Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brady vs. Manning

Coltsalr

Brady marched his team down the field in the final 2 minutes of both of those superbowls. The ball didn't magically show up in field goal range (although that kasay kick off did help that one year)

You gotta take Brady. Another super bowl for Manning, maybe I'll think about it....

Sorry, I can't stand Brady. He's like Jeff Gordon in NASCAR. Silver Spoon. Everything goes his way no matter what. I'll give him kudos for being clutch, but he didn't light it up against the Rams, only when it mattered and the Carolina game was a shootout. And you're right, Kasay did help.

If the Patriots would've had Manning all those years do you think they would've won those Super Bowls?

I do.

The question is how would Brady have done in Indy (not just last year).

I think Manning is better, but he has definitely had much more to work with on the offensive side of the ball. I think Brady would put up "fairly" similar numbers if he had Manning’s weapons.

I think they are probably as close as you can get, just like Montana, Elway, & Marino. You really can't go wrong with either. :2cents:

Here's how I look at this...

In a vacuum, Manning is the better player handsdown. He clearly has better QB "skills" and has more to offer from a physical standpoint. Same goes for Dan Marino over say, Joe Montana. Problem is, football isn't played in a vacuum. There are tons of variables. When it comes to leadership, self-sacrifice, toughness, and ability to deliver in the clutch... Brady has the edge across the board.

What kind of QB are you when you are getting your brains beat in because your line can't block? What kind of QB are you when your top 2 WRs are hurt? What kind of QB are you in a driving rain storm or 2 ft of snow? What about when the game is on the line and there's 1:20 on the clock? Anyone who says they'd take Manning over Brady in any of these instances is a complete fool.

Think about this for a second... how many times have you seen Manning rattled to the point where he looks like Rex Grossman? Where he's staring at the rush, has happy feet, and completes more balls to DBs than WRs? It happens at least 2 or 3 times per season and every year in the playoffs.

(Ironically, Indy's defense carried them to the title last year. I mean, Manning flat out stunk the first 2 games and the first half of the New England game. He was incredible in the 2nd half of that game and then was decent in the Super Bowl.)

Now think about Brady... how many times a year do you see him rattled? Maybe once per year, if that and it's usually in Miami. How many times in the playoffs? Against SD last year. That's about it.

Has Brady had the better defense? Of course. But hasn't Manning had the better offense? Certainly... which is why the idea that Brady has had the better supporting cast is bunk.

When it was Brady 3 and Manning 0, I wouldn't even entertain the discussion. Anyone who still propped up Manning was just a fantasy football geek. Now that Manning has 1, it becomes a least debatable. If he can get another 1 then I'd consider them even based on Manning's prolific passing #s.

:cheers: I've been trying to say this all along but some guys would rather have the outrageous stats over the cool "Montana like" Qb. I will take Brady any day to lead my team, its the intangibles, not just the physical abilities.

Actually you're right, Rams it was 17 all and Carolina it was 29 all. But I still can't give Brady full credit for either one. He played a big part, but he didn't single handedly win them. Their D won the game against StL, keeping their high powered offense off the field and if it weren't for Kasay, they may have played OT.

Did Peyton single handidly win his 1st superbowl? Don't think so bro. Next.....

If manning wins one more SB this debate is over. No question it is manning. Manning is prolly the most intelligent QB to ever play the game. He sees the game better than anyone else. Another point that was raised in this thread was that Tom Brady could not have won a super bowl with the colts whereas Peyton Manning would have won the same amount of superbowls, if not more, with the Patriots. When it is all said and done Manning will be the best QB to have played the game, more rings or not, however 2 rings will cement his place at the top.

Watch what Brady does with Moss, Stallworth, and Welker. I want to see how Manning would do with Reche' Caldwell, David Givens, or Deion Branch. I'm not saying they were on the same team last year, but I'd want to see how Manning would make the Superbowl twice with David Givens and Deion Branch. IMO, the Patriots play in a much harder division than the Colts do. Brady still lead the team to 3 SB's in 4 years.

Look how many times Manning folded in the clutch, before last season. Brady can keep his composure in the clutch.

