Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Todd Wades height really be an issue?

AFskinsfan

OL is a strength?

When did we geta quality replacement for Samuels, Jansen and Dockery. Samuels is an average OL and Dock was not very good, Jansen is a PB player when he is not injured and we have not upgraded at any of those positions. When Jansen and Samuels get injured and Wade shows himself to be a downgrade from Dock and JC is out of the game because he got smacked to the turf too many times, do you think we might do something about the OL then? I doubt it. JG/Buges are certain that even the worst players and oft-injured players on the Skins are better than anyone else in the NFL.

In case you didn't watch last season, Laddell Betts gained over 1,000 yards in 9 starts and he did it largely because the O-line kept him clean until he got to the second level. Those are his words too, not mine. We also gave up a near league-low 16 sacks, despite the fact that we started Mark Brunell for nearly half the season. We have three guys who could be pro-bowlers when healthy in Samuels, Thomas, and Jansen. Samuels graded out as THE most effective O-lineman in the league by football outsiders. We also have two serviceable replacements at tackle should Jansen or Samuels get injured in Wade and Jason Fabini. Interior line depth is a bit of an unknown, but it is that way for nearly 100% of the teams in the NFL.

Yeah, I'd say that O-line is a strength of this team.

I think the main issue at hand is going to be the leverage issue. Football in general is a game of leverage. D-tackles play low and through the guard while D-ends play wider and a little higher. Because of his height, if a D-tackle can get low enough on him with enough of a burst, it can cause Wade to lose balance. Losing balance, even for a second, could be disastrous and blow up many plays.

I think Wade is a very good player but his height could very well get in the way. I'd like more of a security option back there if we see a lot of DTs start racking up sacks on us, because we know where those would have come from.

Exactly. Well said.

just in general, i am expecting an O-line drop off this year, just cause thats what can happen when a piece of the puzzle is out of the equation, i think O-line, and D-line success is helped by great players, but i think its MADE by the entire unit. they have to understand each others tendencies, and trust each other, if wade is thinking instead of playing, (see andre carter) you have a drop off, they should start a guard, and move wade in slowly.

Well, wasn't Dockery 6 foot 6? I dont believe an inch or 2 could make that much of a difference. I would think it would be more of his inexperience at the position that would cause a problem.

Can someone refresh my memory, didn't we have Brandon Winey back in 03-04? Wasn't he around 6 foot 7 or 6 foot 8?

I didn't think Winey was that bad of a player

Well, wasn't Dockery 6 foot 6? I dont believe an inch or 2 could make that much of a difference. I would think it would be more of his inexperience at the position that would cause a problem.

Can someone refresh my memory, didn't we have Brandon Winey back in 03-04? Wasn't he around 6 foot 7 or 6 foot 8?

I didn't think Winey was that bad of a player

Height can be an issue for the interior linemen. It depends on how well he can bend his knees and keep a low base. He is at a disadvantage when facing strong 6'0-6'2 DTs. He will need to try and stay low against the shorter DTs. I think the biggest task will be learning the new assignments because OT is a completely different position than OG. I have faith Coach Bugel will give him a crash course this summer and get him up to speed.

Height can be an issue for the interior linemen. It depends on how well he can bend his knees and keep a low base. He is at a disadvantage when facing strong 6'0-6'2 DTs. He will need to try and stay low against the shorter DTs. I think the biggest task will be learning the new assignments because OT is a completely different position than OG. I have faith Coach Bugel will give him a crash course this summer and get him up to speed.

I guess it's fortunate that he gets to practice against one of those short, strong DTs in c griff.

OL is a strength?

When did we geta quality replacement for Samuels, Jansen and Dockery. Samuels is an average OL and Dock was not very good, Jansen is a PB player when he is not injured and we have not upgraded at any of those positions. When Jansen and Samuels get injured and Wade shows himself to be a downgrade from Dock and JC is out of the game because he got smacked to the turf too many times, do you think we might do something about the OL then? I doubt it. JG/Buges are certain that even the worst players and oft-injured players on the Skins are better than anyone else in the NFL.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This doesnt even deserve a response. Samuels is an average OL? How much NFL do you actually watch?

