Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rap Cat or come watch headexplode's head actually explode

headexplode

Advertising has to be the easiest job in the world. With all the horrible ads I see on TV and now this Rap Cat bull****. I'm sorry. But if you're in advertising you should congratulate yourself. No one can possibly have it better than you. This is awful. :laugh:

The worst campaign though is the "Our Country" spots by Chevy. For one thing, the song is awful. For another, I think there's something really screwed up about using our national and cultural heritage to sell trucks. The commercials are really ironic though: there's always the image of vast, unspoiled amber waves of grain and then, a big ****ing truck comes through spewing out pollutants and tearing up most of the field. I don't think they get it.

Advertising has to be the easiest job in the world. With all the horrible ads I see on TV and now this Rap Cat bull****. I'm sorry. But if you're in advertising you should congratulate yourself. No one can possibly have it better than you. This is awful. :laugh:

Actually, advertising is one tough job. And I will admit that some ads are really really bad. However, you also have to look at it this way, certain things are tough to advertise for. Checker's for instance, what are they going to advertise? Their burgers are good, their fries are good? Every fast food chain will say that. They have to separate themselves somehow, they have to stick out in your mind. Even though those ads suck, if they can catch your attention, then they've done their jobs. Let's say you see this commercial and you've never been to Checker's. You might think, "Goddamn that's a dumb commercial.", but then one day you're in the car, and you see Checker's and you remember who they are. Now some reaction might be to keep driving, others might say, "I remember they had these really dumb assed commercials, I wonder what this place is all about.", that's a successful ad. If Checker's commercials were just "Our food is good" then most people are not going to care because they'll say, "Well BK's food is good. Why should I eat there?", that's not helpful in an advertising sense.

The worst campaign though is the "Our Country" spots by Chevy. For one thing, the song is awful. For another, I think there's something really screwed up about using our national and cultural heritage to sell trucks. The commercials are really ironic though: there's always the image of vast, unspoiled amber waves of grain and then, a big ****ing truck comes through spewing out pollutants and tearing up most of the field. I don't think they get it.

Mellencamp did one for Honda too ...

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54877

Archived