Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Davis' Last Stand

@DCGoldPants

Letting Stephen Davis go without even attempting to restructure his deal or at least trading him to a team in the AFC will go down as one of the largest mistakes in not only Redskins History, but also in the last few years of the NFL. If the Patriots can get a 1st rounder from Drew Bledsoe, then the Washington Redskins front office can at least move Davis and his fat contract to someone like Pittsburgh, Houston or Oakland.

Washington Post Article

washingtonpost.com

Redskins Start Phasing Out Davis

By Joseph White

AP Sports Writer

Thursday, December 5, 2002; 6:41 PM

ASHBURN, Va. –– Stephen Davis shrugged.

When another question was asked, he shrugged some more.

Finally, when surrounded by the elevator, the Washington Redskins running back said: "What am I going to say? What can I say?"

He didn't speak in an impolite or angry manner. In fact, he looked at the reporters and added: "Nothing against y'all. Trust me. Nothing against y'all."

Then again, there's not much a player can say when it appears the team is phasing him out. Accepting it seems wrong. Complaining about it seems wrong. Also, Davis has been outspoken a few times already this season, and it didn't seem to do him much good.

Davis is Washington's third all-time leading rusher and the first player in franchise history to run for 1,000-plus yards three years in a row. He's not flashy, but he has excellent vision and the reputation for turning a 3-yard gain into a 6-yard gain.

But now he's playing for coach Steve Spurrier, who would rather pass the ball, even though the Redskins don't have the quarterbacks to run a pass-oriented offense. Though he's tried to bolster his case with comments such as "this offense has to go through me," Davis has just 726 yards on 193 carries this season; he's on pace to get fewer than 1,300 yards and fewer than 290 carries for the first time since 1998.

Then, this week, Spurrier dropped the latest Davis bombshell: Second-round draft pick Ladell Betts will get plenty of playing time over the final four games as the Redskins (6-7) wind down the season.

"Stephen has carried it a whole bunch this year," Spurrier said. "And if we are going to look to these younger guys, maybe there is a time to do it in the next four games."

The Redskins will have to deal with Davis after the season because he is scheduled to count an unwieldy $11.4 million against the salary cap next year. Either a new contract has to be negotiated, or Davis will have to be cut.

So far, there have been no negotiations.

The soft-spoken Davis isn't the transient type, and he's said he would like to remain in Washington. But he's taken shots at Spurrier's play-calling from time to time, including a not-so-subtle "their game plan was better than ours" after the Thanksgiving loss at Dallas.

Spurrier has waffled in response. He's said at times that he needs to run Davis more, and other times he's indicated he'll keep throwing because the run has been just as ineffective as the pass. Notably, however, over the last six games the Redskins have won the three in which they ran more than passed and lost the three in they passed more than ran.

Davis is averaging 3.8 yards per carry, his lowest average since he became a full-time starter, and he's just 6-for-9 in converting third-and-ones. But much of that has to do with an offensive line that has shuffled guards all season.

Davis is one of several potential salary cap casualties on the team. Defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson and safety Sam Shade will probably be cut, and right tackle Jon Jansen looks set to become a free agent.

That means Spurrier needs to audition replacements. In Davis' case, that means Betts. Spurrier wouldn't say outright that he's gauging whether Betts can start next year, but that's the feeling everyone has — including Betts.

"They picked me in the second round, so I'm sure they want to see what they're getting," Betts said. "Hopefully I won't let anybody down out there."

*note to admins: While typing this I was very angry and totally botched the title. Please fix this. Stant = Stand

the Redskins are a mess. not ony are they going to have dead money left on the cap for Davis, millions in fact, after he is gone but are probably going to watch him run for 1,400 yards for someone else next year.

Some other team that if it wants to pass the ball and use Davis as a ball control option once a lead is built will have had the common sense to acquire a Drew Bledsoe or Peyton Mannning to run the offense through :)

They won' t be sitting there like Spurrier shaking his head about his team's lack of productivity when he starts the season with a bunch of castoffs and second rate talents at qb and wr.

