Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New thought on top DL in this draft

mikalax2

I keep seeing posts that say all the DL in this draft are not as good of prospects as Mario Williams was last year and therefor we shouldn't go DL with #6. Well I think that is false. Nobody mentions that Mario had Manny Lawson on the other end and Tank Tyler in the middle. Those guys made him look dominate in college and could be why he hasnt looked as good as a pro. He is really young so who knows what he will end up as.

Anyways I am praying the we trade down a couple spots and get one of the best DL avaible along with another pick or two, but I definitely think if we cant find a trading (down) partner then we should stick with #6 and take who we believe will help our DL more. Plain and simple. We dont need Briggs, we dont need CJ. WE NEED DL.

I would rather see the D get back to its dominant form and the O stay the same, then the O get better and the D stay horrible. To get the D back we need young DL.

We only have 1 first day pick so the DL in the draft aren't worth a #6 pick. So who ever we would take at #6 won't make a big enough impact to make our D that much better. The D will not be horrible next season. Last year was a crop of problems and this season they will return back to old form without as many injuries. You get more of your money's worth with CJ compared to these DL prospects. I would love to get Okoye personally but I just don't see that happening. So CJ is highly possible.

So you'd rather be like the Bears than the Colts? How'd that work out?

Thanks!

Thats funny you use that to argue my point. Why dont you look at the history of the NFL and see what wins NFL championships...DEFENSE. Also the colts D stepped it up big time in the playoffs. I also sure would hope that without any changes our O would be better than chicago's O.

TRADE BACK. The draft is deep in DL so trade back to around #10 and get someone like Okoye or Carriker and pick up a second rounder to get another DL.

There are no can't miss DL in the draft. Adams, Branch, and Anderson are being clumped together with no real top player. Hell, one of them may still be there if the Skins drop back.

We only have 1 first day pick so the DL in the draft aren't worth a #6 pick. So who ever we would take at #6 won't make a big enough impact to make our D that much better. The D will not be horrible next season. Last year was a crop of problems and this season they will return back to old form without as many injuries. You get more of your money's worth with CJ compared to these DL prospects. I would love to get Okoye personally but I just don't see that happening. So CJ is highly possible.

I do think one of the top DL could be worth the # 6. Anyone of them could become probowlers. Nobody knows. what happened in college doesnt mean that will be the same in the pros. How fast, big or strong doesnt say what will happen in the pros. Every year there are DL selected that become great players. Its a crap shoot. My point is that I would rather take who we think, with all the long hours of studying all areas, is the best fit for our team and is the greatest need. Why must we spend more players or future picks for a WR. We have good WRs. Lloyd is better than he played last year. Also, WRs are busts all the time. You never know. CJ looks like he could be great, but nobody knows and nobody is a sure thing. I'm just sick of ignoring the DL every year and taking the popular pick. We need young hungry guys in the trenches.

We only have 1 first day pick so the DL in the draft aren't worth a #6 pick.

To any other team...NO...the #6 pick is the worst pick in the world. But BECAUSE we ONLY have a #6 pick we HAVE to go DL (and specifically DT) or just settle for more backups and another year of horrible overall defense. Your attempt at logic totally contradicts itself. :doh:

TRADE BACK. The draft is deep in DL so trade back to around #10 and get someone like Okoye or Carriker and pick up a second rounder to get another DL.

There are no can't miss DL in the draft. Adams, Branch, and Anderson are being clumped together with no real top player. Hell, one of them may still be there if the Skins drop back.

NO ONE wants to reach up to #6 because its the most unefficient spot in this year's draft considering the readiness of the prospects. And you have to blame the SKins and their sparkling 5-11 record that got us that pick. Teams will look to trade with Minnesota at 7 if they want to reach. NO team is stupid enough to give us an extra pick because we can't pull the trigger at 6. They know we have 1 pick on the first day and know we will go D-line or get ripped off in a very bad trade down. It's our FO that does stuff like that.

as long as we don't draft alan branch with the 6th pick, I know we desperately need a DT, but I'm hearing all bad things about the guy, about how he's lazy and doesn't like to work hard. At first I liked him, but now i think we need to trade down to about 9th pick or so, and pick up a 2nd rounder, and draft either Adams or Okoye and then a 2nd round pick on a DT or OG, maybe Ben Grubbs OG will be there still..

If you ignore the DL

If you ignore the DL this year then will be starting a 35old Daniels all next year who also having 2 off season surgeries. So in 2008 you will most likely be forced to pay through nose for free agent DE. As to CJ we would mostly need to trade our 2008 first round pick. With 2nd rounder you could select a DE but you also need to remember that O-Line and DT is also in need or youth.

And don’t forget the fact Taylor and Cooley are of contract. CJ is a fantastic talent but amount needs we have trading up to select him is not a smart option.

