Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our DT situation and the draft

jflagg215

SEC > any other college football conference.

However, CJ was in the ACC. Not the SEC. So he played ACC teams.

Yeah, I know, I was just responding to the question about some teams that actual can play defense and they can in the SEC. I see now that the question was about ACC teams in particular that can play defense, my bad, I can't answer that.

I have a question for this debate and I know it is not popular but, considering we have all our picks next year,

IF CJ fell to six would you guys be totally against drafting him and then trading next years #1 for a early second and drafting the best DE available (Draft is loaded with a ton of similarly graded DE's). To me that would make us a great team with most of our problems fixed.

and were there any elite CBs in the ACC that would have matched up against him and shut him down? or was it a bunch of scrubs who got pwned by him on a weekly basis?

I know CJ wasnt a huge factor in the Georgia/Georgia Tech game this past year.

Though whether that is because of the Georgia CBs or the fact that Reggie Ball sucks is up in the air...

aka- I dont know. But I figured Id share this because Georgia is in the SEC.

no battle is necesarry, but you still didnt answer my question. did CJ match up with any good cornerbacks?

To answer your question directly...he faced ONE top tier CB...Maryland's Josh Wilson - he is the 9th ranked CB coming from College...via ESPN - nothing special:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/position?id=92&draftyear=2007

However...his matchups vs. Safeties...is much more interesting...

He did face 3 of the top 7 Safeties...on occasion...AND...he was double and sometimes triple teamed in the final game vs WVU...

http://georgiatech.rivals.com/schedule.asp

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/position?id=93&draftyear=2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Johnson_%28football%29

but pretty much CJ played the entire season against sub par talent. itll be interesting to see how he fares against top NFL corners who are much more physical and much better in coverage.

and its also pretty funny to note, that obviously that reggie ball kid sucks, but he threw for 1800 yards this season, 1200 of those were to CJ. haha, talk about just honing in on one guy.

but pretty much CJ played the entire season against sub par talent. itll be interesting to see how he fares against top NFL corners who are much more physical and much better in coverage.

and its also pretty funny to note, that obviously that reggie ball kid sucks, but he threw for 1800 yards this season, 1200 of those were to CJ. haha, talk about just honing in on one guy.

Just for the record I think CJ will be gone by #6, but doesn't those stats kind of lean towards helping the CJ case. I would think that the opposing D's would be at least double covering him. I don't know as I don't watch much college and never saw him play.

I think thats is two CJs credit cuz he was the only one who had the talent to get after the balls Ball threw.

(Disclaimer: That is an endorsement of his skill. Not of us drafting him.)

We have adequate talent at every position except one IMO and that is the DT position. We can make a good run at the playoffs and SB if we address the DT position in the draft. Branch is our man. Forget the DE's are old talk. Daniels/Wynn/Evans can get the job done this year. These guys are not on there backs getting run over and dogged out. They do need help by getting a push up the middle to stop the run up the middle and to prevent the QB from stepping up in the pocket. Each DLineman has a job. Daniels/Wynn/Evans job is to play sound DE technique. Play the run to their side, don't let anyone around the corner on your side (reverses) and watch for the QB being flushed to your side to make the play. Notice I didn't say anything about putting pressure on the QB because that is the job of the other DE. Carter is the speed rushing DE. He is to try to get in the backfield fast and cause mahelm. (this is your SACKS DE) Then you have one DT that penetrates and gets upfield. (Griff/Golston) Then you have a DT that drawns two blockers consistantly, plays and stops the run, keeps blockers from running straingt out to block the LBers, and help collapse the pocket from the middle.