And yeah, if Jansen AND Samuels get hurt, we might be in some trouble. But I have a feeling that the other 31 teams in the league cant afford to be without their two starting tackles either.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This doesnt even deserve a response. Samuels is an average OL? How much NFL do you actually watch?

And yeah, if Jansen AND Samuels get hurt, we might be in some trouble. But I have a feeling that the other 31 teams in the league cant afford to be without their two starting tackles either.

simeon rice does give samuels a hard time but he's still one of the elite tackles in the game. It's jansen that may need to be replaced in the near future.

simeon rice does give samuels a hard time but he's still one of the elite tackles in the game. It's jansen that may need to be replaced in the near future.

Yeah and Dwight Freeney absolutely owns Jonathan Ogden, but it does not mean Ogden sucks. Everyone seems to have someone who has their number and gives them trouble. It's simply not possible to be dominant ALL the time. I also seem to remember Rice was pretty quite this year against Samuels too.

As for Jansen, he has struggled with injury the last few years. Hopefully he can shake that, but if not, then we should start looking towards his replacement of course.

Joe Jacoby was 6'7" and he did just fine thank you as a guard at the end of his career.

Now Todd Wade is no Jake but the DL 20 years ago was definitely shorter than today.

It not the size of the dog in the fight ....

Oh, yeah that's not a good thing to say these days ...

I did a search and didnt really find anything on this particular subject. I was reading in anothe post that he is progessing well, but he is too tall for that position and is working hard on his stance. Not being a tall person or a lineman for that matter I really don't know what the impact of being 6'8 would have on that position. Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this. Do you think this could possible be an area of weakness on the line? I do however see Wade as a great pulling gaurd if needed as well as a being good in pass protection, just not sure about the trench work down the middle.

To answer your question, the main way it will effect him is getting lower then the opposing D lineman. That is the biggest problem I see but Joe Bugel is a great coach so hopefully he will figure out a way to negate this issue.

Wade will be in a stance that makes him shorter than JC anyways so that is not a problem. Also, Wade's lankiness may make it harder for him to pull and move in space.

Yeah this kind of worries me, I think we should have gotten someone in FA, but the coaches seem to think it is working out well, I guess we will just have to see. If he sucks then yeah, another offseason mistake...

Wade is going to be fine. I mean he is only 2 inches taller than Dock and thats is not that big of a difference. I think Wade could be better than Dock. The dood is huge and im sure he will get his technic down and will be pushing d-lineman around all season.

I did a search and didnt really find anything on this particular subject. I was reading in anothe post that he is progessing well, but he is too tall for that position and is working hard on his stance. Not being a tall person or a lineman for that matter I really don't know what the impact of being 6'8 would have on that position. Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this. Do you think this could possible be an area of weakness on the line? I do however see Wade as a great pulling gaurd if needed as well as a being good in pass protection, just not sure about the trench work down the middle.

take your index and thumb and space them 3-5 inches apart. ask yourself if you are standing 5-7 ft behind that person and you are only one 1 inch shorter will that make a difference?

as far as him not being able to get low on his blocks once he works on his footwork he'll be fine. 4 inches isnt 2 ft

Think the key thing here is leverage as has been said a few times but also Wade's body shape,I'm stuck over on the other side of the pond so don't really know what he looks like body wise.I know he is 6'8 but he is listed at 317 and that seems pretty lean to me for a guy that tall, this would suggest and you guys can advise me that he is not the kind of guy with a big lower half (butt,thighs and calves) that is more suited for guard.Dock is 2 inches shorter but 20 pounds heavier.

I play at tackle here in the UK and when I return from an injury that has kept me out for 5 weeks (ankle) I am being moved inside to guard to address a team need.I know I will have an entirely different job on my hands with shorter heavier defensive tackles than I am used and I know I will have to maintain good technique and play low.I have come across a scouting report for Wade which knocks him for playing too high due to inadequate knee flex on occasion and I will be very interested to see how this move inside pans out.

What I will say is that if Coach Bugel thinks the guy can do it I have confidence in the guy until proved otherwise

I think it wil be an asset. By him moving to OG, he will have to adjust his height in order to use it to his advantage. He should easily be able to "shield" the runner.

Archived