Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bobby Beatherd on NFL Network....

illone

"The coach and GM relationship is the most important relationship in the organization"

Not a word for word quote, but very close.

Thoughts?

If you get a chance to watch Total Access, check it out. Gibbs tells the story of Jacoby and then Beatherd goes on to describe how important the GM/HC relationship is to an organization. Really good stuff.

Coach and GM is the most important relationship. Why do you think so many coaches try to work both positions? Because not many of them can co-exist. Bobby still does his homework. Noone has ever been better at scouting late round draft choices. Who do you think help build the Chargers? We sure could use him back in DC. Maybe if we gave him millions and a beach house somewhere on the Chesapeake bay.

Coach and GM is the most important relationship. Why do you think so many coaches try to work both positions? Because not many of them can co-exist. Bobby still does his homework. Noone has ever been better at scouting late round draft choices. Who do you think help build the Chargers? We sure could use him back in DC. Maybe if we gave him millions and a beach house somewhere on the Chesapeake bay.

Speaking of the Chargers, just look what happened in San Diego. I know it's Marty, but the team went what, 14 - 2, but since the GM and coach hated each other, they fired the coach.

I'd be willing to bet they don't win 14 games this year.

But yeah, I'd love to have Bobby back. I really wish he had groomed Casserly in his image.

Hail,

H

That was a cool story they had with Gibbs talking about Jacoby. If The Dan were so inclined, would Beathard even be interested?

Nope. When Spurrier was hired here in 2002, he requested that Dan hire a GM, because Steve didn't believe he could handle the personnel. Steve specifically requested Bobby Beathard. So Snyder brought him in for an interview, went through the process, Bobby was ready to come back, and Dan completely low-balled him, Big Time I hear. Bobbby apparently walked out and he wasn't coming back. Thus Dan brought back in his trusty steed Vinny Cerato, who for some reason :rolleyes: was out of a job.

Nope. When Spurrier was hired here in 2002, he requested that Dan hire a GM, because Steve didn't believe he could handle the personnel. Steve specifically requested Bobby Beathard. So Snyder brought him in for an interview, went through the process, Bobby was ready to come back, and Dan completely low-balled him, Big Time I hear. Bobbby apparently walked out and he wasn't coming back. Thus Dan brought back in his trusty steed Vinny Cerato, who for some reason :rolleyes: was out of a job.

:doh:

Well, ****....... Sometimes I don't understand The Dan. It's like he wants to shun the past that he as a fan enjoyed so much. Like any ties to the past are a bad thing. Yet he hires Gibbs back. what is it that I'm missing here?

What about this guy?

Says he may bring on a new personnel director, labeled as rumor, but just out of curiosity, what's the difference between a GM and a personnel director?

The GM would direct the general direction of the team in terms of coaching and scouting for both F.A's and the draft. The personnel director you heard about is supposedly only for the scouting of F.A's from what I understand.

:doh:

Well, ****....... Sometimes I don't understand The Dan. It's like he wants to shun the past that he as a fan enjoyed so much. Like any ties to the past are a bad thing. Yet he hires Gibbs back. what is it that I'm missing here?

He shuns the past if it means him getting further away from the football operations. He doesn't want to deal with people that have brains of their own. The only reason that he's able to do what he does with Gibbs here is because Gibbs is a nice guy and believes he can win no matter what the hell Snyder does.

Dan's hiring of Joe Gibbs was quite simply a MARKETING ploy. His first priority was to fill seats and he's done that year in and year out. Winning would be a neat luxury, but it's not his main priority. He just can't stop thinking like a business man when it comes to football. He, every season, brings something new and exciting to the table that keeps drawing us back. Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Spurrier, the JetSkins, Coach Gibbs, that huge free agent class of last year(which i don't put entirely on him, that was a group effort and those guys may still pan out, except for Adam) the list goes on. He just doesn't get it.

