Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KC should trade LJ now. To the Eagles?

BALLz

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-johnson062107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

If they want a RB entering his prime around the time Croyle is then i guess this would be a good idea. Giving the track record of backs who go over 400 carries in a season it may be wise to part with him now while you can still get something for him. Just expect to have some high draft picks for a couple years.

Throws in the Eagles and Giants as possible destinations.

Enter the Eagles, who are one of 13 teams around the league with more than $10 million in salary-cap space. Some Eagles fans might counter that Philadelphia already has running back Brian Westbrook. Westbrook is nice, but he's no Johnson, who is a premier power back. Furthermore, the Eagles have positioned themselves to win now with quarterback Donovan McNabb and have the money to get a top player like Johnson.

Likewise, the Giants need a running back to replace Tiki Barber. Brandon Jacobs is nice, but he looks more like a complementary player than a full-time guy.

This forum also gets a shout out, kinda...

But the really smart move for the Chiefs would be to trade

Johnson now while his value is at its peak. Around the NFL, that is.

For the Chiefs, Johnson's value is not all that strong.

WTF?

This move would fit if the team didn't have Westbrook and draft Hunt. Westbrook proved last season that he can carry the load, but that was just one season. To be honest, LJ to the Giants would make more sense, but then again, the best place for him to go would be with the Titans. Him and Vince Young would be sick!

Thanks for the Taterific thread. It makes me feel at home while the EMB is down. You are a kind and thoughtful host.

I guess this is the typical input provided in the threads of EMB.

Anyway, in regards to #5's comment, The Titans would be a great fit. Not only would he drastically upgrade the running game, he would probably be their best reciever. His reason for mentioning the Eagles and Saints are just stupid. He's basically saying, yeah they have a good RB but Johnson is better. Well that could be said for about 75% of teams in the NFL. Why not trade him to the Jets. Sure they just got Thomas Jones but Johnson is better. I say they trade him to the Bears for Briggs. Yeah, the Bears have Benson but LJ is better and Benson has been injury prone. The Packers are mentioned in article too and think that would be another great fit.

WTF?

This move would fit if the team didn't have Westbrook and draft Hunt. Westbrook proved last season that he can carry the load, but that was just one season. To be honest, LJ to the Giants would make more sense, but then again, the best place for him to go would be with the Titans. Him and Vince Young would be sick!

Agreed, keep that bad-ass out of the division and in the AFC.

I'd be interested to compare the RB's who have had over 400 carries in a season to compare their age, height, weight and other things to see if LJ will be able to handle it or will he go in the dumper. There have been 5, but I can only think of James Wilder and Jamaal Anderson. I tried to look for stats, but couldn't find it. Can anyone find that list. i'd be curious to see it.

I'd be interested to compare the RB's who have had over 400 carries in a season to compare their age, height, weight and other things to see if LJ will be able to handle it or will he go in the dumper. There have been 5, but I can only think of James Wilder and Jamaal Anderson. I tried to look for stats, but couldn't find it. Can anyone find that list. i'd be curious to see it.

Eric Dickerson and Eddie George were the other two.

Dickerson:6'3 218

George: 6'3 235

Eric Dickerson and Eddie George were the other two.

Dickerson:6'3 218

George: 6'3 235

Larry Johnson 6-1 230

Jamal Anderson 5-11 237

James Wilder 6-3 225

Hmmm. Doesn't really show a correlation between size and production after their 400 carry seasons. I'd have to see their ages at the time that they had 400 carries also. LJ was 27 last year.

Here are some stats that show their 400 carry seasons and the season after:

Wilder age 26:

1984 tam | 16 | 407 1544 3.8 13 | 85 685 8.1 0 |

1985 tam | 16 | 365 1300 3.6 10 | 53 341 6.4 0 |

Dickerson age 26:

1986 ram | 16 | 404 1821 4.5 11 | 26 205 7.9 0 |

1987 ind | 9 | 223 1011 4.5 5 | 13 133 10.2 0 |

George age 27:

2000 ten | 16 | 403 1509 3.7 14 | 50 453 9.1 2 |

2001 ten | 16 | 315 939 3.0 5 | 37 279 7.5 0 |

Anderson age 26:

1998 atl | 16 | 410 1846 4.5 14 | 27 319 11.8 2 |

1999 atl | 2 | 19 59 3.1 0 | 2 34 17.0 0 |

Johnson's last year age 27:

2006 Kansas City 16 416 1789 111.8 4.3 17 41 410 25.6 10.0 78 11.5 21 2 2 2

We could make a comparison based on the next year's production.

1987 was a strike year so Dickerson's number are somewhat skewed. I believe he also had 200+ yards in 3 games with the rams that year before going to the colts.

I think you have to throw out Andersons numbers cause you don't really know if his injury was a result of all those carries the previous year or not.

Dickerson still had success after his 400+ carry season and you can argue that Wilders next season saw very little drop off. So that leaves you with Eddie George as the only one with a significant drop in production.

So throwing out Andersons #s and with LJ yet to run a down this year you have 3 players to compare. Dickerson continued to have success, Wilder had success the following year still getting 365 carries but after that never managed more than 190 carries in a season, and George's production dropped the next year and never really improved.

So really you have 3 guys who have done this and all of their careers took different paths afterwards. I'm with ouvan on this one. To me there is not enough evidence that show he won't be as productive as before. And you know for sure he can get the job done. So what if the trade him and get McFadden or something next year. Mcfadden is capable of being a bust. You already know Johnson can get it done. Pay the man.

I know all of them have sucked after 400 carries.

1987 was a strike year so Dickerson's number are somewhat skewed. I believe he also had 200+ yards in 3 games with the rams that year before going to the colts.

I think you have to throw out Andersons numbers cause you don't really know if his injury was a result of all those carries the previous year or not.

Dickerson still had success after his 400+ carry season and you can argue that Wilders next season saw very little drop off. So that leaves you with Eddie George as the only one with a significant drop in production.

So throwing out Andersons #s and with LJ yet to run a down this year you have 3 players to compare. Dickerson continued to have success, Wilder had success the following year still getting 365 carries but after that never managed more than 190 carries in a season, and George's production dropped the next year and never really improved.

So really you have 3 guys who have done this and all of their careers took different paths afterwards. I'm with ouvan on this one. To me there is not enough evidence that show he won't be as productive as before. And you know for sure he can get the job done. So what if the trade him and get McFadden or something next year. Mcfadden is capable of being a bust. You already know Johnson can get it done. Pay the man.

When I looked at all their career stats, Eddie George was the only one that maintained 300 carries for about 3 or 4 years after the 400 carry season. Then he went downhill fast.

To be honest, LJ to the Giants would make more sense, but then again, the best place for him to go would be with the Titans. Him and Vince Young would be sick!

Indeed, he would be sick with Vince Young, but I think Tennessee is happy with their Lendale White/Chris Henry(rookie from Arizona)/Chris Brown committee.

My opinion? The Packers should be all over him. They couldn't get Marshawn, and Morency is at best a Spell HB. LJ to the Pack makes perfect sense to me...except for the fact that their FO is cheap as hell.

Archived