Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fresh Perspective For The Mark Maysayers

LoudMouth12thMan

Greg Williams built his defense around blitzing....when our defense played well, we blitzed a ton. Now that our secondary is good, we can afford to blitz, I hope they give H.B. Blades some playing time he was very productive just had a height issue...use him to blitz!

This is a good point. I want to see Marcus Washington and Laron Landry in the backfield whenever possible!

until we figure out how we are going to work around this irony please refer to him only by his last name.....

Sorry :( Will do :silly:

Greg Williams built his defense around blitzing....when our defense played well, we blitzed a ton. Now that our secondary is good, we can afford to blitz, I hope they give H.B. Blades some playing time he was very productive just had a height issue...use him to blitz!

Sure, blitzing is his forte, and without it G-dub is crippled as a coach. It's his philosophy to make the qb uncomfortable with pressure. So, if he can rely on his secondary, maybe he'll call more blitzes.

Nice Post

The Skins didn't have the picks to get DL in the second and third rounds... and they made a decision not to trade picks, so they won't have to go through this again next years draft

They bit the bullet

Have to agree with you Bubba. Next season we will be able to use early picks on d-line, maybe even a first rounder.

We eventually had to take our losses and stop mortaging draft picks.

At first, everyone was talking about how we needed to keep all of our picks, and now they are mad that we didn't get a d-lineman.

BTW...I am not saying you never should trade future picks, but just not the second, third, and fourth rounder. The fourth rounder is the only pick we got true value from, and that is if B. Lloyd comes around like I think he will.

Third rounder = Duckett = GONE

Second rounder = Rocky McIntosh (I don't have a huge problem with this but I feel as though we could have just stayed put and landed our guy).

Sartz might be our pass rusher, put this in a few other threads but i have been researching him since i really didnt know much about him, he looks to have pass rush ability. 7.5 senior year. i see "3rd down packages" in his future. some of these picks have me befuddled the closer i look the better they appear. still unsure of palmer and the TE. the backers although i was hoping for at least a little DL help i like blades. just a little confused

Let's not go crazy guys. We didnt address ALL our needs. We still have a big need a DE, IMO. I dont fee comfortable with Daniels starting.

That said, we didnt really have the means to address defensive line. Our picks just didnt dictate that. We did fill needs though, and that should improve the team. And like Ive said before, we dont NEED a dominant DL to be a good defense. When GW's defense was top 10, we didnt have a great defensive line. We just need to tackle better, and stay healthy. I think the moves of Fletcher, Smoot, and Landry should help a lot.

I disagree with you on Daniels. He was hurt last year and JG said as much during his press conference. He got the necessary wrist surgeries and should be good to go. Like the thread starter said, injuries are what cause last year's debacle.

Well then, according to most of you guys we SHOULD make the playoffs next year. This is absolutely fantastic news! If everyone else who was saying our FO needed to pick DL in the draft (even though we KNOW Vinny Cerrato personally refuses to draft D-line, esp. DTs) then its PARTY TIME! SUPER BOWL HERE WE COME!!!

I can't wait to see how Greg Williams defense pans out now that we have the final piece in Laron Landry and back-up LBs! This means that even if Griffen or Salave'a should go down,, we are in prime shape to make at least a playoff run! NO MORE LOSING SEASONS! AWESOME!

You know what, I apologize for all my previous 'insight', for I now see the light. Football actually ISN"T about the trenches! We better tell the rest of the NFL so that we don't steam roll them year after year as they continue to draft D-line in the high rounds!

We now need to figure out how 4.5 yds/carry and 13 sacks in 2006-2007 isn't as bad as it seems because of what our line did 2 years ago! I mean, that part just keeps rearing its ugly head. How can we use the past to discredit our recent past. We need to make sure everyone knows that the 2005-2006 past is the 'correct' past and last season just a 'fluke' or 'pretend' past. We must tie up all the loose ends or the Naysayers...or Maysayers as we now call them...might rear their ugly head in our BLISS of Enlightenment! Hail to the Redskins!

