Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs Comment on Specific Player

ibrahim

Gibbs was asked during the draft briefing, "is there any guy in this draft that you have fallen in love with?" and Gibbs replied, with a chuckle, "Yes, there is a guy we have fallen in love with, but unfortunately, we can't get to him, as far as the required deal to get him goes." We don't need to be rocket scientists to figure out what this means right? I am thinking this means we want CJ but won't be able to get him. Personally I think that statement almost rules out the possibility of trading up for CJ. No?

Every draft has those players that coaches fall in love with. In fact, if you would survey each of the NFL coaches and they would probably say the same thing about Johnson as you think Gibbs is alluding to.

But I think the FO is being wise with their position of not letting anything out of the box and you shouldn' t read anything into it.

Can you as a fan be happy if we have just that one #6 pick on day 1?

if CJ comes here, were conceding this season.

I love CJ's abilities, but I'd contend that if CJ comes here we are conceding *the rest of this decade*, if it requires our #6, and next year's #1 and #3 for example. It means that it will be 2009 before we could potentially have a full draft to begin replacing our rapidly aging OL, DL and LB unit all of which will be an average age of 33+ by then (and that's assuming no injuries, no defections of key personnel via huge cap allocation to the WR position, and assuming we finally start keeping our drafts intact against the odds). And a few second tier F.A. picks here or there isn't going to be enough to turn around the league's 31st ranked defense.

And certainly, one draft isn't enough to adequately "replace and replenish" any complete unit, much less numerous units. It would probably amount to the worst move in Redskins history, and it will probably have a similar long-term effect to the destruction Ditka infllicted on New Orleans with his pick of Ricky Williams. I'm sure all the CJ fanboys would have been 110% behind giving away an entire draft for Ricky, had they been Saints fans at the time, with disastrous consequences.

Fact is, we are SO close to being able to get back on schedule, and being able to compete simultaneously, if we'll just be disciplined and do the right things. This team can compete immediately with a huge improvement in it's DL, and with a steady hand used to start replenishing the aging units with good, young, drafted talent for the future. A move like selling it all for CJ would set the organization back indefinitely.

I agree! We need to get this guy! Moss and CJ will be unstoppable!

Just like last year.

"Now that we actually have two more weapons (ARE, and LLoyd) for Brunell to throw to, we are going deep into the playoffs. Perhaps all the way"

"With Arch and Taylor, our D will be unstoppable. The Bruise brothers. Yeah!"

:doh: :doh: :doh:

It would probably amount to the worst move in Redskins history, and it will probably have a similar long-term effect to the destruction Ditka infllicted on New Orleans with his pick of Ricky Williams. I'm sure all the CJ fanboys would have been 110% behind giving away an entire draft for Ricky, had they been Saints fans at the time, with disastrous consequences.

That's a damn good comparison if you ask me. But keep in mind, the player we took with the first rounder we stole from the saints was lavar arrington, a guy who is all but a lock to hang up his cleats this season. However the draft pans out, I don't think there is any way I will be dissapointed. Landry will make our safety tandem one of the top 3 in the league if he is as good as most expect him to be. Okoye, Adams, Anderson or Carriker would all help improve the performance of the line. Calvin Johnson could be the threat in the red zone that we have lacked for the past few seasons. Either way, I can't wait for saturday.

By the way, I was looking at the details about that trade with the saints from the 99 draft, and look who actually had something nice to say about the skins for once...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/1999/nfldraft/news/1999/04/17/pk_midone/

adding to the offense doesnt fix the defense. remember the rams game where we kept scoring points, and all the D did was GIVE UP MORE POINTS. how some of you dont grasp this is beyond me. even if CJ comes here and scores 8 million points, our d will give up 9 million.

And adding a defensive player at the 6 spot, who may as well be named "ride pine" for the first half of the season is going to help us how again?

