Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Network- Top 10 NFL Draft Day Trades

[[ghost]]

Its coming on NFL network right now, if anybody wants to catch it. Looks intersted, and since we are fairly interested in trading down come draft day, I thought you guys would like it.

For those who are at work, school, or just can't watch NFL Network because of your cable, just post here, and I'll list them once its over.

*SPOILER* Skip this if you want to watch it for yourself.

I watched it last night. It's funny, I got my hopes up to see if they were going to say something good about the Skins' and Saints trade a few years back, but Shefter just took more shots at the Redskins as usual.

He said something like "The Redskins did absolutely nothing with all those picks" They didn't even mention any of the players the Redskins drafted that year - like they did for all the other teams.

*SPOILER* Skip this if you want to watch it for yourself.

I watched it last night. It's funny, I got my hopes up to see if they were going to say something good about the Skins' and Saints trade a few years back, but Shefter just took more shots at the Redskins as usual.

He said something like "The Redskins did absolutely nothing with all those picks" They didn't even mention any of the players the Redskins drafted that year - like they did for all the other teams.

That's actually BS. As much as I can't stand Arrington, he did play well for a few years here. And they also used some of the picks to trade back up in the 1st for Bailey and then a few hours later we traded up again for Jansen... 2 excellent players.

That's actually BS. As much as I can't stand Arrington, he did play well for a few years here. And they also used some of the picks to trade back up in the 1st for Bailey and then a few hours later we traded up again for Jansen... 2 excellent players.

Arrington, Samuels, Bailey, Jansen - not too shabby - I wonder how many more pro bowls they have over Ricky Williams.

If we actually had some coaching stability through the years, our team could have been scary.

I was just expecting the usual optimistic approach that most of these other teams on the list received - I should have known better.

I guess it's just too much for some of these guys to support anything Redskins during the Snyder era - what would their friends think?

Shefter is actually right in this case. Looking back it was a lost opportunity for us.

Here are the picks we got for Rickey Williams and what they turned into:

1st rounder #12- Traded for Champ Bailey (Cade McCown)

3rd rounder- Traded for Champ Bailey (D'Wayne Bates)

4th rounder- Traded for Champ Bailey (Warrick Holdman...LOLL)

5th Rounder- Traded for Champ (Kari Samuel)

6th Rounder- Kept by Redskins (Jeff Hall- Kicker)

7th Rounder- Part of a deal to trade up with the Broncos for a 5th rounder (Billy Miller)....The trade up got us Derek Smith, a LT who didn't play for us but with one of the picks we traded away the Broncos drafted Desmond Clark in Round 6

1st Rounder #2 Lavar Arrington

3rd Rounder- Lloyd Harrison

As part of the Champ deal we gave our 2000 3rd rounder to the Bears.

The Rickey Williams deal got us the following:

2- 1sts

2- 3rds

1-4th

1-5th

1-6th

1-7th

Those 8 picks in all netted the Redskins Champ Bailey, Lavar Arrington, Jeff Hall, a pick that was packaged with another for Derek Smith(Not the linebacker), and Lloyd Harrison.....On top of that we went on to trade Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis.....

Considering the opportunity that was there to build a deep team, our FO blew it. I'm in no way saying that the Bears really took advantage of the picks and I understand that Lavar's injuries contributed to the end result but its just seems that you should be able to make more then Lavar and what ended up being Portis out of a combined 9 picks (8 from N.O. and 1 from us as part of the Portis deal)....The 1999 and 2000 picks that we got from the Saints should have made up the foundation of the team for the past few years. Instead for all of those picks we got, the only present day contribution to our roster is Clinton Portis.

Arrington, Samuels, Bailey, Jansen - not too shabby - I wonder how many more pro bowls they have over Ricky Williams.

If we actually had some coaching stability through the years, our team could have been scary.

I was just expecting the usual optimistic approach that most of these other teams on the list received - I should have known better.

I guess it's just too much for some of these guys to support anything Redskins during the Snyder era - what would their friends think?

I thought the Jansen trade-up involved picks independent of the Rickey trade??

If I'm not mistaken, Samuals is also completely independent of the Saints trade as well. We got him with the second 1st rounder from Carolina for the DT (name excaped me atm) that was franchise tagged. I believe we packaged our 1st and that pick to move up to the 3rd overall.

If I'm not mistaken, Samuals is also completely independent of the Saints trade as well. We got him with the second 1st rounder from Carolina for the DT (name excaped me atm) that was franchise tagged. I believe we packaged our 1st and that pick to move up to the 3rd overall.

Sean Gilbert would be his name.

Shefter is actually right in this case. .....On top of that we went on to trade Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis.....

Not exactly. We traded champ plus our #1 draft pick for CP. CP is more a reflection of that draft pick than continued equity from the Ricky Williams deal. I do get your drift though. ;)

Dallas trade with Minnesota would have to be the #1 trade of all time in my book. I believe they received several hall of famers out of that deal.

I think they ended up getting Darren Woodson, Micheal Irvin and one of the starting guards for 10 years for all those picks. So, let's just say it really helped them.

Mcown was under warrner in arizona. but the raiders made bad QB moves last year. So Damarcus is their best pick. Then comes lions and or right or wrong bucs. All i have to say is cj gone and probley gaines also. but lets give away next year for them both. thats fine with me

I do agree with Shefter that we didn't take advantage of all those picks. But that fact should not impact the ranking of that deal.

I'm sorry, I just can't think of another draft day deal (remember there weren't even any rumors of this thing happening at the time it just came out of the blue while the Skins were on the clock) in which one team gives up it's entire draft PLUS a 1st and a 3rd the following year to select one player.

I guess if the criteria is "successful" trades, then yeah this one didn't turn out as well as it should have. But if the criteria is just a deal that makes your jaw drop when you hear it, this one wins hands down.

Archived