Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any fans of "The Watchmen"?

Thanos

Zak Snyder, who directed "300", is directing. David Hayter's script was reviewed a few years ago on AICN and was considered excelent.

There is a rumor that casting offers have been sent out to Patrick Wilson, Keanu Reeves, and Jude Law for the parts of Night Owl, Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias.

Gerard Butler has also hinted that he may have a role somewhere.

BTW, this guy looks like he'd make a good Rorshach:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0120689/4.html

Jason

I know I'm likely in the minority, but I think the Watchmen was dull as all hell. It had such promise, and never really delivered for me. Nifty idea,, way too long in telling it. Some good characters, Rohshach, Dr. Manhattan, Ozymandius, some stupid characters such as the Owl who seemed to dominate the story.

If they want to do Alan Moore,, do Miracleman. Best superhero story ever.

~Bang

I know I'm likely in the minority, but I think the Watchmen was dull as all hell. It had such promise, and never really delivered for me. Nifty idea,, way too long in telling it. Some good characters, Rohshach, Dr. Manhattan, Ozymandius, some stupid characters such as the Owl who seemed to dominate the story.

If they want to do Alan Moore,, do Miracleman. Best superhero story ever.

~Bang

Heck Killing Joke (although somewhat dated) would be great as well.

BTW, this guy looks like he'd make a good Rorshach:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0120689/4.html

Jason

That looks an awful lot like Toombs from the X-Files. He would be a good choice.

I would also consider Brad Dourif a good choice. Without question this will be the key casting of the movie.

I can definitely see Jude Law as Ozymandias.

I remember reading these ravenously as they first came out and being blown away. There's almost no way the movie can live up to the comic, but I applaud them for trying.

"Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach..."

Any time Keanu reeves has to speak it's a terrible choice. (Ted "Theodore" Logan excluded.)

He doesn't fit anyone in the Watchmen at all, it's about aging superheroes, not pretty boys.

The only pretty boy is Ozymandius, and no way in hell Reeves can pull off being 'the Smartest Man in the World". (Jeez, just seeing that in type is funny... no way in hell.)

That would be like casting Bozo the Clown as Hannibal Lechter.

Reeves as Dr. Manhattan? He spends most of the book being introspective and monologuing about the universe and his place in it. Oh that would be PERFECT for Reeves.

"Oh, like dude,, the mountains of Mars are like, so cool. I think , like, I'll build a clock, you know, and that would be tubular."

A guy like Harrison Ford would do well, especially as the Owl, if he paunches up a bit.

How about take it over the top, and have Dennis Hopper play Rohrshach? I think it could work,, imagine "Frank" from Blue Velvet with a hero complex... he could be scary. He only really has to act with the mask off, a double can be used when he's masked.. and the mask has to move.

George Clooney as the Comedian? Or Artie Lang :laugh:?

Thing is, it dragged in the comics,, i'm afraid on the big screen some director would turn it into a 3.5 hour snoozefest.

~Bang

Any time Keanu reeves has to speak it's a terrible choice.

Someone made a decent argument elsewhere that Keanu's wooden delivery would be very appropriate for Dr. Manhattan. I'm not sold on that, tho.

It also has been suggested that Dr. Manhattan may end up being a CG character. (Considering finding guys who look like the character is going to be tough.) Course, Snyder was able to make Rodrigo Santoro look like he towers over Gerard Butler in "300", so maybe we should look at that as do how he will do it.

Thing is, it dragged in the comics,, i'm afraid on the big screen some director would turn it into a 3.5 hour snoozefest.

It is based on Hayter's script, which back in 2002 was considered hot stuff.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=13607

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=reviews&id=2075

Just as a note, the first was when Hayter was going to direct it, and the second was when Paul Greengrass was going to direct it and move it forward to modern times rather than in the 80s. As far as I know, Snyder is setting it in the 80s again.

