Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Panic LB's

Failing2BOptimistic

Stupid fans who lack an understanding of how we play and the media, who largely don't know football thought we were light on the defensive line. Adding a good, young tackle or end would not have been a horrible move, obviously, but, the team has been obvious for MONTHS what the actual weakness was and no one here has really been confused by the answer.

While I understand you, INCORRECTLY, think our weakness is defensive line, the real weakness was coverage and linebacking, which is why we're doing so very much to improve the ACTUAL problem with last year's team. In many cities this attention to fixing problems would be lauded. Here, it's condemned by people who have NO IDEA what's happening on the field as the people who do know, not being smart enough to figure it out.

I'm not giving a nod to the personnel evaluation skills of anyone we have. I'm merely pointing out that the Redskins have, by ALL accounts, a smart, knowledgeable coaching staff. Those coaches know every play they call and they know every job everyone has. They are NEVER wrong when looking at a play and concluding the problem on it was X, or Y, or Z.

It's time YOU open your eyes to the reality of the offseason that our problems are those we're addressing, meaning, our problems aren't those you think we have.

amen to that and thanks for writing it out so i didnt have to. hey, at least the OP lived up to his user name marvelously.

Prediction: People still keep posting this crap over and over even after it's been pointed out time and time again that we don't have the personnel to run it.

Not sure why you think that. Wynn, Evans and Daniels are essentially PERFECT 3-4 ends. Carter has already played, below average of course, outside backer in the 3-4. The backers we just added project well for 3-4. Now, we are a 4-3 team, but, we will have more 3-4 looks than we've had in the past. We don't have a perfect 3-4 nose which is why we won't run it all the time.

Not sure why you think that. Wynn, Evans and Daniels are essentially PERFECT 3-4 ends. Carter has already played, below average of course, outside backer in the 3-4. The backers we just added project well for 3-4. Now, we are a 4-3 team, but, we will have more 3-4 looks than we've had in the past. We don't have a perfect 3-4 nose which is why we won't run it all the time.

I'm sure we'll see some 3-4 looks, and we obviously play a lot of nickel packages where we take out a lineman. But like you said, we're not switching to the 3-4 as our base. We don't have a big enough nose tackle, Carter is a better 4-3 DE than 3-4 LB, and our current linebackers aren't exactly prototypical 3-4 guys.

I just don't understand why when we pick up several LBs in the draft for much-needed depth, people go "OMG we're switching to the 3-4!"

We're addressing depth, not a complete defensive philosophy switch.

Salave'a could play the nose decently but he's injury prone. Dunno about Golston. But, hell, we didn't have the talent for the 4-3 last year either. Bottom line for me: It's easier to find LBs than DLs.

more depth at linebacker is good, did you see our linebackers play last year. Once we lost Washington it was terrible to see rbs run wild on us. Now w/ this added depth we could easily transition into a 34 D and GW has played it in the past. I remember seeing us in 34 D against Dallas a couple seasons ago and it was working well.

While I understand you, INCORRECTLY, think our weakness is defensive line, the real weakness was coverage and linebacking, which is why we're doing so very much to improve the ACTUAL problem with last year's team. In many cities this attention to fixing problems would be lauded. Here, it's condemned by people who have NO IDEA what's happening on the field as the people who do know, not being smart enough to figure it out.

You are so right. There isn't a Dline in the league that can pressure a QB when he is able to hit wide open WR's because our CB's are playing 8-10 yards off the ball at the snap. Rocky was not ready to start and Holdman was a liability in coverage. Springs and Prielou get hurt before the season even starts and we all know how Arch did in coverage. Those factors would make the best D-Line in the league look bad. As far as stopping the run goes I think our LB's were much of the problem last year. Griffen would take up 2 blockers and no one would fill the hole. Marshall and Rocky back outside and Flether in the middle our run D will be fine.

its obvious to see that the Dlineman weren't rated as good or as high on the redskins staff as these linebackers we got.

So why not get the best available players that will actually get a chance to play v.s. a Dlineman that won't even make the roster.

Im still waiting for the Dlineman lovers to name a player that would be a replacement to one of our Dlineman already on the roster and would be a better choice over the guys we picked?

Stupid fans who lack an understanding of how we play and the media, who largely don't know football thought we were light on the defensive line. Adding a good, young tackle or end would not have been a horrible move, obviously, but, the team has been obvious for MONTHS what the actual weakness was and no one here has really been confused by the answer.

I'm not giving a nod to the personnel evaluation skills of anyone we have. I'm merely pointing out that the Redskins have, by ALL accounts, a smart, knowledgeable coaching staff. Those coaches know every play they call and they know every job everyone has. They are NEVER wrong when looking at a play and concluding the problem on it was X, or Y, or Z.

It's time YOU open your eyes to the reality of the offseason that our problems are those we're addressing, meaning, our problems aren't those you think we have.

I hope to GOD you are right, Sir. I hope to God. :halo:

If a team that couldn't even get in the playoffs in the NFC thinks they can go an entire draft and look for mainly special teamers, then that right there is the very reason the Washington Redskins have become the very definition of mediocrity.

Look no further for the reason Washington has trouble ever being looked at in a positive light throughout the media or why you can't ever call them perennial contenders.

