Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An "Act of God"?

MRMADD

I honestly don't see us winning the division. I think the Eagles will do it if Macnabb stays healthy.

I couldn't agree more...McNabb was rolling when he got injured, and Westbrook getting the coaches' confidence in crunch time makes them that much more dangerous. Their defense should get better with Kearse coming back (even if he's nowhere near what he used to be, you still have to pay attention to him on 3rd down).

It was an act of God that made D. Green knock away that would be td pass that would have put Minn in the SB in '88. Remember how Gibbs dropped to his knees just before the snap, then bang, we were off to SD 10 seconds later.

That wouldn't have been a TD even if the receiver caught it...

This Thread is actually depressing. The skins in 17 years went from the best team in the league to now just being the best in the conference. I refuse to think we can't win it all.

Just two things ..... we need a tall possession reciever and A good defense....Ay Ideas

We're the best team in the NFC?

Wow man!

I must have missed that like the D. Green no play in the '88 NFC championship.:laugh:

I couldn't agree more...McNabb was rolling when he got injured, and Westbrook getting the coaches' confidence in crunch time makes them that much more dangerous. Their defense should get better with Kearse coming back (even if he's nowhere near what he used to be, you still have to pay attention to him on 3rd down).

Not so fast. He was rolling until game 5, and then they dropped 4 games and won 1. He was 5/5 when he got hurt.

if our defense stands up, then yes.if they decide to be like last years team, dallas could win the east...

The defense didn't decide to be bad last year. No one decides to not play well. The defense doesn't have the talent to be even average. No pass rush, one good LB, one good but injury prone CB, and a talented safety who goes for the big hit and is often out of position makes for a really bad defense. So, it's not a question of the defense "standing up." The real question is, what is the team going to do this year in free agency and the draft to fix it? Will it be enough to make it into at least an average defense this year? I doubt it. There are too many needs. Plus, we have some of the worst talent evaluators in football making decisions. That is reality. I don't know how another poster could call us the best team in the conference. We aren't even the third best team in our division.

All that adds up to an opportunity for the Skins. Everyone knows that the Eagles collapse in 2005 greatly helped the Skins make the playoffs. Will all these disruptions help the Skins squeak into the playoffs in 2007?

Not at all, the only thing that will get us into the playoffs is this team coming together and playing like they can and should. We shouldnt have to worry about other teams falling apart for us to win the division, this team has what it needs, all but a few positions on defense to be filled, to be able to earn the NFC East Title.

Just 3 or 4 good defensive players can turn our defense around, it doesnt need a total rebuild, but might end up rebuilding half, depending who we let go this year. A good LB, good tackle or end for a passrush, which make all the difference in any good defense, and another CB or safety since Preilou will be back. I think we already have a good shot with out other teams having to fold or fall apart.

Just 3 or 4 good defensive players can turn our defense around, it doesnt need a total rebuild. A good LB, good tackle or end for a passrush, which make all the difference in any good defense, and another CB or safety since Preilou will be back. I think we already have a good shot with out other teams having to fold or fall apart.

If we need "3 or 4 good defensive players", then we're in trouble. We'll almost certainly add one from the draft, but there's no guarantee that he'll play immediately. And we'll almost certainly add a couple free agents, but based on our track record one of them will be a bust. I don't see us adding four "good" defensive players.

And we've got a problem beyond the 11 starters: depth. The DL doesn't have the horses for a good rotation. I'm assuming we let Daniels and Wynn go, and Big Joe and Griffin are frequently injured. The linebackers are three deep. The secondary is thin too.

We aren't going to fix this defense just by adding new players. I think we do need a few of the guys on the roster now to step up. And we need some coaching changes.

We aren't going to fix this defense just by adding new players. I think we do need a few of the guys on the roster now to step up. And we need some coaching changes.

Thats what Im hoping for, Daniels was pretty good late 2005 season but moving him the other side got him lost somewhere and it wasnt in the opponents backfield. Thats a terrible thought rebuilding a defense that was top 10 the last 2 out of 3 seasons.

only 3 years old and have to fix something that wasnt broke because of not resigning proven players for a decent price but waisting millions on big names who end up on the bench :doh:

3 or 4 players? Who is going to pick them? If we sign 4 players, 2 will be washed up or not live up to their potential. So, we probably need to bring in 8 players to get 4 good ones.
Man I hope not, like mrmadd said, Im hoping some of the ones we have step it up. We was #30 last year so we cant too much worse then that.

All I know is that whenever the Giants appear to be in serious turmoil off the field, they suddenly start playing very well on the field.

That, and (with the exeption of maybe the past two years) the Redskins have been playing in a weak division for years and never seem to capitalize on it.

It's nice to look for silver lining but at this point I'd like to see something on the field before I get too optimistic.

I hope that our organization, players, and coaches are paying more attention to what's happening in-house than what's happening around the NFC East.

(okay, that said, new coach in dallass, reid out in philly, and the gmen in turmoil. Life is good :D )

Archived