Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Money saved by not signing Davis.....

NVskinsfan

Thats the good thing about this year... we will actually have a little breathing room. We need all the money we can get because the market is going to dictate that Cooley and Taylor get monster deals. When its time to extend Taylor I wouldnt be surprised if he gets something that rivals Nate Clements. By then the market might use the clements deal as a benchmark. Cooley will surely be a top target of many teams because all of the truely great tight ends are all locked up. Lock these guys up!

There is no freakin way that Taylor would get a contract the size of Clements. What are you talking about? That is corner money. The last time I checked Taylor couldn't cover that well. HE could get and Archuletta type contract but nothing close to what your talking about.

I know as a redskin fan everyone is freakin worried like and old lady walking in DC at night. BUt come on. We will get these guys signed eventually. They will do it when the time is right.

Why the hell would we resign them now making us less cap space. We will use that to improve this team this year. Then we will resign them. And if Taylor wants Clements money then he can go. And I love Taylor. He is one my favorite players.

Redskins should do what the Eagles FO does, sign the guy before contract expires and keep him around for a long time. If we wait till his final contract year, he'll have a career year, and then get paid an insane amount form another team (like the Bills, who seem to like taking our players)

speaking of money, can someone tell me how much cap space we have since signing Fletcher and Smoot?

Probably arround 7 mil. Not much considering teams like the 49er's had 35 mil going into free agency.

There is no freakin way that Taylor would get a contract the size of Clements. What are you talking about? That is corner money. The last time I checked Taylor couldn't cover that well. HE could get and Archuletta type contract but nothing close to what your talking about.

I know as a redskin fan everyone is freakin worried like and old lady walking in DC at night. BUt come on. We will get these guys signed eventually. They will do it when the time is right.

Why the hell would we resign them now making us less cap space. We will use that to improve this team this year. Then we will resign them. And if Taylor wants Clements money then he can go. And I love Taylor. He is one my favorite players.

When you talk about the increase in the cap over the years and Taylors athletic ability it is not out impossible for Taylors price to be driven up to the neighborhood of what would then be a Clements deal signed 4-5 years ago. Some younger guys are going to continue to develop and then when its time to re-up they are going to want to be the new highest paid defensive player. While it may not happen, lets not turn a blind eye to it. It's smarter to play it safe and make them feel wanted well before FA starts.

When you talk about the increase in the cap over the years and Taylors athletic ability it is not out impossible for Taylors price to be driven up to the neighborhood of what would then be a Clements deal signed 4-5 years ago. Some younger guys are going to continue to develop and then when its time to re-up they are going to want to be the new highest paid defensive player. While it may not happen, lets not turn a blind eye to it. It's smarter to play it safe and make them feel wanted well before FA starts.

Again. I will say this nicely . You are crazy. Look at what Ed Reed got. a better player and that is what Taylor will get. It might inflate because we won't go it for another year but not by much. HE doesn't play CB. It is much easier to find a good SS than a CB.

Resigning anyone at this juncture would be mad, with all of the massive contracts going up. Ask Cooley to re-sign right now and he'd probably ask for $15 million in guarentees. Wait a while, let the hype and commotion of free agency die down a bit, and get a deal done in training camp.

There's no rush right now.

how many of u guys are going to beach blitz. i live in myrtle beach and i will be ther for the entire weekend. i wne tlast year and was a great time with the exception of my experience with cooley but thats another topic. note to all who are goin. the autograph sessions are cool but i got more autograph outside of the players hotel. all the players signed items for everybody outside the hotel.:eaglesuck

Honestly, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of starting Pucillo at LG. He's cheap, knows the system, has started before, and the coaches seem to like him. Why not try him out and see if he can at least do his part on an allready talented line? If nothing else, I bet he pulls better than Dock did.

how many of u guys are going to beach blitz. i live in myrtle beach and i will be ther for the entire weekend. i wne tlast year and was a great time with the exception of my experience with cooley but thats another topic. note to all who are goin. the autograph sessions are cool but i got more autograph outside of the players hotel. all the players signed items for everybody outside the hotel.:eaglesuck

Good for you. What does this have to do with this retarded thread?

I agree with the decision not to sign Davis. He is a native of Texas who will probably perform better in Dallas than he would have in Washington: if he came here, it would have been strictly for the dollars.

we saved allot of money man the cowboys over paid for davis lol

Michael Smith of ESPN.com reports that the Dallas Cowboys are finalizing a deal for offensive lineman Leonard Davis, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2001 draft.

Davis is expected to play right tackle or right guard.

The contract is expected to exceed the mammoth deals given to three non-Pro Bowl offensive linemen who were in the right place at the right time this week: Kris Dielman, Eric Steinbach, and Derrick Dockery.

Davis had plenty of time to show that he deserved a big-money deal from a team with more cap room than Abe Lincoln with a buzz cut. And Davis hasn't shown he can get it done.

But, hey, no one is talking much about the Cowboys right now because all of the other teams are spending the money, so why not overpay for a guy who, if he were destined to be the next Larry Allen, would have shown a little of the same skills at some point in the past six seasons? I mean, the money has to be spent anyway, so why not give it to a guy who doesn't necessarily deserve it?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Archived