I believe the issue is injuries, nit talent

the fact Golston and Montgomery both got playing time is a huge plus

the DE we have Daniels, Wynn, Evans, and Carter

older veterans,, yes.. IF they stay healthy not as bad as everyone wants to complain about

The Skins didn't have the picks to get DL in the second and third rounds... and they made a decision not to trade picks, so they won't have to go through this again next years draft

They bit the bullet

Nice post completly agree, i think that if our DE's can can healthy we should be set, NEXT year we should draft D-Line, i am VERY happy with this years draft.

I think another fact is this. A 5-11 team obviously will have a lot of holes. The problem is, it takes more than 1 (depleted) draft to adequately fill those holes. I think we did well with the picks we had. Sartz and Blades were big pickups. I was very surpried either one was available. Sartz has excellent size and can add more weight, bring him to near DE size. Blades is just very smart and talented and dropped due to size concerns. I am sure London will tell him all about how to overcome that.

Well then, according to most of you guys we SHOULD make the playoffs next year. This is absolutely fantastic news! If everyone else who was saying our FO needed to pick DL in the draft (even though we KNOW Vinny Cerrato personally refuses to draft D-line, esp. DTs) then its PARTY TIME! SUPER BOWL HERE WE COME!!!

I can't wait to see how Greg Williams defense pans out now that we have the final piece in Laron Landry and back-up LBs! This means that even if Griffen or Salave'a should go down,, we are in prime shape to make at least a playoff run! NO MORE LOSING SEASONS! AWESOME!

You know what, I apologize for all my previous 'insight', for I now see the light. Football actually ISN"T about the trenches! We better tell the rest of the NFL so that we don't steam roll them year after year as they continue to draft D-line in the high rounds!

We now need to figure out how 4.5 yds/carry and 13 sacks in 2006-2007 isn't as bad as it seems because of what our line did 2 years ago! I mean, that part just keeps rearing its ugly head. How can we use the past to discredit our recent past. We need to make sure everyone knows that the 2005-2006 past is the 'correct' past and last season just a 'fluke' or 'pretend' past. We must tie up all the loose ends or the Naysayers...or Maysayers as we now call them...might rear their ugly head in our BLISS of Enlightenment! Hail to the Redskins!

Again, as I've stated in other posts. Reading is such an important part of understanding one's argument or point of view. Clearly, you didn't read b/c had you read my post, you'd have understood that the point was that we didn't need to address the "trenches" b/c when the soldiers are healthy, the war will be won. Got it, soldier? ;) You're all over the place with this post with regard to what is "what you mean" and "what is sarcasm." Just don't get it, sorry :) Still love ya' though as long as your' one of us.

I digress, the point is simply that we didn't need to get a stud Dlineman in the first round, we already have two promising rookie tackles. Secondly, the late rounds may not have had anything to offer with regard to Dlinemen. You nor I have any idea what the Redskins draft board looked like.

Lastly, last year was not a fluke but rather a series of unfortunate events including injuries, new coaches/egos, and no chemistry...oh yeah, and the Brunell man crush and Holdman The Horrible :D:silly: Seriously, I'm of the belief that injuries played the biggest role. The sooner people come to terms with the fact that injuries plagued us, the better. We've addressed depth in many areas. No we didn't address depth at DT but there's still time. With a year under their belt, Anthony and Golston ought to be that much better :2cents:

HTTR

Again, as I've stated in other posts. Reading is such an important part of understanding one's argument or point of view. Clearly, you didn't read b/c had you read my post, you'd have understood that the point was that we didn't need to address the "trenches" b/c when the soldiers are healthy, the war will be won. Got it, soldier? ;) You're all over the place with this post with regard to what is "what you mean" and "what is sarcasm."

The point is simply that we didn't need to get a stud Dlineman in the first round, we already have two promising rookie tackles. Secondly, the late rounds may not have had anything to offer with regard to Dlinemen. You nor I have any idea what the Redskins draft board looked like.

