Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When you buy a Dell/Gateway/whatever

RLeVan

Just wanted to put this up here that when you buy a boxed computer, you aren't getting the OS straight from Microsoft. What you are getting is a watered down, platform specific OS. For us older folks, remember when you you bought the discs, you owned them to install the OS on any computer you like? Dry installing a Dell,Gateway,HP MS OS on another computer. You know, the OS that was supposedly included with your purchase? Not to mention all that useless crap that came included with the install CD. After looking over the bundled media, apparently the suits are running the company instead of the techs.

Just a heads up. You get what you pay for. 2 years down the road, I get a strong feeling that many of the box buyers will be asking for an upgrade. If your weary on about your upgrade, ask yourself if you want to bay $800 for a 2yr upgrade or $1000 for a 5yr upgrade. And to think, I'm not even in the computer business, but then again I'm not into skimming people out of their hard earned money.

Buyer beware!

when I bought my Dell Dimension 4000 or whatever back in fall 2002, I got a seperate cd for Windows XP Pro which I installed on my computer I built 3 years later, and on my brothers laptop at the time.

I did pay extra to get XP Pro, so maybe that's why I got another cd.

Hate to break it to ya people, but the box computers can't be upgraded. The Harddrive and sounds card and video card usually are melded into one unit to save money. That's over 50% of your upgradable items right there. It may be alittle more money, but go custom so you can swap out and upgrade pieces when you need to in the future.

Just ask them for the CD, they'll usually ship them out to you.

You have to pay extra if you want a straight, legit retail copy of Windows XP.

Hate to break it to ya people, but the box computers can't be upgraded. The Harddrive and sounds card and video card usually are melded into one unit to save money. That's over 50% of your upgradable items right there. It may be alittle more money, but go custom so you can swap out and upgrade pieces when you need to in the future.

Not necessarily true. Yes, their cheaper computers come with integrated graphics/sound, but that doesn't mean that you can't buy additional graphics/sound cards and disable the integrated ones.

This is absolutely not true. It might be true for a few machines from Compaq and HP, but the vast majority of the Dells can be upgraded.

And how do you 'meld' a hard drive and video card into one unit? :laugh:

I personally go to local businesses to buy my computers. I have never bought a box computer because it's just not customizable enough. Plus with the local guys, they appreciate your business and always have a person to person interaction most of the time they will remember you too. I've had nothing but good experiences with the local guys. Plus you're supporting local businesses which makes things better in the long run.

I recently upgraded my little nieces computer because the Sims 2 I bought her a few months ago (she didn't like it), has grown on her (she loves it now)...funny how that works.

Anyway, so I felt sorry for her cos she had no soundcard/speakers and her Dell was just making fart like noises every now and then and her graphics card, don't know what it was, but it didn't even have a cooling fan...so it must've been crap and it was crashing after 5 minutes of the Sims.

Her father is a complete incompetent peasent and can't even switch on a computer let alone use one. If it was for him, she'd grow up as ignorant as he is. So I installed my old FX5500 graphics card (still good for oldish games like the Sims 2) and I bought her some speakers and a sound card, but then discovered she had onboard sound...so took the card back and used the money to buy her a Nintendo DS game instead. I believe in not wasting money.

Anyway...my point is her Dell is a load of crap...with that silly chassis thing that opens like the bonnet (hood) of a car. But at least it was upgradeable...just.

Archived