007 defense won't be nearly as good as our 2008 defense, imo. But as long as they can be above average I feel our offense has everything they need to help keep the D off of the field. The Redskins 2007 offense, imo, will be the most obvious improvement from last years team. Besides Dockery, the O lost nothing and gained tons of experience. The offensive unit, last year, was fairly new and still growing together. These guys should be well gelled, this year, and knowledgable in Saunders system. Also, it seems JC has instilled loads of confidence in the players around him. Add CP back into the mix and I have a really good feeling about this offensive unit. Everyone (O & D) has something to prove, this year, and has worked more than hard enough to capably achieve great moments in their careers.

The best thing about it all, as you mentioned, is that there is a system in place! We are building, improving and can only get better with time. I believe this team is fully capable of bringing home a Lombardi trophy. If we fall shy of this goal, however, next years team will only be better. Gibbs has a system which involves finding the weak points and replacing them. All this takes is time & consistency from the coaches, players and fans.

Heres to a great year!

God we all hope you are 100% correct. I would pay a ridiculous amount of money out of my own account to see this happen, and for this to be true. I am dying for another run of 3-4 good, or even great seasons.

We have a ton of obstacles though. At least we play in the nfc, and not the afc, and our division really doesn't even look that strong this year. So I am hopeful that we can shine in the east.

My main concern isn't injuries.....it isn't our draft choices, it isn't even the personnel on the field.

My main worry with this team is motivation. Do the coaches REALLY want to win? Or are they just going through highly compensated motions?

Do the defensive players hate and disrespect Williams? What percentage of the locker room can he win back from last season? Do they even want to play for the guy? Even in the non-football real world with companies, if the employees hate AND disrespect their boss....employees will not do their best. Mutiny abounds. If the players do play well.....will they be traded at the end of the season? Do they even trust the franchise to reward their loyalty and effort to the team?

While I am encouraged by 95% of the reports I read, regarding everything from JCs work ethic, to Williams maybe realizing that he needs to be a little more open minded, and actually use a players' strengths, my jaw still drops at 5% of the things I see. Like our defensive players suggesting that this season we might benefit from watching some film during the week, or maybe we just need to stay and practice a little harder if things aren't clicking.

You can have the greatest players on earth on your team--but if it isn't being run professionally, none of that will matter.

This is what concerns me most about the team. And honestly, we were probably one inspired Ladell Betts away from being the worst team in the league last season. If he had come in and sucked it up--every single person on the team may have just thrown in the towel.

Let's hope we rock this season.

:logo:

This is what concerns me most about the team. And honestly, we were probably one inspired Ladell Betts away from being the worst team in the league last season. If he had come in and sucked it up--every single person on the team may have just thrown in the towel.

Wow. You really do find a way to bring Betts up in EVERY post. ;)

Hey there, good morning (it's morning here, anyways). Great post but I have to disagree with oen thing in particular. There is no way this team can remind intact for, using your words, 4-5 years. The offensive line is old and the defensive line is ancient.

We have some good players at key positions and that will help but without a strong and consistant offensive line those players won't be able to perform to the best of their abilities. The defensive line is in dire need of a drastic overhaul. One could argue Golston and Montgomery could be built around but I personally don't see that happening.

i agree that the team is committed to doing things better and to winning this year. lets hope that if we do well this year that we can have another off season like this years next year. i would love to see us actually concentrate on getting some young linemen in here and a nice cover corner to take over for springs. that would cement my belief that the skins are committed to the future.

God we all hope you are 100% correct. I would pay a ridiculous amount of money out of my own account to see this happen, and for this to be true. I am dying for another run of 3-4 good, or even great seasons.

We have a ton of obstacles though. At least we play in the nfc, and not the afc, and our division really doesn't even look that strong this year. So I am hopeful that we can shine in the east.

My main concern isn't injuries.....it isn't our draft choices, it isn't even the personnel on the field.

My main worry with this team is motivation. Do the coaches REALLY want to win? Or are they just going through highly compensated motions?

Do the defensive players hate and disrespect Williams? What percentage of the locker room can he win back from last season? Do they even want to play for the guy? Even in the non-football real world with companies, if the employees hate AND disrespect their boss....employees will not do their best. Mutiny abounds. If the players do play well.....will they be traded at the end of the season? Do they even trust the franchise to reward their loyalty and effort to the team?

While I am encouraged by 95% of the reports I read, regarding everything from JCs work ethic, to Williams maybe realizing that he needs to be a little more open minded, and actually use a players' strengths, my jaw still drops at 5% of the things I see. Like our defensive players suggesting that this season we might benefit from watching some film during the week, or maybe we just need to stay and practice a little harder if things aren't clicking.

You can have the greatest players on earth on your team--but if it isn't being run professionally, none of that will matter.

Let's hope we rock this season.

:logo:

man, ive never,ever seen someone ride a players D... as much as you do Betts, it amazes me, much less a back-up.. betts is good, but you act as if hes the all around best player/god on this team and no one matters. Some might think you are Betts himself the way you talk and ride him so hard.. you act as if hes the whole team and rest of the skins are crap..

you notice as well?? it's rediculous almost.

it might as well be like 'the skins suck without betts, what would we do without him?" give me a breakkk

As annoying as the Portis vs Betts debate can get, its not the worst debate a team could have. I mean...at least we have a #2 guy who can step up. Some teams dont even have a solid #1 guy...

Archived