Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We should take a look at Al Wallace

blitzpackage

OK, so he's not a marquee name. But he was recently released by the Panthers where he played the last 5 seasons learning from two of the better DE's in the league in Peppers and Rucker. He's a consumate team player with a never ending motor.

Living in NC, I'm unfortunately forced to watch the Panthers every weekend and I've thought he was a great back-up for the last few years. He's probably a little weak against the run, but on third downs I'd trust him to get to the QB as well as the Daniels, Carter, and Wynn.

Anyway he is a very serviceable, young guy with flashes of dominance and we can probably get him cheap. He also took on a lot of special teams duty in Carolina. Anyone else seen him play much?

awmain(1).jpg

http://www.panthers.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=16968

Wallace is 29. He has some quickness and probably would have a better starting resume if he hadn't been stuck behind one of the better lines in the NFL over the past 3-4 years.

That said, he is at his best a situational player. I don't seem him as a two way player on the DL here in Washington. He is a guy you bring off the bench to rush the passer in long yardage situations or start for 2-3 games if a starter gets dinged.

The Panthers evidently don't want to now pay Wallace starter's money for his contributions in a part time role.

If I saw him as an every down player from Day 1 he would be worth more to this team.

We already have a lot of situational players on the DL. Carter is a rusher. Wynn is a run stopper. Salavea is now a bakckup DT and run stopper. Evans is a versatile 4 position DL who can start a few games if needed.

But what we really need is not another part-timer but one or preferably TWO blue chip talents to build with on the DL, guys that are going to be out there 40 snaps a game.

Good points, bulldog. He's stayed healthy his entire career and has great athleticism but you're right he is a stuational player. I guess it's wishful thinking that we'd pick him up and he'd become Simeon Rice, but we have to start getting to the QB somehow in 3rd and longs.

I got so sick of seeing our opponents convert 3rd and 12 this past year. And at this point I'd say he's a better player than Evans or Sykes. Though I do like Evans ability to play some DT as well.

I've watched Wallace too and he would be an interesting option. I figured the Panthers would try to get him back since Rucker had that knee injury last season. I know a lot of people are set on getting Adams, Anderson, or Branch at #6, but they really need to trade down and try to fill multiple holes on the Defense. If they combine the strategy of trading down with getting lower level free agents like Al Wallace they can get a lot of solid players on D without breaking the bank. If they go the option of signing 1 or 2 big names (Fletcher, Clements) to ovepriced deals and just basically relying on one first day pick to rebuild the Defense the Front Office will have shown they haven't learned anything.

I've watched Wallace too and he would be an interesting option. I figured the Panthers would try to get him back since Rucker had that knee injury last season. I know a lot of people are set on getting Adams, Anderson, or Branch at #6, but they really need to trade down and try to fill multiple holes on the Defense. If they combine the strategy of trading down with getting lower level free agents like Al Wallace they can get a lot of solid players on D without breaking the bank. If they go the option of signing 1 or 2 big names (Fletcher, Clements) to ovepriced deals and just basically relying on one first day pick to rebuild the Defense the Front Office will have shown they haven't learned anything.

Good points my NC brethren(BTW, I used to live in Kannapolis and work at Pillowtex before the lay-off). I was really surprised too that the Panthers released him considering a lot of people thought Rucker might retire after the injury so late in the season.

Yeah, I'm not big on signing those big-name free agents anymore. Call me jaded.

Wallace is 29. He has some quickness and probably would have a better starting resume if he hadn't been stuck behind one of the better lines in the NFL over the past 3-4 years.

I checked on the NFL website. Wallace is 33 and will turn 34 on March 25th. I would still give him a look but strictly as a cheap backup. I've checked the list of Free agent Defensive Ends and the best options I see that could start at Phillip Daniels position if he's not brought back would be either Bobby Mccray or Jared Allen. They will both be 26 when next season starts. Mccray is probably the better run Defender and Allen the better Pass rusher. Allen has had some DUI issues. Like Wallace neither of these guys are big names although we all remember Allen's 3 sack game against us two seasons ago when we played the Chiefs.

I would cut Daniels, Wynn, Evans, Salave'a for cap room. Draft Anderson, sign Wallace, London Fletcher, Rod Hood. I would also keep my eye on Kris Jenkins. If they cut him, I would snatch him in a minute. Put him next to Griffin with Anderson and Carter coming off the ends and we have the makings of a dominant line. Golston, Wallace, and a draft pick or another free agent backing them up would be fantastic. Daniels is solid but nothing special, same for Wynn, Evans is less than that, Salave'a is always hurt and one dimensional. Griffin, Montgomery(who no one talks about), Golston, add in Kris Jenkins and it is a good rotation. Carter, Anderson, Wallace, add in a free agent or lower draft pick, or even resigning Daniels for a lower price and we would be on the verge of dominant.

