Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to the Post Gazzete J Porter might be released

JPG

Listening to WIP and according to the Post Gazette Porter is to be cut before awarded his million dollar bonus and thus leading the Steelers to a savings of 5 million in cap space. Guess dude does not fit into the 4-3

Fire up Redskin one Danny boy.:D

If this came true. Do you think the SKins would go after another Steeler in Free Agency. I think he would fit perfectly on our team.

He isn't that old. I still think he is in his prime. He could also be moved to MLB. Him and Randel EL got along amd were friends so that migth help him decide where he goes. He would cost some us money though.

Listening to WIP and according to the Post Gazette Porter is to be cut before awarded his million dollar bonus and thus leading the Steelers to a savings of 5 million in cap space. Guess dude does not fit into the 4-3

Fire up Redskin one Danny boy.:D

If this came true. Do you think the SKins would go after another Steeler in Free Agency. I think he would fit perfectly on our team.

I would love if the Skins signed Joey Porter. He is strictly a 3-4 linebacker and would, without question, be grossely overmatched trying to do anything else at this stage in his career.

Porter would be a great fit in New England's 3-4 defense. They need another playmaker at the linebacker position.

I somewhat agree. I do think he has enough talent to fit into any system. He is a great pass rushing LB that is big enought o be arun stopping MLB. JUst my opinion though. I would be surprised if the Steelers do this but who knows.

Is this Joey Porter the LB with the Steelers or Jerry Porter WR with Oakland?

Joey. Sorry for the confusion.

I somewhat agree. I do think he has enough talent to fit into any system. He is a great pass rushing LB that is big enought o be arun stopping MLB. JUst my opinion though. I would be surprised if the Steelers do this but who knows.

There pretty much are no similarities between an outside 3-4 linebacker and a 4-3 middle linebacker. For Joey Porter to make that switch now, on the wrong side of 40, would be one of the more tretcherous decisions a front office could make.

There pretty much are no similarities between an outside 3-4 linebacker and a 4-3 middle linebacker. For Joey Porter to make that switch now, on the wrong side of 40, would be one of the more tretcherous decisions a front office could make.

How old is he? I thought he was late twenties early thirties at most. It could be an adjustment. It isn't like he is slow or not physical enough. I don't know I think he will make some team happy though.

We had Warrick Holdman last year. He would be a hell of an upgrade from him.

How old is he? I thought he was late twenties early thirties at most. It could be an adjustment. It isn't like he is slow or not physical enough. I don't know I think he will make some team happy though.

We had Warrick Holdman last year. He would be a hell of an upgrade from him.

I would think he would be an upgrade over Warrick Holdman, though even as a weakside linebacker Porter has still never played the position. Outside linebackers in 3-4 defenses are different animals and are pretty limited in their responsibilities.

What about Rocky McIntosh? What good would that pick be if he was suddenly behind a high-priced, aging veteran, who is converting positions late in his career?

Like I said, I hope this happens, though I realize that it hasn't been reported anywhere that the Redskins have any interest.

The only way I would want him is if he came cheap but that won't happen. Porter isn't that bad in coverage from what I have seen. His main thing is rushing the passer. I still think he could play MLB somewhat like Trotter does.

And when I said fire up Redskin one it is was kind of a joke. That is why I had the funny looking grin. Just seemed like the Redskin thing to say.:D

IF this happens I'm sure we will take some interest. I would rather have him then london Flecther. But then again he would be and aging over paid FA.

We don't have the cap room for another receiver or another bad seed. Sure we could "technically" afford him but that would just cut into the money allocated for the rest of the positions even further. We're better off rounding this team out than building the best receiving corp in the history of the world.

We don't have the cap room for another receiver or another bad seed. Sure we could "technically" afford him but that would just cut into the money allocated for the rest of the positions even further. We're better off rounding this team out than building the best receiving corp in the history of the world.

I would hope we would not sign Joey Porter as a wide receiver. worst. move. ever. :laugh:

The only way I would want him is if he came cheap but that won't happen. Porter isn't that bad in coverage from what I have seen. His main thing is rushing the passer. I still think he could play MLB somewhat like Trotter does.

