Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the 3-4 a possibility?

skinsfan12

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

With the recent acquisition of MLB London Fletcher, I dream of a linebacker corps of Washington (SSB), Fletcher (MLB), Marshall (MLB), McIntosh (WSB). Up front, Carter (DE), Griffin (DT), Jamaal Anderson (1st Rd/DE).

Has Gregg Williams shown in the past that he's a 3-4 kinda guy? Everything I've read and heard about Williams' style says NO WAY JOSE'. Does this mean there's no room for adaptation? Would a 3-4 even be wise given how dramatic a shift it would be to the entrenched defensive scheme?

With the recent acquisition of MLB London Fletcher, I dream of a linebacker corps of Washington (SSB), Fletcher (MLB), Marshall (MLB), McIntosh (WSB). Up front, Carter (DE), Griffin (DT), Jamaal Anderson (1st Rd/DE).

Has Gregg Williams shown in the past that he's a 3-4 kinda guy? Everything I've read and heard about Williams' style says NO WAY JOSE'. Does this mean there's no room for adaptation? Would a 3-4 even be wise given how dramatic a shift it would be to the entrenched defensive scheme?

There might be room for adaptation if we actually had the personnel to run a 3-4. We simply don't. Our NT and DEs would get eaten alive. We don't have the size.

griffin is too small to be a NT for 3-4, if we got branch, then it seems more plausible

True enough, but what would we do on DE? Daniels is probably technically big enough to play 3-4 DE but Carter certainly isn't. He would get totally locked up by blockers and not be able to do what he does best.

It's a maybe. I'm sure we could run any defense, we would have to draft branch or another huge guy to successfully run a defense like that. I don't think a switch would happen any time soon, but you could see that formation in certain situations if they do draft Branch. But I really don't see them switching their philosophy in that regard in a permanent fashion.

We just don't have the personnel for it. McIntosh and even Washington a little bit don't have the size you want in a 3-4 OLB. Marshall and Fletcher would be a good pair of MLB. Also, Carter is too small to play end in the 3-4 and didn't adapt well to 3-4 OLB in San Fran. He's best suited as a traditional 4-3 DE. The main problem, however, is at DT. A 3-4 DT should be 325 and up, a big two gap guy who takes up blockers and holds the point of attack. All of our DTs are one gap, penetrating DT who use burst and quickness to shoot the gap. We would need to totally revamp the D-line, adding bigger tackles and ends (although some of our DTs might make excellent 3-4 ends) and we would need to add a good deal of bulk to our linebacking corp. Gregg Williams has never really run it much before and has built our personnel around an attacking, speed driven 4-3 style. It's just not practical.

I'll admit that a 3-4 defense is not likely in the works but I would have to argue that it would be nice but our personnel are too small.

Alan Branch would be big enough. I don't know why people are saying that Carter wouldn't be big enough. He is 6-4 265. Granted he would have to bulk up, but he is certainly tall enough at this point.

I like the 4-3 but I prefer 3-4, whatever they decide to run, I am sure it will work fine though.

-Kevin

We COULD put together a 3-4 unit but we would have zero depth along the line. We could draft Branch for the NT and kick Big Griff out to the end to have a line

DE- Wynn/Daniels

DT- Branch

DE- Griff

Carter would have to convert back to a pass rushing LB where he struggled in San Fran, and came to Washington specifically to get out of the 3-4.

The LB's would like be

OLB- Rocky

ILB- Fletcher

ILB- Washington

OLB- Carter

So we could possibly do it, but I wouldn't suggest it. If you think our run D sucked last year just try that with a new system for everyone to grasp. It would take a full draft of picks to convert our D over toa 3-4 much like Dallas did 2-3 years ago when they took Ware and Spears.

No. We would have to overhaul the ENTIRE defense. We do some 3-4 packages, but it really is not a good option for us.

We don't do 3-4 packages. I used to think that too, but I've never seen 4 LB's in unless Washington lines up at End, but they are still in a 4-3 b/c Wash. is an End at that point. We don't line up that way (3-4) ever. We do line up with 3 DL's in our 3-2-6 packages and such. :2cents:

it would take an overhaul of some of the players but with Joey Porter sitting in free agency that would go a long ways in overhauling the situation. I think that the 3-4 is better than the 4-3 and would love to see it done, I played college ball in the 3-4 and I believe that the scheme it self makes players better. The Skins would improve instantly.

Archived