I am all for building the team through the draft...and over several years. However, Joe isn't a spring chicken. He wants to win now. While a guy on D would be good for the longer term....

CJ has more impact potential this season.

We all grasp that the defense has to improve, but to think that if we draft on offense that spells doom and gloom for the defense is ridiculous. All 3 of our free agent acquisitions so far have been on defense. We have made all of our top draft choices -- with the exception of Campbell -- on defense recently. We have other methods of improving the defense aside from reaching for a player at #6 who isn't worthy of that slot. Pick the best player available, period at #6. If you don't see Gaines Adams as a likely Pro Bowler, don't take the guy; it's very simple.

My only thing is I don't want to mess with the 2008 draft and Gibbs indicated that the team really doesn't either, so I don't see CJ coming to DC. If he somehow fell to #6, which won't happen, I'd take him in a heartbeat b/c he's going to be creating misery for defenses for the next 8-10 years.

Enough sky-is-falling stuff -- enjoy the draft.

CJ has more impact potention this season and the next 10. I don't want to trade any of next year's picks to get him, but if he fell to us, it would manna from heaven.

I would trade Shawn Springs and the #6 to draft him, by the way.

And adding a defensive player at the 6 spot, who may as well be named "ride pine" for the first half of the season is going to help us how again?

I am all for building the team through the draft...and over several years. However, Joe isn't a spring chicken. He wants to win now. While a guy on D would be good for the longer term....

joe should know better than to think were going to win the superbowl this year. this team is not ready. were ready to start looking better by building our defense. we can trade out of this spot and get 2 defensive starters. impact players dont just come in the first round, thats where vinny is delusional and why we draft so poorly. theres tons of guys littered around the draft that make an impact, just because youre drafted 1st or 201st doesnt mean anything.

if we draft branch he'll start right away. we have no vets in front of him that can do the job because we only had salavea and hes probably done.

CJ might add some more points, but as we saw last year, the defense will just give it right back up.

I've noticed that a lot of CJ lovers are sub 100 posters, I feel like most of you really don't understand this team or it's direction or even the history of Gibbs and how he does football. This is a grind it out then playaction away team, not a pass first offense. Furthermore, we generally have a history of trading down.

Gibbs just said we would draft a guy we thought would be a perennial pro-bowler even if his position is crowded and he also said that he didn't think we have any huge needs where someone young could step in and take over. To me, it sounds like if a deal is possible for CJ they will go for it and from everything I've read, if they make the deal sweet enough they can do it.

He could just as easily be talking about a Defensive End, say Anderson or Adams, or Okoye for that matter.

From watching the film we are looking to trade down. If we do trade down we will look at team needs. If we stay at 6 we are picking based on BPA as far as Redskins rating.

If we stay at 6 I think we are going Landry from the football smarts, pro-bowler calibre talk (from Joe) that pick must deliver due cost. He also said we would pick a player (if at 6) even if we have depth there. I guess it depends on what offers are on the table on the day (that can't come soon enough, this shizzle is tiring lol).

He also said Golston and Montgomery were really hitting the weight room.... though he did get Monty's first name wrong until he corrected himself so maybe not that much of an impression made....

I am wondering if maybe its Okoye, Okoye could beef up to be a 2 gapper in a years time perhaps, which would mean he's happy with Big Joe and Big Grif in there right now.

I love CJ's abilities, but I'd contend that if CJ comes here we are conceding *the rest of this decade*, if it requires our #6, and next year's #1 and #3 for example. It means that it will be 2009 before we could potentially have a full draft to begin replacing our rapidly aging OL, DL and LB unit all of which will be an average age of 33+ by then (and that's assuming no injuries, no defections of key personnel via huge cap allocation to the WR position, and assuming we finally start keeping our drafts intact against the odds). And a few second tier F.A. picks here or there isn't going to be enough to turn around the league's 31st ranked defense.