Having to write off 2002 is largely to be laid at the feet of Spurrier's ego.

Even without Trotter, the Redskins defense would have been good enough with Gardener and Wynn coming on board to have been a playoff defense.

What has been rotten in the state of Denmark is specifically the area of focus that Spurrier says is his alone.

HE evaluated the potential choices at quarterback and wide receiver and decided he could make lemonade out of a group of cob-webbed lemons that had produced little since they took off their bush league college jerseys and came into the NFL.

Bulldog,

What???!!

A Defense that gives up over 100 yards running to emmitt freakin' smith is NOT a playoff defense. A team that lets the 49ers run out the clock for the last 8 minutes of the quarter is NOT a playoff defense. Our offense has been putting points on the board, and with the exception of davis and ramsey, they've kept from turning the ball over in thier own backyard, and the defense continues to give away points like its christmas morning.

The WR position has been played acceptably well. The QB position has beena carosel, but aside from ramsey, the play has not been of the lose a game variety. I'm not so sure what you're complaining about.

Our offense was terrible last year, and it's pretty bad right now. It's a little better, but that's with a first year coach. We've lost quite a few games scoring over 20 points. At the beginning of the year the plan was to have a defense strong enough so that our offense could score 13 and win handily. That hasn't happened.

When you ask what the weak points of our team are, the answer is simple: It's the O-line. It's our running back, and It's our Safeties. Spurrier isn't the one who's supposed to fix that.

-DB

what you have seen from the defense is frustration borne out by being paired with an offense that rarely puts them in an advantageous position on the field.

the fact remains the Redskins defense before last week had been carrying the team for much of the season.

without an effective defense the Skins could have lost a couple of games by a 45-7 type score :)

to pick one game out near the end of the season when things are winding down is not an accurate gauge of where we are.

after the Rams game the Skins defense was what, #8 or #9 in the NFL?

that means that there will be a NUMBER of teams with defenses worse than the Skins that make the playoffs and be in the hunt come January.

the reason the Skins won't be there with those teams has little to do with defense.

the Redskins quarterbacks are among the lowest rated in the NFC. The average of our starting running back at 3.8 is also among the lowest.

We have given up a fair amount of sacks in 2002 and have turned the ball over on fumbles and interceptions a BUNCH.

And we have played awfully at time on special teams.

It may seem on this thread I am placing the whole blame on Spurrier and for the decision to go with the ex-Gators at qb and wr, that WAS his decision.

But in regards to the development of a plan for the team in its entirely, it was a patchwork quilt.

Snyder wanted Ramsey. Mendes was high on Betts. Spurrier and his staff probably had three or four other players they would rather have had with either pick.

But until the staff is fired or Spurrier moves on we probably will never know from an inside perspective what the machinations were in the War Room.

I DO know that a coach that handpicks his top draft choices does not bury them on the bench for weeks like Betts or allow them to hold out for 16 days and miss most of camp.

Spurrier let the Ramsey impasse go and wrote that battle off to the front office because he was THEIR pick :)

If Spurrier had the same kind of fondness and liking for Ramsey that he does for Wuerffel there is no doubt in my mind that PR would have been signed and in camp on time.

And besides, Spurrier no doubt thought he would be starting Wuerffel in 2002 and would win with him so the entire Ramsey issue was essentially irrelevant as far as the first year went.

Doesn't it seem a little strange to you that after only 2 days the Bears were able to work out a deal with Ramsey's agent when the Skins allowed a trade to be explored?

Snyder really needs to step back from the limelight and make a decision on whether to keep Cerato or Mendes. I personally feel that we need to can both and hire a legitimate GM such as Modrak, or Wolf. This organization will continue to be a joke with Snyder at the helm.