Guess what? We don't have anyone that can play that last DT role!!! Griff and Golston are penetrating DT's. (not 2 gap run stopping) Big Joe was hurt all season so you don't want to count on that. Montgomery is young and is not the answer. We need to stop the run 1st. I don't understand why you don't see that as being priority. You stop the run then the other parts of your DL and overall D works better. You don't want 3rd and 1's, 3rd and 2's. They are to easy to make and to hard to figure out what the other team is going to try to do to get those 2 yards. 3rd and 7 or longer on the other hand, you almost certainly know what their going to do (pass)and you release the dogs on them. Your LBer blitz's will be more effective because the DT is taking up to blockers, the other lineman has his hands full with Griff, Carter is one on one with a prime suspect, Daniels/Wynn/Evans is waiting for the QB to flush right to them and you have LBers coming in free and untouched. Branch will be our Darrell Gardner without the back problems for years to come. That year Gardner was our DT; he was a hand full for every team we played. He would swallow ball carriers, laugh at two linemen trying to block him and crushed the middle of the o-line. You can't tell me you would'nt want that. That is what Branch will do and do it like no other. Okoye will not give you the same effect.

DE = more nightmare's of teams running down our throat, LBer's being ineffective and us not getting off the field on 3rd down (Anderson,Adams,Carriyar)

DT = stop the run, keep LBer's clean to make plays and longer distances on 3rd downs which lead to more sack opportunities and TO's (Branch)

WHICH ONE DO YOU WANT?

I think thats is two CJs credit cuz he was the only one who had the talent to get after the balls Ball threw.

(Disclaimer: That is an endorsement of his skill. Not of us drafting him.)

not really, cause if he just torches two really bad CBs vs one really bad CB its not a whole hell of a difference. just two guys getting left in the dust vs one.

not really, cause if he just torches two really bad CBs vs one really bad CB its not a whole hell of a difference. just two guys getting left in the dust vs one.

For someone who plays Madden...you are forgetting a lot of the "strategery" involved in shutting down ONE player...which is what GT had in Calvin Johnson.

You don't stop one stud WR with just a CB...you do it with the CB...Safety...OLB...and Nickel CB...

Kind of like WVU TRIED to do...and failed.

If he didn't have a remarkable 4.33 second 40-yard dash, didn't record an 11-foot standing broad jump, and have a vertical leap of 43 inches...and wasn't the projected "best athlete" coming out of college by NUMEROUS Sports media outlets...I would side with you.

For someone who plays Madden...you are forgetting a lot of the "strategery" involved in shutting down ONE player...which is what GT had in Calvin Johnson.

You don't stop one stud WR with just a CB...you do it with the CB...Safety...OLB...and Nickel CB...

Kind of like WVU TRIED to do...and failed.

If he didn't have a remarkable 4.33 second 40-yard dash, didn't record an 11-foot standing broad jump, and have a vertical leap of 43 inches...and wasn't the projected "best athlete" coming out of college by NUMEROUS Sports media outlets...I would side with you.

the kid is good, but i dont want him here while our defense continues to suck monkeys. find a way to fix our defense before april 29th, and we'll trade down and get him.

No way CJ is there at 6. If he is you take him. He won't get past the Bucs and if he does teams will be trying to trade up to secure him at 5. He is the best player in this draft. Even though we need D-line desperately I would still take CJ in a heartbeat and not look back. He's that good.

Raiders take Russell

Lions take Thomas

Browns take Peterson

Bucs take Adams/Branch

Cardinals take DEFENSE(not 100% sure who, maybe Landry)

Skins take CALVIN JOHNSON!!!!

Do you see where I'm going with this? There's only one team who could take Johnson ahead of us, and that'd be the Bucs. Only problem I see with TB taking CJ is the fact that they have Clayton and the kid from Notre Dame whose name escapes me, and the fact that their defense is old as zoo dirt. Haha!

Johnson and Moss. Can't you just taste it??

Can you see the Skins fans calling the front office dumb next season when we are giving up a crap load of points?

You guys just dont realize how CJ will turn a team completely around!

You talk about us improving our defense, well we have with Fletcher and Smoot, two of our BIGGEST problem areas last season.

Golston in Year 2 will be a force at the DT spot. Andre Carter came on late and will be a beast at RE. We will trade Springs and somehow get a LE, possibly with our latest pick. One thing we know about Snyder, he always finds a way to fill the voids.

Whatever..............

What they didnt address our 2 biggest holes, DT and DE in FA. You dont seem to understand that CJ wont do much for the defence. Now if you LIKE watching it give up 200+ yards ruching a game, peachy.

