Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monk's Best Chance for the Hall? Michael Irvin

radagast5

I'll be labeled a heretic for this, but if you want to get Art Monk into the Hall of Fame, and soon, Michael Irvin is your man.

There is a small cadre of writers who are not convinced that Monk deserves to be in the Hall. The only way we get Monk in is by *convincing* them that Monk should be there. This WILL NOT be accomplished by calling those writers stupid, by bombarding them with hate mail, or by otherwise making their lives miserable. In fact, the last thing we want to do is get Monk in simply by causing these writers duress.

The only way, IMO, you're going to convince these writers that #81 is a HOFer is to get enough big-name people, *qualified* people, to tell them that Monk is a HOF. In short: get high-profile players and coaches to support Monk. More than just those who appear in the excellent video piece that was assembled recently.

Michael Irvin, in this regard, is the perfect guy for the job.

1. He already supports Monk's induction.

2. He is as high-profile as it gets.

3. He's a loudmouth. He won't shut-up, and in this case that could be a good thing.

4. He is absolutely qualified to have an opinion on this that trumps every writer's opinion.

You want to campaign for Monk's induction, start by contacting as many former players and coaches as you can, getting them to go on record as to Monk's induction qualifications, and then present that list to the voting committee with the following question: What makes you think your opinion on Art Monk is more qualified than these people?

what needs to be done, is instead of people making these petitions against the sportswriters who do the voting, something needs to be done in regards to getting the NFL to change the voting structure. Sportwriters should not be involved at all in the process.

There needs to be a comittee of people that are made up of current and retired players and coaches.

what needs to be done, is instead of people making these petitions against the sportswriters who do the voting, something needs to be done in regards to getting the NFL to change the voting structure. Sportwriters should not be involved at all in the process.

There needs to be a comittee of people that are made up of current and retired players and coaches.

I agree.

I have said this so many times before, I think the window has closed on Monk ever getting in... I hope I am wrong but seeing Irvin get in before him is sick, next year it will be Reed...

:logo:

Darrell Green is already getting promoted by the media (if you wanna call Baldy that). :)

When asked, who stands out from the list below in his mind as being a shoe in to be inducted next year, B.Baldinger immediately chose Darrell Green. :applause:

T- Lomas Brown

WR- Cris Carter

LB- Bryan Cox

CB- Darrell Green

WR- Herman Moore

I agree.

I have said this so many times before, I think the window has closed on Monk ever getting in... I hope I am wrong but seeing Irvin get in before him is sick, next year it will be Reed...

:logo:

I do not think that could possibly validate putting Reed in before Monk.

I like your line of thinking, but I'm not sure that will ever happen. The NFL states that the reason writers and not players/coaches are allowed to choose inductees is because the Hall of Fame is supposed to be for the fans, and the writers (allegedly) better represent the fans than the players would.

Just curious, are any of the other three major sports respective Halls of Fame chosen by players? As far as I know, sportswriters rule the roost in all four halls.

jimster,You took the words right out of my mouth! I agree with your post 100%!

If Sports writers will withhold their vote because they get a hard time from fans,they don't deserve the right to vote! They should grow the same thick skin that they expect the players and coaches to have when slamming them in articles!

We already know that Tagliabue is being blocked because he could be "condescending" and was not "media friendly" to and with reporters. Fish hacks should have no role whatsoever in voting players into the Hall, they clearly have shown a willingness and a penchant for exercising their grudges in such votes, as such their vote should be removed. I'd reserve the vote for pro bowlers+coaches, and GM's from each era. That way the people who actually know who the best actually were, would control the voting. If guys who schemed against, played against, and drafted and acquired players to deal with guys such as Monk, say Monk isn't deserving, I could accept that. I certainly cannot accept guys that have no more business voting for this, then members of SAG, or the Longshoremen's Union, or blind jazz muscians having the deciding vote.

Anyone but players and coaches should be allowed to vote. No one can hold a grudge quite like an egomaniacal coach. I can imagine that no NFC East player would ever be enshrined with all the bad blood that those teams have for each other. No one would get in as every player roots for his buddy and backstabs his competition for throwing a stiff-arm in 1983 that he is still pissed off about. Monk will get in eventually, especially since Irvin got in.

I'll be labeled a heretic for this, but if you want to get Art Monk into the Hall of Fame, and soon, Michael Irvin is your man.

There is a small cadre of writers who are not convinced that Monk deserves to be in the Hall. The only way we get Monk in is by *convincing* them that Monk should be there. This WILL NOT be accomplished by calling those writers stupid, by bombarding them with hate mail, or by otherwise making their lives miserable. In fact, the last thing we want to do is get Monk in simply by causing these writers duress.

The only way, IMO, you're going to convince these writers that #81 is a HOFer is to get enough big-name people, *qualified* people, to tell them that Monk is a HOF. In short: get high-profile players and coaches to support Monk. More than just those who appear in the excellent video piece that was assembled recently.

Michael Irvin, in this regard, is the perfect guy for the job.

1. He already supports Monk's induction.

2. He is as high-profile as it gets.

3. He's a loudmouth. He won't shut-up, and in this case that could be a good thing.

4. He is absolutely qualified to have an opinion on this that trumps every writer's opinion.

You want to campaign for Monk's induction, start by contacting as many former players and coaches as you can, getting them to go on record as to Monk's induction qualifications, and then present that list to the voting committee with the following question: What makes you think your opinion on Art Monk is more qualified than these people?

Rad, you are right on target, as usual. Excellent post, excellent thread. Thanks

You know what gets to me? When I hear all these jackasses say Irvin was the "heart and soul" of the Cowpukes teams of the 90's. EMMITT SMITH was the REAL Heart and Soul. They don't win SQUAT without him. He played in a playoff game against the Giants with a separated shoulder. He literally beat them with one arm tied behind his back. Noone game planned to stop Crackhead. They gameplanned to stop Emmitt. This shows the lack of basic football knowledge of the HOF voters. Smith had over 160 yards rushing and had around 50 yards receiving in that game against NY.

Great idea about getting some support from HOFer's. I still think the system is broken. These writers are told to only evaluate the on the field credentials, but it's obvious they take other factors into play (ie. Monk & Tagliabue). Art was never a media darling and Tags was not a big fan of the media either. There needs to be a mix of writers, HOFer's, GM's & Coaches to make this fair. Putting this decision into the hands of 40 egomaniacal writers who (in their mind) can do no wrong is ridiculous!!

Archived