Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Little Story About Coach Gibbs

Mattskins83

Hey guys, this is a little story that I wanted to pass along about our beloved coach, Mr. Joe Gibbs. Last week I was visiting my girlfriend in Charlotte, NC (which Joe mainly resides) and I was having dinner with her Aunt and Uncle. This was the first time I had met them and he was unaware that I was a Skins fan. He decided to fill me in on a little story when her Uncle and his son were golfing on the Peninsula Golfcourse(ritzy goldcourse in Charlotte). He noticed that far up on the green was Coach Joe, not being a Skins fan himself he wasnt excited, but thought it was pretty cool. As golfers know, there is a certain etiquette involved when hitting a ball on to a green...you make sure the people there are off. Knowing this, he decided to hit the ball, but only because he didnt think he could hit it that far. Sure enough, he blasts the ball and it flys by Joe's torso area. Terribly embarrassed he quickly got on his golfcart and darted to the green. He apologized profusley basically saying, "I didnt think I could hit it that far." Coach Joe responded with his famous snicker replying, "Hey, I'm just impressed you hit the ball that far. I wouldve taken a shot in th head and not said a word!"

I thought this story was pretty funny, not to mention a testament to how good of a person Coach Gibbs is. Many people in his financial position wouldve taken it personally, but he just had a good laugh about it. Theres a good bit of negativity on this bored, and I thought I'd lighten things up a bit. Coach Joe is a class act all the way. Hope you guys enjoyed the story. :helmet:

Thanks for the story. Reading the title, I have to admit that I was already annoyed that this was going to be another one of those fictional character assassination encounters that people have created in the past.

The jury's still out on his success as a head coach this time around, he's not done yet and the record will speak for itself when the time comes, but no one can honestly question the man's character.

thats an awesome story. what a man...what a legend. i couldnt ask for a better coach.

as for you, thomasroane -

stop with the young pups man, dont stereotype people younger than you. im 19 and am 100% behind gibbs. there are plenty of older people looking for a new coach too.

thats an awesome story. what a man...what a legend. i couldnt ask for a better coach.

as for you, thomasroane -

stop with the young pups man, dont stereotype people younger than you. im 19 and am 100% behind gibbs. there are plenty of older people looking for a new coach too.

You're right. I was using a broad brush because the majority are young. Glad you're not one of them though! :)

Whoa ... talk about a Small World. I was in Gibbs' group that day.

My short game was off a bit on the front nine--I kept leaving everything short. Was getting kind aggravated, and I probably said so once too many times. Gibbs and I were sharing a cart, and on our way down the 11th fairway, he turned to me and said he thought he'd noticed that the knuckles on my left hand looked a little pale in my takeaway when chipping. He suggested I might be gripping a bit tight, which as everyone knows is death around the greens. So I took his advice to "hold it like a tube of toothpaste", and sure enough, the rest of the the day I was money around the greens. Ended up shooting a 79, but given that I had a 44 at the turn, all things considered I'd have to say it was a decent day.

I guess the only thing I can't quite figure is how he knew my knuckles were white. I mean, I never take off my glove until I putt. Strange.

But that's not the point.

What's kinda funny--in an ironic (who is this Joe Gibbs guy REALLY) kind of way--is that as we were sipping our iced teas at the 19th hole after the round (his Earl Gray, mine Long Island), he leaned over, kinda conspiratorially, and mentioned that one of his best friends had just won the prestigious Auditor of the Year award the IRS gives out every April.

I was like, "Um ... and?"

He smiles this little devilish smile, looks around to be sure no one's eavesdropping, and says he'd noticed that on the golf bag of the guy who'd nearly decapitated him out there earlier in the day, he'd spotted the man's name tag and address, memorized them (he has a photographic memory), and already "set the wheels in motion."

Apparently, he called his friend from the Pro Shop phone (when we all thought he was in the john) and told him that some gentleman he'd met at a church charity function had been bragging just a bit too loudly about skimming funds and how since he'd gotten so good at it, he never had to work any more and could spend all his time on a golf course. Said he'd reported the guy and his IRS friend was "all over the case."

There was a steely, kind of spooky glint in Coach's eye when he said this, and his voice kind of trailed off as he finished, and took a long, slow sip of his Earl Gray.

"Plus," he said, to no one in particular, "I know the head groundskeeper here. Even as we speak, he's got people pouring coarse-ground sugar into the guy's gas tank in the parking lot."

A cold chill ran up my spine. You think you know a guy.

But you can never really be sure.

A cold chill ran up my spine. You think you know a guy.

But you can never really be sure.

Wow. No kidding. Did this change the way you feel about him at all? Did this make him any less admirable because he showed a somewhat sinister vengeful side, or did it make him more human and therefore more relatable? Or was this perhaps the repressed dark side to the tee toddling, church dwelling, Anheuser dismissing, straight shooting, fatherly chief of the tribe that we're all accustomed to believing can do no wrong?

Lost contact with Springs, my ass. After this, I'd imagine he has six guys in the woods outside his home waiting for a phone call.:)

Wow. No kidding. Did this change the way you feel about him at all? Did this make him any less admirable because he showed a somewhat sinister vengeful side, or did it make him more human and therefore more relatable? Or was this perhaps the repressed dark side to the tee toddling, church dwelling, Anheuser dismissing, straight shooting, fatherly chief of the tribe that we're all accustomed to believing can do no wrong?

Lost contact with Springs, my ass. After this, I'd imagine he has six guys in the woods outside his home waiting for a phone call.:)

I won't lie, it did change the way I feel about him. From now on, the first rule about Gibbs stories is not to talk about Gibbs stories.

:paranoid:

Archived