I dont know who made the "true" decisions in the draft but dont count Betts out yet or Ramsey. We have not given them a chance nor have we given Spurrier a chance.

Also, everyone talks about the Defense and Offense but have we overlooked the SPECIAL TEAMS PLAY. Thats what needs revamping. Our SPECIAL TEAMS play have killed us over the years. Inconsistent at all times. They have put our defense in bad situations all year.

And the media is making the organization look incompetent mainly with this Stephen Davis issue. If everything we read is true...this is a shame. The skins should at least make an attempt to get something out of this or at least show some interest in resigning at a lower comtract.

I truly feel some of you guys here can run this organization alot smoother than what we are seeing. Ok ......In tired of B#tching.:gus:

Snyder hasn't really been IN the limelight this year if you've noticed. Haven't really heard any interviews except 70th Anniv. related stuff.

What he needs to do is STAY out of the limelight and find a young promising GM who is aggressive like Spurrier. Either sucker punch the whole leave or burn out trying....not more 6-10-9-7 type seasons.

I was mostly responding to this quote

"Having to write off 2002 is largely to be laid at the feet of Spurrier's ego. "

I think your other post and your response here make a lot more sense. I think that if anything, the big suprise (sarcasm) is that this year went belly up because of the front office. Now, I'm not sold yet that the front office made a mistake in the long run.

This years draft is really interesting in many ways. Each of the picks have slowly started to show themselves able to make serious contributions. I'm not sure how flawed it is to think that you can draft skill first and then go back the second year and pick up spots on the line. If that was the plan all along, then I'm okay with it. At least it's a plan.

I just take issue with statements like "Spurrier is supposed to know the QB's why aren't we getting more production there" I think Spurrier got flustered by everyone telling him his system wouldn't work. That weurfell was a bad QB. It messed with his head. It is apparent now that weurfell should have been our QB from day 1.

Anyway, I think you're right that Spurrier wasn't as involved as he should be in the personnell decisions and I hope that he is next year. He's a rookie and personnell is the hardest part of being an NFL coach.

-DB

If you were Davis and got a decent contract renegotiation to stay a couple of more years would you? I wouldn't. Why stay in an organization that doesnt appreciate your talents, why stay and play for a coach who admits that if he could get away with it he would pass every down?

He is unappreciated and badly utilized. For Davis' sake he should move on. I hope he has a fantastic year next year whereever he is just to rub it in Danny and Stevies face.

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

Our offense was terrible last year, and it's pretty bad right now. It's a little better, but that's with a first year coach.

-DB

Actually it's worse statistically. I'm not much of a stat guy, but the O has looked as utterly terrible as it did at some points last year. Even at its ebst, this year's O has never looked great, always merely decent.

Can't say that I really know what to do about Davis. If we let him go, there's no doubt in my mind that he'll perform as a probowler for someone else for at least a couple years. But, he hasn't seemed fluid in this offense. The pourous O-Line hasn;t helped either.

The problem with Davis is not his talent level. Even with his fumbles and inability to really open things up for this offense he is still a great runner. A team that is willing to utilize his talents will really get a great player.

We simply are not willing to utillize his skills. We are going a different way with our offense. We need a back who is more of a slasher, can serve as a safety valve as a receiver for our qb's, and generally open things up for our offense. We need Faulk or Holmes. We don't need a Davis type player. Having him on our roster does not help us at this point.

I have been one of those saying we should be running more this season. And the fact is that we should be. Our team is built to run. Unfortunately that is not the direction we are heading offensively with SS. We will not miss Davis when (if) he is gone because we wouldn't and don't use him while he is here.

I think it will be very hard to find a back with an overall talent level similar to Davis's. It may take years......but we have to try as Davis is not going to help us out despite his obvious talent.

Ya know, this thread got me to thinking a bit about Davis and the front office.

I think the front office saw what Bledsoe got for new England and see an opportunity to trade someone that doesn't fit the coaches desires for major draft picks.

