Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our DT situation and the draft

jflagg215

Everyone keeps harping in on how we need to take DL help with the number six pick in the draft. I agree, but with DE only. I would be surprised if Gibbs and Co. go with a DT early in this years draft, maybe even at all. Why? I believe that the position has already been addressed last year in Golston and Montgomery. I know only Golston played any snaps this year, but we don't know what these kids look like in practice and there is a reason that they are still on the roster. I don't feel that DT is a position of need.

However, DE is. Carter's improvement was great near the end of the season and I am comfortable with him there. Wynn and Daniels on the other hand are getting long in the tooth and starting to show their age. A DE at the #6 spot is very attractive. But who do we take. I don't like Adams for the fact that having light pass rushers on the DL sets you up to get run all over like the Colts. I don't know enough about Anderson but I have seen that he is anywhere between the best and the 6th best DE on peoples draft boards. Carriker I really like and he will be there at six but is he a reach at number six, who knows. Could we trade down to get him?

Lastly, alot of threads have been started about CJ and Landry. No way CJ is there. Someone will take him before #6 and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up #1 overall. Landry is an interesting prospect. The kid is a stud and next to Taylor they would be very intimidating. However, I recall that after Clark left Taylor had some issues with knowing where to be. It seems he needs help with this and I dont think a rookie is the best person to help him. Maybe a little continuity will help Taylor become the player he can be which is the best safety in the NFL.

Personally I want to trade down, build depth in the secondary and along the lines and pick up a raw DE in the later rounds. But really who knows, I haven't been able to predict what the skins would do in a draft since ST was drafted and thats cause it was a no brainer.

:chug:

I agree with you on most points. I think DE is a position of need, for obvious reasons. However, I also think that taking the best defensive player available is what should be done - whether it is a DE, DT, or S. I think Taylor will play better as he really understands the system better. I think he might have relied too much on Clark. I would be happy with Landry, but only if we trade back and draft him...not at 6. Obviously if somehow CJ is available take him - but he won't be.

Raiders take Russell

Lions take Thomas

Browns take Peterson

Bucs take Adams/Branch

Cardinals take DEFENSE(not 100% sure who, maybe Landry)

Skins take CALVIN JOHNSON!!!!

Do you see where I'm going with this? There's only one team who could take Johnson ahead of us, and that'd be the Bucs. Only problem I see with TB taking CJ is the fact that they have Clayton and the kid from Notre Dame whose name escapes me, and the fact that their defense is old as zoo dirt. Haha!

Johnson and Moss. Can't you just taste it??

Raiders take Russell

Lions take Thomas

Browns take Peterson

Bucs take Adams/Branch

Do you see where I'm going with this? There's only one team who could take Johnson ahead of us, and that'd be the Bucs. Only problem I see with TB taking CJ is the fact that they have Clayton and the kid from Notre Dame whose name escapes me, and the fact that their defense is old as zoo dirt. Haha!

i can taste it! johnson having 2000 receiving and 30 touchdowns as we go 0-16 because we give up an average of 50 points a game and 300 yards on the ground per game. IM EXCITED!!!!

i can taste it! johnson having 2000 receiving and 30 touchdowns as we go 0-16 because we give up an average of 50 points a game and 300 yards on the ground per game. IM EXCITED!!!!

HAHAHA...lmfao...that was great. I'm currently teaching a class - my kids are doing work, and I just burtst out laughing. CJ will not be there at 6! No way.

HAHAHA...lmfao...that was great. I'm currently teaching a class - my kids are doing work, and I just burtst out laughing. CJ will not be there at 6! No way.

its half funny half sad that people dont seem to get were gonna go 5-11 again unless we fix our defense. again, our offense never had trouble moving the ball with campbell in there. brunell was another story, but thats for another thread.

DE is defineately more pressing than DT, just for the simple fact that Renaldo Wynn and Phillip Daniels are not getting any younger and their salaries are huge. And considering we pay Wynn 4 million a year to be a leader on the bench. We need some good young players at DE. Carter will be fine on his side. Once you put a LB behind him that can tackle (not Holdman). I feel that Marshall is going to start on the outside.

Raiders take Russell

Lions take Thomas

Browns take Peterson

Bucs take Adams/Branch

Johnson has top 5 value, so if nobody up there wants him, they'll trade down!

Raiders take Russell

Lions take Thomas

Browns take Peterson

Bucs take Adams/Branch

N O T G O I N G T O H A P P E N !

You guys just dont realize how CJ will turn a team completely around!

You talk about us improving our defense, well we have with Fletcher and Smoot, two of our BIGGEST problem areas last season.

Golston in Year 2 will be a force at the DT spot. Andre Carter came on late and will be a beast at RE. We will trade Springs and somehow get a LE, possibly with our latest pick. One thing we know about Snyder, he always finds a way to fill the voids.

You talk about us improving our defense, well we have with Fletcher and Smoot, two of our BIGGEST problem areas last season.

Golston in Year 2 will be a force at the DT spot. Andre Carter came on late and will be a beast at RE. We will trade Springs and somehow get a LE, possibly with our latest pick. One thing we know about Snyder, he always finds a way to fill the voids.

the problem with snyder filling the voids is he doesnt know a damn thing about football. hence the 1 play off game in the last 10 years, and the massive money wasted last year on names, not players.

B/C a rookie DT / DE will make the Skins win 10 or 11 games...

not at all, but an improved defense will make the skins win games. we already fixed MLB, CB and we need to fix the d-line. carter/griff/golston are the only ones i trust, so we need a DE and a DT and possibly another S. if we trade down a few spots and get 2 picks in the first 2 rounds, we can solve problems on the d-line that drafting the 6'5 wet dream wont solve.

he sure does, remember last year when we filled those voids? i sure do.......

and you dont realize anything about CJ because he hasnt played a snap in the nfl.

and on a CJ related side note, i dont watch college football but i was going through the GT game log, did that guy match up with a single decent cornerback at all this season? please inform me because id like to know, but that conference looks like its full of scrub teams with bad defenses.

i dont watch college football

B Lloyd - we are definitely boys................BUT....

You just lost ALL credibility in your "Against drafting CJ" Forum discussions...ALL OF IT.

Dude - in all honestly...try to catch up on this guy's playmaking ability. YouTube...Google Video...ESPN...etc. He may not end up with the Skins...but he will be exciting to watch in the NFL...much like Reggie Bush.

B Lloyd - we are definitely boys................BUT....

You just lost ALL credibility in your "Against drafting CJ" Forum discussions...ALL OF IT.

Dude - in all honestly...try to catch up on this guy's playmaking ability. YouTube...Google Video...ESPN...etc. He may not end up with the Skins...but he will be exciting to watch in the NFL...much like Reggie Bush.

i hate college football with a passion. the defenses are HORRENDOUS. every attempt i make to watch a game, its just some offense mowing over some defense and everyone thinks "man, these RBs/WRs/QBs are sooooo good" but its only because the Ds are beyond bad.

ive watched every highlight reel on calvin johnson that i could find, and its mostly the same catches (the one over the middle that was overthrown that he reached backed and grabbed it, and bunch of his endzone grabs in small spaces). the kid is a beast, ive never once detracted from his skills, but if you do watch college football please answer me this. did CJ ever once match up with an elite top flight college corner? i looked through the game logs at the teams they played, and most of them looked like awful podunk schools. again, i could be way off because i dont follow georgia tech, but i dont remember seeing them match up with ohio or michagan or any teams with a bunch of highly touted defenders. answer me if you can.

and ive made it pretty obvious to most posters i dont watch college football. point me in the direction of a team that doesnt give up 600 yards a game and we'll talk.

Archived