Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fatal Chesapeake Bay Bridge Crash Closes Westbound Span

E-Dog Night

Apparently, some damage was done to the deck, the extent of which isn't known at this time. At the risk of sounding like a typically uncaring, unsympathetic & selfish motorist, I'm going to Bethany Beach this weekend, and I really hope this doesn't snarl things too badly. I suppose I could always go around via Baltimore on the return trip if necessary.

Just heard on the news that it was a head-on collision. The westbound span has 3 lanes, and in the afternoon rush hour, the far left lane turns into an eastbound lane in order to relieve traffic.

Damn that's scary. Head-on collision, at speeds likely around 50 MPH (give or take), on a bridge, 110 feet above the water.

Update: The crash occured when a trailer being towed by one vehicle detached and other cars swerved to avoid it, according to NBC 4. So it doesn't look like the head-to-head traffic was the cause, although it must have made the whole situation a lot worse.

Yeah I live down by the bridge as well. Traffic was no fun at all. They ended up opening things back up around 11:20pm. The good thing traffic wise was that there seems to be no significant damage to the bridge. If it were, today would be really bad.

The good thing traffic wise was that there seems to be no significant damage to the bridge.

Indeed. This accident has really demonstrated how important that bridge is to area traffic. Without it, the entire dynamic of the region is severly altered.

Word is that the guy neglected to chain the trailer properly. Amazing how one small oversight can alter the lives of so many people. Three dead, one in serious condition, families changed forever, all because of a few feet of chain.

Indeed. This accident has really demonstrated how important that bridge is to area traffic. Without it, the entire dynamic of the region is severly altered.

Word is that the guy neglected to chain the trailer properly. Amazing how one small oversight can alter the lives of so many people. Three dead, one in serious condition, families changed forever, all because of a few feet of chain.

Well said. My thoughts are with those families, they must be going through hell today.

Archived