Lastly, last year was not a fluke but rather a series of unfortunate events including injuries, new coaches/egos, and no chemistry...oh yeah, and the Brunell man crush and Holdman The Horrible :D:silly: Seriously, I'm of the belief that injuries played the biggest role. The sooner people come to terms with the fact that injuries plagued us, the better. We've addressed depth in many areas. No we didn't address depth at DT but there's still time. With a year under their belt, Anthony and Golston ought to be that much better :2cents:

HTTR

I think another fact is this. A 5-11 team obviously will have a lot of holes. The problem is, it takes more than 1 (depleted) draft to adequately fill those holes. I think we did well with the picks we had. Sartz and Blades were big pickups. I was very surpried either one was available. Sartz has excellent size and can add more weight, bring him to near DE size. Blades is just very smart and talented and dropped due to size concerns. I am sure London will tell him all about how to overcome that.

Nice points, not sure about the late rounders cuz I don't know about them but I think we adequately filled the holes we had on D. You can't call injuries holes though. Injuries don't create holes, depth does. I think we've addressed a lot of depth issues at many positions, and whether or not you believe we need a lot of depth at Dline we still have time to do that in the coming months and next years draft (as Bubba mentioned).

I disagree I think we could use a stud DT or DE, but I think when Adams went Gibbs and company took a quick look at trade scenarios and said, you know what, this Landry kid is likely to be with us longer then any DL we could take here. LEts take him and let our DLine picks gel another year. Which isn't a bad scenario because if they do gell better then maybe we have more flexibility next year for a pick. I think Landry is a good pick and I agree no 1 pick in the 1st round is going to fix our needs like that.

:doh: Not sure if you realize the difference between a pep rally and a "reality check." Despite a losing effort in '06, maybe we "get it" now. Is that hard to grasp? :) Come back later for the sock hop or whatever they call it:laugh:

HTTR

I still don't think we need D-line help right now, and I just mean right now. Yes we should address it soon, like next year in the draft or through FA (if he's young), but we don't need D-line help right now. I agree that GW's D is not set up like everyone else's scheme, but we do need a strong Dline rotation. If we have two guys on the Dline or more banged up next year we could be in trouble :2cents:

HTTR

This thread has been a pep rally for me. Go team!!! Thanks, I needed that.

The reality check will come this fall. My pet peeve is giving grades before one takes the tests (grading of this years draft will be determined by how they do playing football this next season).

While we have not improved our D-line (so far) we have improved improved our LBs and so our run D should be better than last year. We have greatly improved our secondary (our CBs are better if Shaun returns to form and our S's could be a special duo). So overall I am hopeful that our D will be back on top.

This thread has been a pep rally for me. Go team!!! Thanks, I needed that.

The reality check will come this fall. My pet peeve is giving grades before one takes the tests (grading of this years draft will be determined by how they do playing football this next season).

While we have not improved our D-line (so far) we have improved improved our LBs and so our run D should be better than last year. We have greatly improved our secondary (our CBs are better if Shaun returns to form and our S's could be a special duo). So overall I am hopeful that our D will be back on top.

Not from me sir, not from me. No where have I stated that b/c of our offseason we will win more games, nowhere ;) . I hope that this post/thread has been more of a "reality" check with regard to where we really are as a team IMO. We have the intangibles through the right players/personnel, but sometimes injuries and unexpected barriers get in the way of "the plan." Are we all of a sudden a better FO or franchise? No, but we may be on the right path. No one should be handing out draft grades until the year is over IMO. It's all a bunch of blind men throwing darts at a picture Jerry Jones wife at this point :paranoid: :whoknows: Don't peg me or mistake me for an blind optimist. For all I know, we're 8-8 at best this year. I'd jump up and down about that at this point. Anything beyond .500 would be a pleasant surprise regardless of our offseason moves or the direction of our Franchise on the whole. A winning season would be nice, wouldn't it? :)

HTTR

Archived