I'm betting they expect to get a minimum of a first and probably will ask for much more, i.e. an additional 2cd or 3rd. And I'm betting they get shocked at the response; after all Faulk went for a mere second. Then there is the factor that EVERYONE knows the situation with Davis. Teams will play hardball on trade talks.

Then if I was another team trading for Davis, I'd do it AFTER the draft. That way I still have my pick(s) this year. And the skins would have to wait until next year to use them.

Another item to consider; in a Davis trade, the skins might have to take "conditional" picks. In other words the pick(s) would depend on his performance.

Also thinking about the cap next year. Davis if cut or traded will count 5 or 6 million, Wilkerson if cut will have an impact, Shade when cut will have an impact. D. Green has an impact, B. Smith if let go has a major impact..... Next year could be the worst cap year of all.

Of course if they truly want to dump wilkerson, maybe they would try to trade him for something instead of just cutting him.....

I don't see where Davis can be considered a "great" back. Where are the great runs, where are the tough first down runs? He had one spectacular year (big play wise), but this year and last year for the most part he has been solid at best. He doesn't make his line look better than it is. He looks to be only as good as his line, no better. A great back does more than Davis has this year. Further, 20 carries is not ignoring Davis. If Davis is averaging less than a yard per carry for a entire half, that is pathetic. Perhaps it was an off game or an aberration, but when was the last time we could hang our hat on him and just ride him to a win. I'm probably being overly severe, but last year and this year has dropped Davis in my estimation from great to above average. Then again, Davis has been struggling with injuries the entire season. This is another factor, Davis frequently throughout his career has picked up little injuries to his knees and ankles. While I think it is heroic and makes it easy to root for him because he played through many of these injuries they add up. Also, the tendency to get knicked may not be a trait that you really want in a six or eleven million dollar player. For the record, I want him back, but if we're talking money and value I'm not sure that it makes sense anymore.

He led the NFC in rushing yards last year and that wasn't his great year. In 99 he was the reason why Brad Johnson looked so good, teams had to respect his running.

He is a big bad bruising back and if we invested in a OL this offseason, he'd be so dangerous next year it'd be scary.

I'm not certain that Davis will be getting great offers from other teams:

He's a smashmouth running back, and while such players are (or can be, if the coach will use them) really usefull to have, they also tend to wear out early. Davis has been noted for his durability, and has beaten the odds as to the length of his career so far, but this year (while being used considerably less than in the past, he's missed games).

And, even in the past, he seemed to miss 1-2 games each year.

I'm not saying he's injury prone. Such injuries are expected for this type of RB. But, what's also is expected is that they'll retire along about this age.

As to getting first-round compensation for him: If I'm the GM for, say, Da Rayduhs, my position is "why should I give up a first, so I can get a guy with a big contract, (which I'll then have to immediatly start negotiating a pay cut with), when you're going to cut him anyway (and then I'll be able to get him without the big contract)?"

I don't think that the Skins will be able to trade Davis. The problem is his contract. No team is going to absorb that kind of deal. His salary next year is 11.5 Million (15% of the cap). No team would take that salary AND give up high draft picks.

The only way the Skins can trade Davis is if he and his agent agree on a new contract with another team BEFORE he is traded. I just don't see this happening. Davis would have to cooperate with the front office (the same office that will release him if the doesn't redo his contract). I just don't see it happening.

Davis probably won't redo his contract because he believes he is worth the money as a top paid back, which he probably is, but we can't afford to pay him the dollars he wants AND get him the touches he wants. Therefore, he will not redo his deal and no team will trade for someone with an unbelievable contract when they can negotiate with him in FA and get him w/o the draft picks.

I wish the guy would stay. I still think with a good offensive line and QB a good back is going to average 6 to 7 yards per carry in this offense. When it starts to hit on all cylinders and the defenses have to respect the deep ball, those sprint draws will bring with them alot of open field running.

Archived