Brady wasn't very clutch when they showed off in the AFC title game. Furthermore I don't think a QB should only be evaluated based on how well they perform with the game on the line. As mike shanahan said, the effectiveness of a QB is measured in his 3rd down completion percentage. and I agree with him to a large degree.

If manning wins one more SB this debate is over. No question it is manning. Manning is prolly the most intelligent QB to ever play the game. He sees the game better than anyone else. Another point that was raised in this thread was that Tom Brady could not have won a super bowl with the colts whereas Peyton Manning would have won the same amount of superbowls, if not more, with the Patriots. When it is all said and done Manning will be the best QB to have played the game, more rings or not, however 2 rings will cement his place at the top.

Sorry try again... Tom Brady has the better stats when it counts the most in the Superbowl. I know you'll say well Manning hasn't played in that many Superbowls, of course not, how many Qbs have? And Manning may never.

So here it is, the reason Brady is better imho until Manning proves he can do the same things in the biggest game of their lives. Brady is my pick for qb, may not be better physically, but if I'm running a team and he puts these numbers up in Superbowls. Thats what it comes down to, how do they play in Championships?

So far Brady has it, and he didn't just get lucky and throw 6 tds to 1pick in those superbowls. Can't say its b/c he had the better offense in those games either, so you can argue until your Colts blue in the face, but Brady has the better numbers in championships and Superbowls bottom line.

Brady has completed 71 pass att. for 735 yards and 6 TDS in 3 superbowls. He has only thrown 1 pick, in 3 superbowls, he has done nothing but put his team in the position to win.

So far Manning has actually not put up anything close to these numbers in Championships and Superbowls, google it, if you may.

Can you honestly say that Manning has outplayed Brady in these types of games, no, not honestly.

I'll take the Qb that has the better Postseason stats, wins, and superbowls over any Qb.

For the record Peyton has only thrown for 1td and 1 pick and 247 yds in the superbowl, so he has some catching up to do w/ Brady. Even if Peyton does win another, it won't be w/o his D carrying him to the victory b/c he doesn't even come close to Brady's championship stats, and he may never, nobody will know until they both retire.

1 thing we do know is Brady is making his great championship play a habit, were as Manning has made playing inconsistent in championships a habit. End of story, Brady :1stplace:

Brady wasn't very clutch when they showed off in the AFC title game. Furthermore I don't think a QB should only be evaluated based on how well they perform with the game on the line. As mike shanahan said, the effectiveness of a QB is measured in his 3rd down completion percentage. and I agree with him to a large degree.

That's very true about the 3rd down completion percentage. But if a QB cant perform well in the clutch, you wont go too far. Just like Manning when he folded those times with the Pats...if he was a little more relaxed in those games, the Colts could've won them. But his INT's cost them the game IMO. There were alot of times they were in the redzone, and he threw INT's, when they could've been td's or field goals. I have never seen a QB tap dance as much as him when the pressure is on. I just feel Brady is a much more complete QB than Manning, but that may just be me.

Sorry try again... Tom Brady has the better stats when it counts the most in the Superbowl. I know you'll say well Manning hasn't played in that many Superbowls, of course not, how many Qbs have? And Manning may never.

So here it is, the reason Brady is better imho until Manning proves he can do the same things in the biggest game of their lives. Brady is my pick for qb, may not be better physically, but if I'm running a team and he puts these numbers up in Superbowls. Thats what it comes down to, how do they play in Championships?

So far Brady has it, and he didn't just get lucky and throw 6 tds to 1pick in those superbowls. Can't say its b/c he had the better offense in those games either, so you can argue until your Colts blue in the face, but Brady has the better numbers in championships and Superbowls bottom line.

Brady has completed 71 pass att. for 735 yards and 6 TDS in 3 superbowls. He has only thrown 1 pick, in 3 superbowls, he has done nothing but put his team in the position to win.

So far Manning has actually not put up anything close to these numbers in Championships and Superbowls, google it, if you may.

Can you honestly say that Manning has outplayed Brady in these types of games, no, not honestly.

I'll take the Qb that has the better Postseason stats, wins, and superbowls over any Qb.

