Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking at Laptops

PokerPacker

Translation: My parents are rich and will give me what I want. I only pretend to be some teenage broke, poor guy cuz it helps my standing on ES. In all honesty, if you would read my last post . . . my dad will give me whatever I want cuz I"m spoon-fed. Doom 3: my Mom bought for me. Grand total of $100 for my "current system"??? I "got most of it free" because my parents paid for it. Okay, I have now told you the truth ES. :D

Just messin' with ya PP. :)

i know you're just messing, but rich parents? :laugh: we may live in fairfax but that's only because we moved here BEFORE it was filled with rich people. my dad works for the government, the only car someone in our house bought that was new was the truck my brother just bought with the money he earned at his job (same brother who bought me doom3 for $20 after it was a couple years old). The computer was free because i took an academy course over at chantilly where if you passed the test to become an A+ certified technician they'd give you a free p4 computer. back when i was much younger i used to get a $4 a week allowance. it was all stored on an excel spreadsheet to keep track of what was ours. I had over $600 saved up about the time that he decided that money no longer counted, so that's a ton of money that was considered mine that i never actually got to use. I paid for my own car (which has subsequently died so i have to buy yet another one)

This is a rare occasion in which i can actually get my dad to buy me something.

PG, glad you wasn't offended. No need to explain to me or anyone else on this board, man. I'm just jokin' with ya. By the way, when the hell did you get A+ certified? That is very respectable! Congrats!!!

It takes much more than that to offend me ;).

i got my certification around june of last year. only about a quarter of our class passed the test.

According to Consumer Reports the Mac is top, next in line are several Toshibas, the satelite series seems to be very highly rated and quite a bit less expensive. I bought one recently (too new to know if there are any problems) with 2 gigs of Ram and 200 gigs hard drive for only 650. It also had its own dedicated video chip and not an integrated one.

Good luck and do your due dilligence.

What kind of specs did you find on your Toshiba for $650? Was it a Core 2 Duo processor, and did that include the warranty?

Right now I'm looking to spend around 900$ for a Dell Inspiron with a Core 2 Duo and their 3 year warranty with next day in-home service. $650 sounds much better :laugh:

who made it and how much did it run you?

I wouldn't get a dream machine. I've been buying PC's for going on 25 years. Whatever you buy for 2000$ today will be worth 500$ in six months. That goes even more so for lap tops which are harder to upgrade and thus fall out of date faster.

Get what the school suggests. spend extra money on Ram or hard drive space. Forget the Mac. You don't want to be one of the only kids with a Mac in school even if they do run better. Better to stay with the crowd.

If you must buy the bleeding edge machine after you get out of school. Everybody does it once. My rule is after I buy a PC, I have to use it for at least two years before I replace it. Hard enough to enforce that rule on myself.

I've had good luck with Alienware boxes.

www.alienware.com

well guys, i think i may have found my computer. for $1,200 here's what i get:

the Sony Viao VGN-CR120E/R

Core2 Duo T7100 (1.8 GHz)

2 gigs RAM

DVD burner

built-in camera/mic

touchpad with texture (instead of those damn smooth ones that your fingers stick to)

S-video out

something pretty neat as an added bonus: you can use the DVD player ability of it without even booting up the notebook, just pop in your movie and play!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8404318&type=product&id=1180743305205

what do you guys think?

edit: i first noticed this notebook at bestbuy and it was the only one there i was interested in. i then went over to circuitcity to look at what they had there. it just so happened that a Sony rep was inspecting the store while i was there. i had mentioned what kind of laptop i was looking for and had mentioned i saw one at bestbuy that i liked and she immediately knew which one i was talking about. apparently it is a really new model that just shipped out a week or two ago and she really likes it. i'm pretty much convinced this is what i want.

I don't know what your school's setup is, but I think most schools have deals now with Dell (maybe some other manufacturers) where you can get a pretty significant discount. With Dell you can also have them build your comp with exactly what you want and leave out what you don't need to get the most for your dollars.

I would recommend checking that route before doing anything else.

I don't know what your school's setup is, but I think most schools have deals now with Dell (maybe some other manufacturers) where you can get a pretty significant discount. With Dell you can also have them build your comp with exactly what you want and leave out what you don't need to get the most for your dollars.

I would recommend checking that route before doing anything else.

i've already gone that route, all the systems i try putting together end up being too expensive. i get a $200 discount with dell from my school.

i've already gone that route, all the systems i try putting together end up being too expensive. i get a $200 discount with dell from my school.

Piece of advice Packer. When I built my dell notebook about 18 months ago I called Dell directly and they got me a $700 discount, which was alot higher then the discount I got through my university. I recommend calling and seeing what they can give you. My computer cost 2100-2200 originally and I got it for 1400-1500 (I can't remember exactly what it was I paid). Also, their warranty is amazing. I called them at 10 PM on a monday night to report some broken keys on my keyboard and they were at my house at 2 PM on Tuesday to fix it.

brikem05, what kinda Dell service plan did you get? I was just going with the DellCare Basic which does advertise 24 hour support and next day technician service.

Poker, that's another thing to consider is that you will be dropping another 200$-300$ for the warranty, and it's definitely worth getting. The only reason I'm going with Dell is that while the prices are comparable or even a little higher, that's usually cause it includes the warranty (with 1400$ I can make a pretty good Inspiron 1520 with the 3 year basic warranty).

brikem05, what kinda Dell service plan did you get? I was just going with the DellCare Basic which does advertise 24 hour support and next day technician service.

Poker, that's another thing to consider is that you will be dropping another 200$-300$ for the warranty, and it's definitely worth getting. The only reason I'm going with Dell is that while the prices are comparable or even a little higher, that's usually cause it includes the warranty (with 1400$ I can make a pretty good Inspiron 1520 with the 3 year basic warranty).

I have 3 years of complete hardware coverage. I think its the 3 yr in-home service with 24/7 phone support.

i already started a thread just like this, but i understand your desire for thread ownership. haha. i finally just went with Dell because of the discount i got with my school as well and the fact that that's what everyone was suggesting. Have you picked what you want yet? i figured it'd probably be beneficial to get it sooner rather than later in case there's something wrong and you need to send it back. i move in august 18th so time is running out.

i already started a thread just like this, but i understand your desire for thread ownership. haha. i finally just went with Dell because of the discount i got with my school as well and the fact that that's what everyone was suggesting. Have you picked what you want yet? i figured it'd probably be beneficial to get it sooner rather than later in case there's something wrong and you need to send it back. i move in august 18th so time is running out.

are you going with the Inspiron or the XPS? The Dell Inspiron 1520 was only released about two weeks ago (very late June), which I like the idea of. I also plan on ordering mine soon (probably tonight) so I can get it before I move out on August 4th.

Piece of advice Packer. When I built my dell notebook about 18 months ago I called Dell directly and they got me a $700 discount, which was alot higher then the discount I got through my university. I recommend calling and seeing what they can give you. My computer cost 2100-2200 originally and I got it for 1400-1500 (I can't remember exactly what it was I paid). Also, their warranty is amazing. I called them at 10 PM on a monday night to report some broken keys on my keyboard and they were at my house at 2 PM on Tuesday to fix it.

what did you say to get you that huge discount?

edit: well it probably doesn't matter for me anymore, apparently the only notebooks they have with XP have too big of screens.

Well fact is that Macs may cost more but they are definitely worth it. Plus Windows XP shouldn't be that much more expensive these days anyhow.

It's 200 over at BB. Mac owners can't be objective in threads like this. Why pay for expensive hardware and then expensive software when he could get what is required for less?

Archived