In 2008

Carters – 29

Daniels – 36

Griffen – 32

Jansen – 33

Rabachs – 32

Salave – 33

Samuel – 31

Thomas – 32

And that’s not even considering the age of our LB core. The redskins need an investment in youth on team. And thus cannot afford to trade away any 2008 picks. And expect to retain taylor and Cooley.

Ps. If CJ was available at 6th pick then you could select him but trading up is a very bad move with the age of the team. Unless you invest heavyly in free agency. I have no doubt there will be a once in 10 year player in the draft. At some point you just have to pass and use all your picks on getting younger. Unless we plan on starting an over 40s league

Absolutely, and I have no doubt in my mind the man we need most is alan branch. I don't really care who anyone THINKS is the best lineman in the draft. Adams may be a little better or he may not, I really don't care, we are fine (not excellent) at defensive end. Read the fan blog on redskins.com about Carter, I don't think he'll be a pro bowler or anything, but we are fine there, and can only be better with a HUGE DT that constantly demands multiple blockers.

A giant run-stuffing DT that eats up blockers to free people up is what we need, not to mention he can get to the quarterback himself. See Ray Lewis last offseason talking about why he was so successful with Siragusa in front of him and demanding they draft someone like Ngata.

I'm not saying Branch is the savior of the franchise or whatever, but I believe he may be the most positive influence on this teams performance of any of the players in the draft and its very likely he will be available at #6 and we don't have to trade away picks, just like Gibbs says he wants to.

I wouldn't really be all that opposed to trading down, picking up a second or third rounder and getting a different defensive lineman, or maybe branch would still be there. But as good as a couple of our tackles are (griffin is great, the others are alright) none of them are the ted-washington in his prime types that we need.

I vote Branch.

To any other team...NO...the #6 pick is the worst pick in the world. But BECAUSE we ONLY have a #6 pick we HAVE to go DL (and specifically DT) or just settle for more backups and another year of horrible overall defense. Your attempt at logic totally contradicts itself. :doh:

How does my logic contradict itself? First you only quoted what you wanted to make a point out of. You make no sense....(to any other team. . . NO. . .the #6 is the worst pick in the world) what are you saying? What's contradicting about saying that none of the DL are worth the number 6 pick. That CJ would more likely get you your money's worth than any of the DL. None of them really set themselves apart as to who is the most dominant. Because I said I personally would like Okoye? You forgot I also said that I don't see that happening because I think they want CJ more. Make some sense then get back to me.

If memory serves me right Taylor is locked in till 2011 so not a worry there. Cooley wouldn't want to break the bank. He is a loyal player and loves the game and DC. DL and OL and LB will be addressed with young guns this year and next year so don't worry. If we keep this years trend keeps for next year then we won't be paying through the nose next year for a DL.

If Branch is so good against the run then what happen to him making those plays or giving his fellow lineman an opprotunity to make plays against Ohio St. I was rooting for Michigan cause I hate OSU. I didn't see Branch stopping the OSU run. That was a HUGE game for him a must win and what happen. He didn't show his dominance.

as long as we don't draft alan branch with the 6th pick, I know we desperately need a DT, but I'm hearing all bad things about the guy, about how he's lazy and doesn't like to work hard.

Huh?

Look at Ngata is Bmore - because thats exactly what the "experts" were saying about him. He "took plays off", and wasn't a workout warrior. Meanwhile, he became a pressence on the D line, and simply adding him made that D unbelievable. All of a sudden Ray was a playmaker again. Nobody could run up the gut. He wasn't collapsing the pocket or getting in the backfield every down - he's just big, strong, and was always good enough to atleast hold the point of attack and not get blown off the ball. That is EXACTLY what me need next to Griff. That alone would have the most significant impact in improving our D as a whole.

We just need a big, strong, mountain of a man to line up on the interior, and all of a sudden our D would be back. Litterally. It's that damn simple.

I keep seeing posts that say all the DL in this draft are not as good of prospects as Mario Williams was last year and therefor we shouldn't go DL with #6. Well I think that is false. Nobody mentions that Mario had Manny Lawson on the other end and Tank Tyler in the middle. Those guys made him look dominate in college and could be why he hasnt looked as good as a pro. He is really young so who knows what he will end up as.

Anyways I am praying the we trade down a couple spots and get one of the best DL avaible along with another pick or two, but I definitely think if we cant find a trading (down) partner then we should stick with #6 and take who we believe will help our DL more. Plain and simple. We dont need Briggs, we dont need CJ. WE NEED DL.

I would rather see the D get back to its dominant form and the O stay the same, then the O get better and the D stay horrible. To get the D back we need young DL.

Where is the new thought you mentioned in the subject line?

There may be no can't miss DL's in the draft from our (fans) perspective but that doesn't mean that the Skins don't have one of these guys graded much higher than the others. For you there may not be much difference between Branch and Okoye (or Adams, Anderson and Carricker) but that doesn't mean the team feels that way.

Archived