I know he's in this business to make money, but you don't win games if you're focusing purely on putting people in seats and making money. You have to turn your team over to a guy that has a vision of building a team. A football guy. No offense to coach Gibbs, he just doesn't have it in him to pursue a certain vision. He's caught up in other jobs, it's extremely difficult to coach and handle personnel, that's why we have GM's. Cerrato is nothing more than a yes man and a poor evaluator of talent. He rarely finds guys past the first round and he's not always successful with his first rounders, Patrick Ramsey being the biggest flop(who was SNYDER's GUY 100%) don't blame Spurrier for that one.

It's just tough to take some of the things he does sometimes. He's never looking for the best interest of anyone but himself. He basically only cares about his bottom line. He wants income, he wants a "product" that can generate income. The only reason he even pays attention to the games is because he's just a fan, and if the team doesn't win, then he has to find another way to keep his revenue up, by either making a big name player splash or hiring a legendary coach.

My main problem with Snyder is that he's simply a fan. He treats this team like a franchise in Madden, he wants to be in total control. He really needs to take a step back and realize that he didn't get to own this franchise because he knows a lot about football, it's because he had a lot of money. He knows how to make a lot of money, fine, he can take care of the financial situations, he just needs to leave the football to football people.

One of the things I love so much about the NFL netwrok these days. They keep treating us to more Redskins former personell. And they always have the Redskins helmet right behind who ever is talking, while the Redskins news clicker seems to be the one that runs most down at the bottom of the screen.

I love listening to Bobbie's stories.

But while we're on the subject, that guy on NFL Live who used to be the Titans GM is looking for a GM job too.

He shuns the past if it means him getting further away from the football operations. He doesn't want to deal with people that have brains of their own. The only reason that he's able to do what he does with Gibbs here is because Gibbs is a nice guy and believes he can win no matter what the hell Snyder does.

Dan's hiring of Joe Gibbs was quite simply a MARKETING ploy. His first priority was to fill seats and he's done that year in and year out. Winning would be a neat luxury, but it's not his main priority. He just can't stop thinking like a business man when it comes to football. He, every season, brings something new and exciting to the table that keeps drawing us back. Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Spurrier, the JetSkins, Coach Gibbs, that huge free agent class of last year(which i don't put entirely on him, that was a group effort and those guys may still pan out, except for Adam) the list goes on. He just doesn't get it.

I know he's in this business to make money, but you don't win games if you're focusing purely on putting people in seats and making money. You have to turn your team over to a guy that has a vision of building a team. A football guy. No offense to coach Gibbs, he just doesn't have it in him to pursue a certain vision. He's caught up in other jobs, it's extremely difficult to coach and handle personnel, that's why we have GM's. Cerrato is nothing more than a yes man and a poor evaluator of talent. He rarely finds guys past the first round and he's not always successful with his first rounders, Patrick Ramsey being the biggest flop(who was SNYDER's GUY 100%) don't blame Spurrier for that one.

It's just tough to take some of the things he does sometimes. He's never looking for the best interest of anyone but himself. He basically only cares about his bottom line. He wants income, he wants a "product" that can generate income. The only reason he even pays attention to the games is because he's just a fan, and if the team doesn't win, then he has to find another way to keep his revenue up, by either making a big name player splash or hiring a legendary coach.

My main problem with Snyder is that he's simply a fan. He treats this team like a franchise in Madden, he wants to be in total control. He really needs to take a step back and realize that he didn't get to own this franchise because he knows a lot about football, it's because he had a lot of money. He knows how to make a lot of money, fine, he can take care of the financial situations, he just needs to leave the football to football people.

Someone besides me finally gets it. I've basically reiterated the same sentiments and all's I gots to show for it is this nifty avatar. Be careful what you say about his holiness.

I don't know about this...

I tend to believe in the old analogy about one shopping for the food the other cooking with what he's given.

I don't believe that GM's and coaches need to be good friends.

Hell look what Marty and AJ did in San Diego.

AJ knows players...Marty knows coaching (just not in the playoffs)

And they hate each other.

Did you guys hear what Bobby said about Dan Marino falling in the 1983 draft, he was basically implying that the Redskins might have taken Dan Marino if he had fallen to them, he said he went the pick before us, but we were sitting there and had D. Green and Marino neck and neck on our board. Can you imagine if we had gotten Dan Marino, but then again we wouldn't have had Darrell.

Archived