For months we have all known that the D-line is our top concern.We have poorly sized and medium style DT's who are ineffective for our defense.

Now the issue is we take Landry, we take an ILB, and an OLB. What does this say about M.Washington, Rocky, and worst yet Lamar Marshall.

My assumption is Marcus is far from being ready. Rocky the guy who they blindly wasted such an investment for is now unclear where he ranks in our system. And my main concern, is Marshall going to be with us, b/c if he is shouldnt he split time between Rocky? Why haven't we heard anything about him? This is not good at all. I hope to god there is more to story that we are not hearing about that doesnt involve my converns.

This team is not going to find any DT's of benefit or even DE's after June 1st.

So coming into/ going out of the draft we still have the same F'N worries. The front 7 guys will be ineffective b/c we are riddled with no line what so ever.

Unbelievable, if I was Tiki Barber I would come out of retirement just for our games so he can try for 500 yards total.

Yeah Skins, we remain ineffective and look destined to suck. Mediocre is a title we undisputely hold.

I would like to see the FO prioritize and relieve the fans issues b/c while they gross $ regardless of winning, I can't be in public w/o recieving the jokes of their failures.

Marcus should be ready to go by season opener, which is still more than 4 months away. Rocky had 10 tackles in the one game he started and the Skins absolutely refused to trade him to the Bears, and Rocky is slated as the starter. Sounds like they know what the deal is with Rocky.

If I was Tiki Barber, I'd be laughing at the fact a fan actually believes I could get 500 yards rushing.

If our line is so terrible, how were we able to have a top 10 defense the previous two years, with Wynn and Daniels as our ends? Could it be becuase Smoot and Springs were lights out, and our LB group was amazing?

Our D was succesful because we stopped the run first and forced teams to pass. Everything we have done this offseason has been aimed at us being a dominant run-stopping D. And now it just so happens that we have a stellar secondary with very solid depth.

Kris Jenkins could be released, but I like how you know with absolute certainty nobody will be available after June 1st.

I'm so sorry other fans make fun of the Skins to you, that must really hurt your feelings and make you mad at the Skins, right? Mad enough to make a thread where you bash their pick before he even steps on the field, right? Try being bold and sticking up for your team.

We have been to the playoffs and won, something the Giants and Cowboys can't seem to do anymore. And we've won multiple Superbowls, the Eagles can't even win one. Sure it may have been a while ago, but the Superbowl is what all teams work toward every year. So Superbowl wins is very important and very much relevant. There are plenty of positives about this team, and if all you are worried about is other fans hassling you, than you are a pretty fickle fan. Besides, there is plenty of stupid things and suck-ass periods all teams have gone thru. Recent success doesn't magically erase that.

While I think we have more than enough problem areas to go around (hint:this will be 2007, 2005 is the past.) and adding LB's was a good move, you are in serious denial if you think the DL does not need re-vamped. It was not the LB's fault that only Carter and occassionally Golston could get any pressure on the QB, and very few sacks/hurries. But ok......

Our DL was very good against the run 2 years ago.

And once upon a time, the Redskins were a consistent playoff team that won 3 Superbowls. It was after 1993, however, that our King, Joe Gibbs left to the land of Nascar to win championships with superb Knight, Tony Stewart, while Daniel 'Jaffar' Snyder used sorcery and illusion to fleece what is fastly becoming a discontent populous (fan base).

Gibbs has since returned promising years of Glory and restoration to the ever growing dystopia that is called Redskin nation. However, is he under a spell of the Evil Dictator Snyder? Or is it old age that has overcome his good judgement in observing a record setting performance by a D-line that had 13 sacks?

Bastian made many other wishes and had many other amazing adventures before finally returning to the ordinary world...But that's another story....:doh:

I personally like the picks of Blades and Sartz.

But yeah ART I don't know why the "stupid fans" would doubt those picks. Clearly Gibbs and co are beyond reproach in using late round picks to fill glaring needs at LB.

2. Roger McIntosh, OLB, Miami - 35th overall

7. Kevin Simon, ILB, Tennessee - 250th overall

The Full Draft Haul

5. Robert McCune, ILB, Louisville (154th overall)

6. Jared Newberry, OLB, Stanford (183rd overall)

I personally like the picks of Blades and Sartz.

But yeah ART I don't know why the "stupid fans" would doubt those picks. Clearly Gibbs and co are beyond reproach in using late round picks to fill glaring needs at LB.

2. Roger McIntosh, OLB, Miami - 35th overall

7. Kevin Simon, ILB, Tennessee - 250th overall

The Full Draft Haul

5. Robert McCune, ILB, Louisville (154th overall)

6. Jared Newberry, OLB, Stanford (183rd overall)

Why are you talking to me? I haven't made any opinion as to whether these guys picked will be good enough even to make the roster. What's clear is the linebacker spot on our roster is terribly thin and this draft helps go about attempting to add depth there. If it works out, that's great and saves us from having to do it again in a couple of years. If it doesn't, we'll be taking more backers then. It's just not a surprise these are the positions we targeted.

Going in, this is pretty much what our roster dictated we had to do in the draft, and it gives us the best chance to get guys who can stick.

Archived