Edit: And another review http://movies.ign.com/articles/545/545644p1.html

Jason

Oscar winner Forest Whitaker has just landed a role in The Night Watchman, not to be confused with Watchmen, Zach Snyder’s upcoming adaptation of the classic comic of the same name. If there’s one thing I don’t want to see, it’s Forest Whitaker sweating his way through a pair of tights.

:laugh:

• 9 months later...

Sweet.

The overcoat is too short though, and why does it look like he's wearing a scarf?

If they do him right, he will be one of the all time great cinematic anti-heroes. They better not cut the prison cafeteria scene where he scalds the big bruiser with white hot cooking fat. Pure gold.

One of the best things in comics ever.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

http://movies.msn.com/movies/hitlist/07-15-08_2/?GT1=28101

With the massive San Diego Comic-Con International beginning July 24, let's take a sneak peek at my December visit to the set of "Watchmen," one of the most anticipated film panels at this year's Comic-Con.

Based on the critically acclaimed graphic novel by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, "Watchmen" has been in development for years but finally got the green light under the auspices of "300" director Zack Snyder, who took the story back to its roots by setting it in 1985, the year the graphic novel came out. The story depicts a world where superpowered humans slowly began to appear in the United States after World War II, and the Cold War still looms between the United States and the Soviet Union, which seem destined for a nuclear confrontation. The novel was beloved for the tremendous amount of information within each panel, which producer Deborah Snyder, Zack's wife, said is a subtlety they were attempting to duplicate.

"It was really important to Zack to reference pop culture as much as possible," Deborah Snyder says. "All the layers, the multilayering, that's so rich in the graphic novel, to get at that."

Our visit to the Vancouver, Canada, production began with a tour of a conference room filled with numerous concept drawings that reflected the care and detail Deborah Snyder referenced. We then moved to an outdoor set that recreated almost a complete block of pre-Giuliani-governed New York.

"At one point, we talked about going to New York City, but '85 New York City doesn't really exist anymore," Deborah Snyder says. "And what a nightmare to be shooting on the streets. Then it was, 'Well, OK, how can we build something that's usable, that's gritty, but also that's contained?'"

The press watched a reenactment of a riot scene in which a crowd causes a massive explosion within a storefront. Later, we met several cast members expected to attend Comic-Con next week: Patrick Wilson ("Little Children"), who plays good guy Dan Dreiberg, better known as the second Nite Owl (imagine Batman without the dark side); another "Little Children" vet, Jackie Earle Haley, who suits up as Walter Kovacs, aka the morally sound Rorschach (Batman if he killed and was dirt poor); fast-rising Malin Akerman, who portrays Laurie Juspeczyk, or the second Silk Spectre (a powerless and sexier Wonder Woman); and Matthew Goode ("Match Point"), who play the extremely calculating Adrian Veidt or Ozymandias (the perfect man, essentially).

Filling out the rest of the cast are former "Grey's Anatomy" patient Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who plays the Comedian (the Punisher with a sense of humor), and arguably the most well-known cast member, Billy Crudup, who had to wear an embarrassingly tight motion-capture bodysuit for his role as Dr. Manhattan, a being with godlike powers who has changed the world's balance of power.

Damn, I almost creamed myself reading this! I'm SO ready!!!

Haley could be a great Rorschach...he definitely fits the bill sans costume. Not sure about Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan..he seems to lack the necessary gravitas. The guy cast as Ozy looks ok, but Jude Law would have been PERFECT.

If they do it right, and it sounds like they are, staying true to the story, this will be colossal.

"The Guards Intervened, dragging Kovacs away to Solitary and the other man to the Prison Hospital. According to the Deputy Warden, his Burns were horrific. Hot cooking fat...I don't like to think about it.

"As they dragged him away, Kovacs spoke to the other inmates. He said 'None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me'.

Did the Watchmen feature a character who was blue and walked around naked or something like that? :laugh:

Why yes. Yes it did. I'm wondering if there's gonna be that much, um, male frontal nudity in the movie ... cause I hope not. :)

Archived