For the record Peyton has only thrown for 1td and 1 pick and 247 yds in the superbowl, so he has some catching up to do w/ Brady. Even if Peyton does win another, it won't be w/o his D carrying him to the victory b/c he doesn't even come close to Brady's championship stats, and he may never, nobody will know until they both retire.

1 thing we do know is Brady is making his great championship play a habit, were as Manning has made playing inconsistent in championships a habit. End of story, Brady :1stplace:

I understand your point and for the record I was never comparing stats in only the playoffs or even the superbowl because that would be stupid considering Brady has played im more postseason games.

And if you wanna base a whole argument on who is a better QB by postseason performances than Doug Williams wins this contest hands down, however, you can't do that because QBs cant just be judged on postseason performances.

That's very true about the 3rd down completion percentage. But if a QB cant perform well in the clutch, you wont go too far. Just like Manning when he folded those times with the Pats...if he was a little more relaxed in those games, the Colts could've won them. But his INT's cost them the game IMO. There were alot of times they were in the redzone, and he threw INT's, when they could've been td's or field goals. I have never seen a QB tap dance as much as him when the pressure is on. I just feel Brady is a much more complete QB than Manning, but that may just be me.

fair enough. :)

Manning. Defense wins Superbowls and Paloffs ( :) ) games. Manning's defense finally showed up in the postseason, and what happened? Tom Brady, however, is one heck of a QB, and not too far behind. He has the mind that Manning has, he just doesn't have quite the same physical tools.

EDIT: And as for who will be remembered more prominently....that's easy. The best QB of all time will be remembered moreso than a QB that won some SB's. So, Manning, who essentially will own every throwing record in the NFL by the time he retires, will be the most well remembered QB.

I understand your point and for the record I was never comparing stats in only the playoffs or even the superbowl because that would be stupid considering Brady has played im more postseason games.

And if you wanna base a whole argument on who is a better QB by postseason performances than Doug Williams wins this contest hands down, however, you can't do that because QBs cant just be judged on postseason performances.

Like I said before, I don't know about you but I'll take the Qb that has the better Postseason stats, wins, and superbowls over any Qb.

Legends aren't made in the regular season, its what you do in the games that count the most, just compare those numbers and you'll see who the better qb is in those moments. Brady :1stplace:

No can somebody close this thread until Manning can actually compare to Brady in some important games(postseasons, championships, superbowls), not just reg season.

Best line of the thread...debate over :laugh:

thanks, we all know it won't end that easily though. But its true, whos the better qb when the games mean the most? Can Manning fans actually belive that he has outplayed Brady, in the most important games(playoffs, championships, superbowls). Not factually, but they can try :laugh:

thanks, we all know it won't end that easily though. But its true, whos the better qb when the games mean the most? Can Manning fans actually belive that he has outplayed Brady, in the most important games(playoffs, championships, superbowls). Not factually, but they can try :laugh:

Right :silly:. I think Manning is a great QB...but Brady's postseason stats and record is the best. I remember when my cousin thought that Brady wasnt the real deal back in the SB with the Rams, and then after the 2nd SB, he couldnt deny it any longer...he knows now.

Right :silly:. I think Manning is a great QB...but Brady's postseason stats and record is the best. I remember when my cousin thought that Brady wasnt the real deal back in the SB with the Rams, and then after the 2nd SB, he couldnt deny it any longer...he knows now.

If Brady and co don't win a super bowl this year, what will you all say? They've assembled quite a cast in what would be called buying a super bowl if the skins did it.

Actually you're right, Rams it was 17 all and Carolina it was 29 all. But I still can't give Brady full credit for either one. He played a big part, but he didn't single handedly win them. Their D won the game against StL, keeping their high powered offense off the field and if it weren't for Kasay, they may have played OT.

It's football so nobody gets "full credit" for anything. But I'm inclined to give the QB the most credit in a true 2:00 drill, even over the PK who splits the uprights. Assuming they didn't throw an 80 WR screen pass (ala Santana Moss) or benefit from a nice kick returner who took it back to midfield. :)

If Brady and co don't win a super bowl this year, what will you all say? They've assembled quite a cast in what would be called buying a super bowl if the skins did it.

Maybe they do maybe they dont. But they are the clear fav in the AFC and clearly more likely to win it than Indy.

Archived