Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you could bring one NFL Bust player back....

prophet

If there was one superstar college player that became a total bust in the NFL... that you could bring back just to see if they could make it with another chance who would you pick?

This player must be a high profile college player... that was a huge bust in the NFL....

any era will do

ok here are some of mine...

Andre Ware... If you can bring tommy maddox, rodney peete back as starters ... why not the dude that threw for 5000 yds in a season....

Eric Beinemy ... the name only belongs

Desmond Howard... did you see those michigan games... How could he not make it?

Dan McGwire: Brother of Big Mac... A freakin 6-10 qb that would be freakin awesome...

I think the Desmond Howard bust was the most damaging to the Redskins -- because I think it cost us Joe Gibbs. It was a huge waste of a high, high pick, and with that pick blown, Gibbs knew it was going to be a long haul to bring the Redskins out of their emerging slide. So Gibbs hit the road -- and I can't say I blame him (though he was reportedly behind that pick).

Obviously the Shuler pick was a huge blow, but by that time the Redskins were already a poor team. Howard arguably *caused* us to become a poor team, both by the absence of anticipated talent, and more important, the absence of Gibbs.

How about one of my favorite college players ever....Herschel Walker. I think dude had the talent to make it in the NFL, he just wasn't used correctly in a system built around his strengths.

He could have been a monster player IMO given the right circumstances (think Bum Phillips with Earl Campbell).

Thats a good one TC, he definately should at least be looked at.

As for mine, I am convinced he would have been a superstar if not undone by injury, Steve Emtman

and Chris Zorich, one of the most dominant DLinemen I've ever seen in college

Originally posted by Yusuf06

How about one of my favorite college players ever....Herschel Walker. I think dude had the talent to make it in the NFL, he just wasn't used correctly in a system built around his strengths.

He could have been a monster player IMO given the right circumstances (think Bum Phillips with Earl Campbell).

Good call Yusuf.

Actually, Walker was no bust; it's just that he spent his most productive years in the USFL. The Cowgirls wouldn't have been able to get so much for him if he wasn't a great RB. If he'd gone straight into the NFL, he'd probably have been in MVP contention at least once.

Tony Mandarich comes to mind. He should have at least been able to stay in the league, especially with O-linemen so sorely needed most everywhere.

Lawrence Phillips is perhaps the dumbest player I can think of. He had all the tools to be a star with one exception ... his head.

Here's a few:

Billy Simms: Injuries did him in on the NFL, but at Oklahoma he was amazing. Many OU fans still consider him the best player in shcool history.

Alonozo Highsmith: Big time player at Miami, never amounted to much in the NFL.

And here's an obscure one:

Keith McCants--- I thought he was dominant in college, but he continued a tradition of Bucs' busts.

Good topic

Whoa..hmmmmm well, I think I'm with Brave on this one..Mandarich "should" have been better... that and I still wonder if Heath Shuler would have done better had he won out over gus... or had a chance to tutor under Gibbs.... :cheers:

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

I think the Desmond Howard bust was the most damaging to the Redskins -- because I think it cost us Joe Gibbs. It was a huge waste of a high, high pick, and with that pick blown, Gibbs knew it was going to be a long haul to bring the Redskins out of their emerging slide. So Gibbs hit the road -- and I can't say I blame him (though he was reportedly behind that pick).

Obviously the Shuler pick was a huge blow, but by that time the Redskins were already a poor team. Howard arguably *caused* us to become a poor team, both by the absence of anticipated talent, and more important, the absence of Gibbs.

Say what? Why this idiotic fallacy continues to persist among some fans. The Desmond Howard debacle which cost us 2#1's was all Gibbs fault but that isn't what led to his resignation.

JOE Gibbs left for health reasons and for his desire to spend more time with his family. Why some continue to refuse to believe this is beyond me. If Joe wanted to get back into the NFL-he would've coaches the expansion Panthers or jumped at the offer that some owner made to him recently(Snyder??). He also found something that he can do with his family- his racing teams.

Michael Westbrook. I admit I did not like him early in his Career 95-97 but in 98 he started showing some promise with Trent Green and had a good season in 99 with Brad @ QB. :asta:

Then the 2000 injury came in week 2 and in 2001 Tony Banks was locked on Rod Garner. Has all the tools to be a big named WR never worked out.

I also wonder how Heath would have worked out if he had the chance. Every time I saw Gus “Cement Shoes” Frerotte get sacked and have the “Deer in the headlights” look :stop: on his face, I wonder if Heath would have taken off running and picked up some yards. We will never know. :fortune:

Archived