And certainly, one draft isn't enough to adequately "replace and replenish" any complete unit, much less numerous units. It would probably amount to the worst move in Redskins history, and it will probably have a similar long-term effect to the destruction Ditka infllicted on New Orleans with his pick of Ricky Williams. I'm sure all the CJ fanboys would have been 110% behind giving away an entire draft for Ricky, had they been Saints fans at the time, with disastrous consequences.

Fact is, we are SO close to being able to get back on schedule, and being able to compete simultaneously, if we'll just be disciplined and do the right things. This team can compete immediately with a huge improvement in it's DL, and with a steady hand used to start replenishing the aging units with good, young, drafted talent for the future. A move like selling it all for CJ would set the organization back indefinitely.

Stormy that was a great post, I agree, if we just draft a quality player on Defense preferably Dline we are back on schedule and maybe the future looks brighter, and we keep shelling out money for new FA jerseys next year. I've never bought or been given a Skins jersey myself (haven't had the cash), but if we draft Alan Branch I just might get one ;)

adding to the offense doesnt fix the defense. remember the rams game where we kept scoring points, and all the D did was GIVE UP MORE POINTS. how some of you dont grasp this is beyond me. even if CJ comes here and scores 8 million points, our d will give up 9 million.

Exactly, Besides CJ is too good not to start so it can't be him gibbs is referring too. Could be adams, anderson, or okoye, or landry

we can trade out of this spot and get 2 defensive starters.

This assumes many things:

(1) we CAN trade out of this spot. given that 7 or 8 teams in the top 10 are looking to trade back, this is hardly a sure thing.

(2) whomever we draft signs and learns the system in time to make an impact enough to start this season.

(3) in terms of Branch, that he isn't actually injured.

I think yr completely wrong about Gibbs' assumptions viz winning the Super Bowl. I would be surprised and bummed out if his position was "well, we're not going to win it all this year, so adding players for the future is the primary goal."

This is a grind it out then playaction away team, not a pass first offense.

I don't see drafting CJ as meaning we've become a pass first offense. We had three killer weapons in Gibbs' heyday: Monk, Clark & Sanders. Smashmouth football requires you have the air weapons to make people pay for playing the run.

Even if Branch, Okoye, or whoever has to sit for a few games before rotating in, The big impact they make is giving us insurance and added motivation to those who may be one season away from being cut.

CJ will not plug highway 57, won't pressure the QB, won't stop the run, he is an after thought in a offense built around CP, Betts, Cooley and MOss. You really want to waste two three or more picks this year and next just to get this guy?

What an incredibly negative (and ignorant) position to take.

A more accurate statement may have been, "If CJ comes here, we're conceding 2007-2009" if you take into consideration the cap and draft pick ramifications that this entails.

But thank god Joe said it. We're not getting him!:)

That's not what he said.

He said that there was a couple of guys who he fell in love with, but unfortunitly, they can't take all of them.

Yeah, coach said that they had fallen in love with "quite a few players" but they couldn't get to "them". I don't think he was only talking about CJ. With only one pick on the first day, we won't be able to get many of the draft prospects.

Why is his name ride the pine?

Did ST ride the pine?

Did Rogers Ride the pine?

DID 6th ROUND pick Golston ride the pine?

ONly Rocky rode the pine.

Hmm, thats not what I heard, I'm pretty sure he said "...but unfortunately, we can't get to him, as far as the deal required goes."

i have the video from the presser cued up right now. Here are the exact quotes of the question and answer.

Q: "Have you guys fallen in love with anybody?"

Gibbs: "[laughs] Yeah quite a few of them, but the problem is we can't get to them. [laughs more] That's part of the deal."

So there you have it, there is NO ONE specific player that coach admitted to falling in love with.

I wouldn't say conceding the season, but I would say it would signal a desire to pair him with JC (Hmmm CJ and CJ, nice ring LOL) and build for the future.

And as much as I want a big time DT, CJ is as good as advertised, he can still help us win games this year.

Archived