Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pentagon: al-Qaida Operative Captured

Sarge

Hopefully they hook a car battery up this guys nads

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8OP1BT80&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon announced Friday the capture of one of al-Qaida's most senior and most experienced operatives, an Iraqi who was trying to return to his native country when he was captured.

Bryan Whitman, a Pentagon spokesman, said the captive is Abd al-Hadi al-Iraqi. He was received by the Pentagon this week from the CIA, Whitman said, but the spokesman would not say where or when al-Iraqi was captured or by whom.

The Pentagon described Al-Iraqi as an associate of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and as someone who may have been targeting Westerners outside of Iraq.

The Pentagon took custody of al-Iraqi at Guantanamo Bay, the detention center for terror suspects, Whitman said. He is the 15th so-called high-value detainee to be taken to Guantanamo Bay after being held by the CIA in secret prisons abroad. The other 14 were sent to Guantanamo Bay last September and have since undergone military hearings there to affirm their status as enemy combatants eligible for military trials.

Whitman said al-Iraqi was believed responsible for plotting cross- border attacks from Pakistan on U.S. forces in Afghanistan, and that he led an effort to assassinate Pakistan's president, Gen. Pervez Musharraf, as well as unspecified officials of the United Nations.

"Abd al-Hadi (al-Iraqi) was trying to return to his native country, Iraq, to manage al-Qaida's affairs and possibly focus on operations outside Iraq against Western targets," Whitman said, adding that the terror suspect met with al-Qaida members in Iran. He said he did not know when al-Iraqi was in Iran.

The Pentagon said al-Iraqi was born in Mosul, in northern Iraq, in Whitman said he was a key al-Qaida paramilitary leader in Afghanistan in the late 1990s, and during 2002-04 led efforts to attack U.S. forces in Afghanistan with terrorist forces based in Pakistan.

In August 2005, al-Iraqi appeared in a purported al-Qaida-made video that shows militants in Afghanistan—including Europeans, Arabs and others—preparing to attack U.S. troops and showing off what they said was a U.S. military laptop.

Al-Iraqi, speaking in the video with a scarf hiding his face, said the U.S.-led wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have created "two fronts" for recruiting terrorists to the cause of bin Laden and Taliban leader Mullah Omar.

"Now all the world is united behind Mullah Omar and Sheik Osama," he says.

Whitman said al-Iraqi was associated with leaders of other extremist groups allied with al-Qaida in Afghanistan and Pakistan, including the Taliban. He worked directly with the Taliban to determine lines of communication between Taliban and al-Qaida leaders in Afghanistan, specifically about the targeting of U.S. forces, the spokesman said.

According to biographical information provided by the Pentagon on Friday, al-Iraqi served in the Iraqi military. It said he spent more than 15 years in Afghanistan and at one point was an instructor in an al-Qaida training camp there. Before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, he was a member of al-Qaida's ruling Shura Council, a now- defunct 10-person advisory body to bin Laden, the Pentagon said.

He also was a member of al-Qaida's military committee, which oversaw terrorist and guerrilla operations and paramilitary training, according to the Pentagon.

that can't be correct. he was an Iraqi going to Iraq to lead Al Qaeda.

I thought that the libtards promised to fight Al Qaeda all over the world. So they will be tough on terror- "REALLY TOUGH ON TERROR" everyplace except where the terrorists actually are?

sounds like a brilliant and far thinking plan.

I didn't realize McMetal lived over seas.

I wonder if this guy was Al-Queda before we went into Iraq.

I know you are just being a smartass and I honestly do not take offense.

That said have you ever left this country? I know I have on multiple occasions. The fact is this guy was actively trying to kill US citizens/soldiers. Catching him is a GOOD THING not no big deal.

As for your second statement, in the grand scheme of life does it matter if the rapist on top of your daughter/wife/mother was always a rapist or if he just doesn't like how you treat homeless people? In the future you might want to treat homeless people better, but right now you want to make sure that pos is dead or in jail.

#1. Yes. I've been to Europe, and all through the Americas. Post 9/11

#2. Yes, it does matter. Because AFC was trying to make the argument without saying it (because he'd receive his usual whooping) that Al-Queda and Saddam had a connection.

The main point is this.

Are we creating more Al-Queda/Terrorist folks in Iraq than there were before we got there? Yes or No?

Are we creating more terrorists worldwide through our military actions? yes or no?

Is the grand total number of these loons higher or lower than before we invaded Iraq? Yes or No?

Is the grand total number of these loons higher or lower than before we invaded Iraq? Yes or No?

Higher. I mean, yes. Err...no. ;)

Our options are to go fight them on their turf, or let them plan the next 9/11 unabated. I choose "A."

Higher. I mean, yes. Err...no. ;)

Our options are to go fight them on their turf, or let them plan the next 9/11 unabated. I choose "A."

I think it is very questionable whether those are really the options, although it does make a good slogan.

I think it is very questionable whether those are really the options, although it does make a good slogan.

Look, Iraq aside, which I fully grant is debatable, I refuse to care if more people hate us because we defend ourselves.

Look, Iraq aside, which I fully grant is debatable, I refuse to care if more people hate us because we defend ourselves.

Even if it means we have more enemies to defend against? Some people feel we are shooting ourselves in the foot in Iraq.

On the other hand, I have no problem hunting down Al Qaeda trash around the world, where ever they are.

Even if it means we have more enemies to defend against? Some people feel we are shooting ourselves in the foot in Iraq.