I checked on the NFL website. Wallace is 33 and will turn 34 on March 25th. I would still give him a look but strictly as a cheap backup. I've checked the list of Free agent Defensive Ends and the best options I see that could start at Phillip Daniels position if he's not brought back would be either Bobby Mccray or Jared Allen. They will both be 26 when next season starts. Mccray is probably the better run Defender and Allen the better Pass rusher. Allen has had some DUI issues. Like Wallace neither of these guys are big names although we all remember Allen's 3 sack game against us two seasons ago when we played the Chiefs.

I didn't know he was that old! Maybe it's not such a good idea considering I'm hoping for a youth movement on our defense. It's funny though, some places list him as only seven years in the league but he did play in Philthy and Chicago. He's basically the same age as Daniels and Wynn. Oh well.

I guess it doesn't detract from how good of a player he is now and was in Carolina but we just need to pray now that our FO has enough sense to get one of the big name DE's in the draft.

I always try to read all the posts before I comment, and I was going to point out that Wallace is not 29. I say no. We need to get younger. Let him catch on with a team that will make a playoff run next year.

And for the original thread stater, You don't HAVE to watch the Panthers all the time. Try DirectTV. Being in Rock Hill, I'd PUKE if I had to watch the ****cats all the time.

I would cut Daniels, Wynn, Evans, Salave'a for cap room. Draft Anderson, sign Wallace, London Fletcher, Rod Hood. I would also keep my eye on Kris Jenkins. If they cut him, I would snatch him in a minute. Put him next to Griffin with Anderson and Carter coming off the ends and we have the makings of a dominant line. Golston, Wallace, and a draft pick or another free agent backing them up would be fantastic. Daniels is solid but nothing special, same for Wynn, Evans is less than that, Salave'a is always hurt and one dimensional. Griffin, Montgomery(who no one talks about), Golston, add in Kris Jenkins and it is a good rotation. Carter, Anderson, Wallace, add in a free agent or lower draft pick, or even resigning Daniels for a lower price and we would be on the verge of dominant.

Cutting Evans isn't going to do much for the cap, we barely pay the guy. I like Daniels and Wynn but neither deserves their paychecks. Wallace is too old, we might as well keep Wynn/Daniels if we want him. Kris Jenkins has allegedly stated he hates the Redskins, and he would command a hefty price.

We need to sign FA's with their best football infront of them. Like we attempted to do last year with Carter/Lloyd.

I always try to read all the posts before I comment, and I was going to point out that Wallace is not 29. I say no. We need to get younger. Let him catch on with a team that will make a playoff run next year.

And for the original thread stater, You don't HAVE to watch the Panthers all the time. Try DirectTV. Being in Rock Hill, I'd PUKE if I had to watch the ****cats all the time.

I watched every Skins game this year in HD on DirecTV-I just always brought another TV in the living room to watch the Panthers for a NFL sensory overload. But up until last year it was painful to be forced to watch only the Cats. I don't care what anybody says, NC is Redskins country......

BTW, this is the link that threw me off. I just glanced at his NFL experience and it says 7 years. I didn't even notice his DOB. Probably the same page bulldog got.http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/4459

If we want relatively cheap and young we should be looking at Anthony Hargrove DE from Buffalo. I doubt they will be keeping him because of a personality conflict. The guy is in his mid twenties I believe and is talented - might need some coaching up and motivation but he could be a good bargain pick-up.

This would also enable us to go after a CB in FA as well AND draft Branch. Any move that prevents us from picking up Anderson or Branch in the draft in not worth doing, unless, of course, said draft move would maneuver us into a position that could land us a chance to get both Willis and Carriker if one were to drop in the early second round - which is probably not very likely.

Instead of Wallace what about Dewayne White from TB?

Dewayne White, DE, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

There's always a shortage of good, young pass rushers. It's why the Cincinnati Bengals gave Robert Geathers a five-year contract to keep him off the market. The Bucs haven't been as lucky with White, so he will likely be available.

A second-round pick in 2003, he spent most of his first three seasons being used as a situational rusher but took over as a starter late last season when Simeon Rice went down with an injury. He had five sacks and showed he had the speed off the edge. He has 14 sacks the past three seasons.

He turns 28 in October, so his best football is in front of him. Tampa Bay would love to keep him, particularly because Rice and Greg Spires are both over 30.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10007822/2

That what was said about him. He is 28, has a good amount of sacks in a short time and minimal playing time. I think he should def be brought in and Daniels should be let go.

Archived