Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Mitchell's postgame comments

RySkins

We do need continuity-meaning the same coaches teaching the same system for more then one year. We do need a strong GM who should be the focal pont and the final decision maker. You can have all the input from coaches and scouts but you need one voice to say I am responsible for this decision.

I do find it curious that Snyder called Casserly and told hm he let let the wong person go between Turner and Casserly--that means that he would like to have had GM. However, he has never shown that indication in his actions.

guess there's always one dissenting voice....BM has become a punk. let's be honest fellas....all those superbowl wins didn't roll our way because of Brian Mitchell. His performance here had sunk appreciably. Many liked liked his bravado. Great........how many years has the guy been gone and he's still punking the Skins? Sounds like a peevish child to me!!!! Eff him!!!!

I almost fell in the floor when I saw the break down that Fox showed of former Skins that are now Eagles. I guess I always knew it, but damn that was a smack in the face to see it broken down.

As for Mitchell's comments...You can't argue with the facts, even if he is bitter.

Originally posted by Art

Again, LB, look at the names you mentioned that Snyder was credited with bringing in before the 2000 season. Snyder's move to bring in Carrier, Bruce and Sanders improved our defense 24 spots in the rankings. What an amazing success to lay at Snyder's feet.

The problem with these moves is that we're still suffering from the cap impact they had, and it's not as if we had a championship to make me feel better about about it. Who cares where our defense was ranked if it didn't translate into wins. We tried to shoot the moon in one offseason, it didn't work, and it has taken a few years to recover from the financial mess it produced. I wouldn't call that an amazing success.

For the most part Marty ironed out most of our "cap" issues. Any existing cap issues we have at present stem from our young players playing well enough to earn incentives. And, the moves we made in 2000 did translate into wins. We were 6-2 before the offensive injuries and recognition that 1999 breakout years enjoyed by many key offensive team members were not really breakout years at all, but, rather, career years.

As for what type of financial issues we may or may not have stemming from the 2000 season, can you point to any for me. Marty played on a string because he chose to. He was give $80 million and played with $53 million. The best thing he did here was largely iron out the coming major cap issue we were scheduled to have starting next year.

We had a very productive offseason this year getting some good younger players with starting experience to solid long-term deals. I didn't feel particularly cap influenced signing Wynn, Trotter, Moore, Armstead and Jones to long-term fairly cap friendly deals.

Our coming cap issues stem from contracts we'll have to give to Jansen and Smoot and Bailey and the accelerations due to Arrington and Samuels and in the end, you just have that and know it's right and proper. So, again, can you tell me how it's taken a "few" years to recover from 2000 when two years later we're very active again and actually don't show any signs of having any cap issues whatsoever to this point?

You revisionists are a trip.

We made it to the playoffs in 99 due to timely injuries on the opposing teams but unfortunately that also meant that Danny wouldnt go back on his word to not fire Norv if he made the playoffs.

The defense sucked until he brought in Rhodes and those free agents some of you hate.

Get off of B Johnson jock cause he still sucks this year in Tampon bay is smoke and mirrors and I'd picked J George up too.

The move Danny made isnt what cost us the season back then it was the injuries to the o line WRs and kicker.

We do need continuity and restraint from going for the big name or flashy players in the draft.

Solidify both lines with youth and cap friendly contracts first then you need one more receiver with speed to pair with russell, D Mac, Gardner

Danny made 1 mistake. He should have fired Norv when he fired Casserly.

He signed Deion to be a DB and he played GREAT for us. That also meant that we no longer needed a fulltime return man. Please stop saying we gave up mitchell for Deion, because that ignores so many other factors.

Mitchell was a fair return man for us. He got tons of yards because our defense gave up tons of points and he had lots of KO opportunities. His trashtalking BS is a perfect fit in Philthy. Im glad he's gone.

i refuse the let the statement that deion played great go unanswered.

deion was a HORRIBLE return player--numerous muffs and fumbles (including the one that went off his facemask). 1, count it, 1 good return in a game we would have probably won with a 10 yard return anyway.

on CB, teams threw againt him all day (remember the detriot game?). yes, he didn't give up a touchdown pass, but after surrendering all those yards on key third downs, teams usually just ran it in.

he didn't tackle, he didn't make picks, he was a locker room distraction. his cap hit was brutal.

worst redskin signing ever (just over george and norv)

As I understand it, we currently have just shy of $15 million allocated as "dead cap" money for players no longer on the team in 2002 (roughly 20% of our entire cap :doh:), thanks largely in part to Deion, Carrier and Jeff George. I believe that figure is one of the highest in the league, if not THE highest. Fortunately that figure is scheduled to drop next year, but that's what I mean when I say we've paid for these mistakes for a few years now.

And National Defense...I agree 100% with your statement that Deion was our worst signing ever when you consider how much money we gave him compared to what he gave us.

LB,

We carry substantial dead money every year. Most teams do. The dead money being carried on Jeff George is directly Marty's fault and no one else. Carrier, I believe, is already off the cap. Deion is, well, few of us thought that was a terribly bright move, though he did have a better year for us as a corner than some of you remember and we did improve vastly on defense with him here.

We had more dead money last year stemming from general manager signings like Dana Stubblefield and Tre Johnson, so, as it goes, it's hard to say Snyder has done something radically different than a GM has done for this team.

The difference, of course, is that Snyder can solve the cap with cash and as long as we don't have a major blown pick or injury (which Trotter could be) that is a good fix most of the time.

The stats say otherwise. Everybody's hero Champ has given up more TDs in the past 2 weeks than Deion did. Was it a bad signing? Yep, but that doesnt mean he didnt play great for us. IT just means that his other baggage outweighed his on field performance.

Given the choice of Mitchell as KR and 3rd down back with Cris Dishman at CB or Deion at KR and CB and LArry Centers at 3rd down back, I'd make the same choice again.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Given the choice of Mitchell as KR and 3rd down back with Cris Dishman at CB or Deion at KR and CB and LArry Centers at 3rd down back, I'd make the same choice again.

Perhaps, but that's exactly why they have a salary cap. You have to make SMART decisions. Your comparison is not valid, because it only factors in the talent of the players involved and not the financial ramifications of the moves.

Originally posted by fansince62

guess there's always one dissenting voice....BM has become a punk. let's be honest fellas....all those superbowl wins didn't roll our way because of Brian Mitchell. His performance here had sunk appreciably. Many liked liked his bravado. Great........how many years has the guy been gone and he's still punking the Skins? Sounds like a peevish child to me!!!! Eff him!!!!

If I remember correctly he upset the team with some comments onhis show he had which is one reason he was not retained. BM has always run his mouth, which on hte field wasw fine but you can't rip the team you play for in hte media. If you have a problem with the team take it to them not the media

Archived