And when I said fire up Redskin one it is was kind of a joke. That is why I had the funny looking grin. Just seemed like the Redskin thing to say.:D

IF this happens I'm sure we will take some interest. I would rather have him then london Flecther. But then again he would be and aging over paid FA.

Porter is barely ever even in coverage. Don't get me wrong, he's been productive for years now, but he isn't a complete player. There's more to playing MLB than size and Porter has never showed that he was capable of making the transition. I don't think Fletcher is too exciting of a player either, but at least he plays MLB.

When a guy has been with one franchise for 9 years and has stayed in the same position the entire time it's usually a safe assumption that he is playing where he belongs.

Porter is barely ever even in coverage. Don't get me wrong, he's been productive for years now, but he isn't a complete player. There's more to playing MLB than size and Porter has never showed that he was capable of making the transition. I don't think Fletcher is too exciting of a player either, but at least he plays MLB.

When a guy has been with one franchise for 9 years and has stayed in the same position the entire time it's usually a safe assumption that he is playing where he belongs.

Does Trotter cover? If he does he doesn't anyomre than Porter. IS theregame not similiar?

He will be pusued most by a 3-4 D like Dallas or New England. That is if he is released by June 1.

Does Trotter cover? If he does he doesn't anyomre than Porter. IS theregame not similiar?

He will be pusued most by a 3-4 D like Dallas or New England. That is if he is released by June 1.

First of all, Trotter isn't very good anymore. At this point I wouldn't use him as a reference for anyone you are defending.

Trotter is bad in coverage and was abused whenever put there this season. I actually don't doubt that Porter could do as well as Trotter in coverage, but I think that's the case for most any linebacker in football right now. As to whether Porter and Trotter's game are similar, the answer is a definitive "no." Porter plays in a 3-4, which means his pressure comes from the outside. On the outside he is free to use his strengths-- lateral speed and good instincts to the ball-- while playing in space. In a worst case scenario he is matched up against a tackle and is controlled easily. In a best case scenario the 3-4 does its job by disguising the 4th pass rusher and Joey Porter needs only beat a tight end or a RB to get to the QB. Trotter, on the other hand, plays in the middle of the field. From the MLB spot he uses his strengths --brute strength, reliable tackling, ability to occupy blockers-- to create havoc in the middle of a team's offense. As a best case scenario Trotter blows up both the team's center and lead blocker, allowing either himself or someone else to make a play on the ball. As a worst case scenario he overpursues the play, blowing up blockers who are no longer involved, and the play runs directly where he should have been for a long gain.

If Trotter played in Porter's spot his overpursuit would be an even bigger problem and he wouldn't have the speed to create any pressure on the QB. If Porter played in Trotter's spot he wouldn't be able to create pressure and make plays the way he has over the course of his career becaus ehe'd be unused to big bodies getting their hands on him before he gets a chance to run sideline-to-sideline.

Ultimately, I think Trotter and Porter's games have little to no relation to one another. Porter, I think, would make a miserable middle linebacker. If he were to sign somewhere else to play the same position he plays in Pittsburgh I think we'd see 2-3 more productive seasons from him.

Damn. You take this serious. I had some stuff to do so sorry it took so long to respond. I agree with a lot of what you are saying but I wasn't taking it this serious. JUst wanted to know what you thought. You bring up some good points though. You like to argue don't you? Can we agree on that? :)

I will say if Porter was cheap I would take him on my team no matter what position I put him in on D. Sometimes you change your D around to use someones strength. You could do that for Porter. It is unlikely he would go for cheap and that we would consider him so I guess this is pointless and I just thought I would bring up the topic of jim having a chance of being released.

In the 4-3 system are not 3-4 OLB ooked at as more comparable to a DE kinda like Andre Carter. I like Joey Porter but I wouldn't want to pay him to come over and play out of possition, especially not WR.

If he is released I can see him maybe going to the chargers but more likely the Pats because they are hurting baaad for LB help.

Archived