I dont.

If you LIKE watching opposing QB's sitting in a Lazy-Boy recliner, working on a bothersome hangnail, as they wait for a WR to get open, because there is no pass rush, that's dandy.

I dont.

Check out these Branch vids - even if we don't take him - look at what good DTs can do in the middle of the line - he demanded double teams and in some cases triple teams and the ends were one on one with tackles and constantly got to the QB.

Makes a WR all but impotent when the QB is on his butt.... remember when we had QBs getting sacked constantly? Really helped our offense didn't it? CJ would be a nice luxury but a DT and a DE would in my mind be imperative.

Even when our defense was ranked high, we lost games. Why? Because our offense was mediocre but our defense was built on stunts and blitzes that teams finally picked up on. When you have to bring 6-7 men to get to the QB or RB that leaves the CB on an island - and I don't think we want to do that after watching last years games

May the Good Football God protect us from injuries in the secondary if we take CJ cause we're gonna really need it!

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3601403&postcount=75

We have adequate talent at every position except one IMO and that is the DT position. We can make a good run at the playoffs and SB if we address the DT position in the draft. Branch is our man. Forget the DE's are old talk. Daniels/Wynn/Evans can get the job done this year. These guys are not on there backs getting run over and dogged out. They do need help by getting a push up the middle to stop the run up the middle and to prevent the QB from stepping up in the pocket. Each DLineman has a job. Daniels/Wynn/Evans job is to play sound DE technique. Play the run to their side, don't let anyone around the corner on your side (reverses) and watch for the QB being flushed to your side to make the play. Notice I didn't say anything about putting pressure on the QB because that is the job of the other DE. Carter is the speed rushing DE. He is to try to get in the backfield fast and cause mahelm. (this is your SACKS DE) Then you have one DT that penetrates and gets upfield. (Griff/Golston) Then you have a DT that drawns two blockers consistantly, plays and stops the run, keeps blockers from running straingt out to block the LBers, and help collapse the pocket from the middle.

Guess what? We don't have anyone that can play that last DT role!!! Griff and Golston are penetrating DT's. (not 2 gap run stopping) Big Joe was hurt all season so you don't want to count on that. Montgomery is young and is not the answer. We need to stop the run 1st. I don't understand why you don't see that as being priority. You stop the run then the other parts of your DL and overall D works better. You don't want 3rd and 1's, 3rd and 2's. They are to easy to make and to hard to figure out what the other team is going to try to do to get those 2 yards. 3rd and 7 or longer on the other hand, you almost certainly know what their going to do (pass)and you release the dogs on them. Your LBer blitz's will be more effective because the DT is taking up to blockers, the other lineman has his hands full with Griff, Carter is one on one with a prime suspect, Daniels/Wynn/Evans is waiting for the QB to flush right to them and you have LBers coming in free and untouched. Branch will be our Darrell Gardner without the back problems for years to come. That year Gardner was our DT; he was a hand full for every team we played. He would swallow ball carriers, laugh at two linemen trying to block him and crushed the middle of the o-line. You can't tell me you would'nt want that. That is what Branch will do and do it like no other. Okoye will not give you the same effect.

DE = more nightmare's of teams running down our throat, LBer's being ineffective and us not getting off the field on 3rd down (Anderson,Adams,Carriyar)

DT = stop the run, keep LBer's clean to make plays and longer distances on 3rd downs which lead to more sack opportunities and TO's (Branch)

WHICH ONE DO YOU WANT?

Anderson and Carriker are great at stopping the run

Raiders take Russell

Lions take Thomas

Browns take Peterson

Bucs take Adams/Branch

Cardinals take DEFENSE(not 100% sure who, maybe Landry)

Skins take CALVIN JOHNSON!!!!

Do you see where I'm going with this? There's only one team who could take Johnson ahead of us, and that'd be the Bucs. Only problem I see with TB taking CJ is the fact that they have Clayton and the kid from Notre Dame whose name escapes me, and the fact that their defense is old as zoo dirt. Haha!

Johnson and Moss. Can't you just taste it??

I LOVE it!

Archived