On the other hand, I have no problem hunting down Al Qaeda trash around the world, where ever they are.

Iraq is a mess, yes. But what does pulling out leave? A giant, festering wound that will have to be dealt with again anyway. Besides, we were not in Iraq on 9/11, yet the flew planes into 3 buildings anyway (Ken, don't sidetrack this thread!). Regardless if there is any connection whatsoever, we were attacked. We promised to take the fight to them and we are.

Chasing them around the world, wherever they are will piss off just as many people

Iraq is a mess, yes. But what does pulling out leave? A giant, festering wound that will have to be dealt with again anyway. Besides, we were not in Iraq on 9/11, yet the flew planes into 3 buildings anyway (Ken, don't sidetrack this thread!). Regardless if there is any connection whatsoever, we were attacked. We promised to take the fight to them and we are.

Chasing them around the world, wherever they are will piss off just as many people

As I have said in other threads, I am not at all sure if we should pull out now.

We all know we were attacked on 9/11. However, we didn't "take the fight to them" in Afganistan and Pakistan (and Saudi Arabia for that matter)

We took the fight to unrelated Iraq instead, and now many many thousands of Iraqis have become part of "them" when they weren't before.

Well, to be honest.

Afghanistan was taking the fight to them.

Iraq was a sidetrack, so then THEY brought the fight back to us.

Now we have people trying to say the fight is there, because it always was. Which isn't true. The fight is there, because they followed us there.

The problem is - a lot of the world does not see it as 'defending ourselves' when we are in their country.

When the other side stops slaughtering my brothers and sisters on my turf, and stops decapitating people who are in Iraq to help rebuild their infrastructure, and begins to give a damn about how we feel, I'll be first in line to reciprocate.

I didn't realize McMetal lived over seas.

I wonder if this guy was Al-Queda before we went into Iraq.

I know you are just being a smartass and I honestly do not take offense.

That said have you ever left this country? I know I have on multiple occasions. The fact is this guy was actively trying to kill US citizens/soldiers. Catching him is a GOOD THING not no big deal.

As for your second statement, in the grand scheme of life does it matter if the rapist on top of your daughter/wife/mother was always a rapist or if he just doesn't like how you treat homeless people? In the future you might want to treat homeless people better, but right now you want to make sure that pos is dead or in jail.

And thus the reason why America will NEVER win the war on terror. We can't even agree that catching someone that PLANS on killing innocent people for the pure stinking joy of doing it is a GOOD ****ING THING!

I could give a rats ass if he is "small potatoes" or not. That's one less terrorist we have to worry about & who knows, maybe if the liberals & bleeding hearts will get out of the ****ing way & let the Jack Bauers of the world do their job, maybe we could ****ING FIND Bin Laden. But you know. We don't want to take the rights away from someone who would just as soon kill your whole family in front of you then shake your hand, but will sure as **** take our handouts. :rolleyes:

What Iraqis are slaughtering Americans in America?

Semantics, man. The Iraqis have been decapitating contractors. Al-Qaeda, obviously, killed 3000 people here. The thread is about an Iraqi Al-Qaeda member.

See, it's all intertwinified.

;)

When the other side stops slaughtering my brothers and sisters on my turf, and stops decapitating people who are in Iraq to help rebuild their infrastructure, and begins to give a damn about how we feel, I'll be first in line to reciprocate.

I guess the problem is that everyone over there is not on the "other side."

And a lot less of them were on the "other side" before we invaded Iraq.

Now more and more previously nondescript Iraqis are on the "other side" shooting at us, mostly because we are standing around there in their country waiting to be shot at.

I guess the problem is that everyone over there is not on the "other side."

And a lot less of them were on the "other side" before we invaded Iraq.

Now more and more previously nondescript Iraqis are on the "other side" shooting at us, mostly because we are standing around there in their country waiting to be shot at.

I understand and respect your position, Predicto, and I may well be in the minority on this. What else is new? ;)

I'm just not sure what the alternative is. As I said, whether or not we should be in Iraq is HIGHLY debatable. However, I can say with near certainty that if we just walk away now, the thugs win. Iraq will become a more advanced and more comfortable Afghanistan. And the terror attacks planned and launched from there would likely rival anything we've ever seen.

I'm not saying there was an Al-Qaeda link to Iraq before the war. I think that's been pretty well discredited. However, if we leave now, the battle for power will be won by indiscriminate killers. I hate to use a Bushism, but Iraq WILL become a safe-haven for terrorists. And like I said, they'd have far more resources there than in Afghanistan.

My heart breaks right along with everyone else's everytime an American soldier dies for a seeming lost cause. I'm still friends with some of those guys. But it is in our self-interest to see this thing through. And I do believe that if they weren't occupied in their own back yard, that the terrorists who comprise Al Qaeda in Iraq would be planning the next 9/11.

In 2001, Saddam Hussein was still defying the WORLD community; not the United States, but the United Nations. We know now that Hussein was just posturing. He kicked out the weapons inspectors. And I'm sorry, but that does give the indication that he had something to hide. Once we watched the heart of our biggest city collapse, it was difficult to allow ourselves to think, "well, he's just a little man puffing his chest out." We can't take that chance in this world anymore.

If so-called rogue nations want to "posture" these days, they're going to have to be prepared to suffer the consequences. I would rather piss off someone who already hates me than watch a dirty bomb explode in DC because we didn't want to hurt people's feelings.

Archived