Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

racism in reverse?

fansince62

given the tenor of other threads in this forumn....while the circumstantial evidence suggests that race has been an issue when it comes to hiring head coaches in the NFL....how does the board feel about the new requirement for owners to interview at least one minority assistant coach when looking for new head coaches? (according to an article I read in this morning's Virginia Pilot)

Sounds pretty stupid to me. You can't legislate racial harmony. People have to want it.

What would be next ... having to interview Latino assistants? Asian assistants?

Jewish?

Women?

Handicapped?

Will there be complaints about all the interviewing of minority applicants that DON'T lead to hiring?

That's just ridiculous. Do I think there's a disproportionately small number of Black coaches? Yes.

But such was the case with QBs 20 years ago too and now noone thinks twice about a black QB entering the league. With relatively successful emergence of Black head coaches like Dungy, Shell, Edwards and Green I think the NFL, even if it isn't there yet, is headed in the right direction. I see no need to force an issue that's already working itself out.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is a dumb rule, if I owned a team, I would not want anyone telling me who to interview, let alone who to hire.

The problem will take care of itself when there are more minority owners.

Chris Rock said it best in one of his routines, Rich black men have better uses for their money than being one of the good old boys. There are plenty of black men that could be owners if they wanted to. I know that the argument against that will be "they won't be allowed"..

Money talks....

If I'm selling my car, whoever is paying the most wins, I don't care if they are black, white, yellow, red or covered in dog $hit.

It's a stupid rule. It legislates appearance of impropriety. what's more it legislates what for the time being should be common sense.

I was talking wit ha cowboys fan who asked me what I thought about them hiring Parcells. I told him honestly, "Well, you hired one of the people who would make up my top three." The other two would probably be Art Shell (if he wants to be a head coach) and Denny Green.

Given that what is important is winning, I expect the minority hiring of head coaches to increase on its own. Quite simply, there are some great Black coaches out there right now.

In an ultracompetitive league that's marked by parity now more than ever, any owner that restricts the coaches he's willing to hire based upon race is necessarily tying one hand behind his back in terms of talent.

This is a problem that will take care of itself over time. It's like a wound healing - you can't rush it.

It also sets up black coaches for institutionalized insult. I would really resent being a top tier black assistant or college coach who gets interviewed 4 times a year to meet the mandated requirement, but knowing I'm not seriously in contention. That, to me, would be much worse than not being interviewed at all.

Archived