Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Questions for you natives about the D.C. area...

#98QBKiller

I have been through several stages of the hiring process for a D.C. organization and I have a very big interview coming up next Tuesday that will likely land me the job if I do well.

I've been to D.C. several times, but never with the intent to relocate, so I guess you could say I've had kind of a tourist state-of-mind.

Even if I don't get this job, I have applied to several others in the area and I am planning on relocating eventually, so any help from you locals would be greatly appreciated!!!

Here are a few questions I have:

Where are some good, surrounding neighborhoods/towns to live in that are less expensive to rent in than D.C., but are not too far of a commute?

Where are the bad neighborhoods that you tend to hear about in D.C.?

Is the metro a reliable source of transportation to/from work everyday or does is tend to be overly crowded?

Can you give me any other advice that you may have about the area or about relocation to the area?

I have been through several stages of the hiring process for a D.C. organization and I have a very big interview coming up next Tuesday that will likely land me the job if I do well.

I've been to D.C. several times, but never with the intent to relocate, so I guess you could say I've had kind of a tourist state-of-mind.

Even if I don't get this job, I have applied to several others in the area and I am planning on relocating eventually, so any help from you locals would be greatly appreciated!!!

Here are a few questions I have:

Where are some good, surrounding neighborhoods/towns to live in that are less expensive to rent in than D.C., but are not too far of a commute?

Where are the bad neighborhoods that you tend to hear about in D.C.?

Is the metro a reliable source of transportation to/from work everyday or does is tend to be overly crowded?

Can you give me any other advice that you may have about the area or about relocation to the area?

Lots of good surronunding neighborhoods. "Not too far of a commute" is a very relative term.

You dont want to live IN D.C. proper.

The Metro is pretty reliable, it gets crowded, but its not too bad.

If you are relocating and looking to rent, contact a realtor and they can help you narrow your search and basically largely take care of that problem for you so you can concentrate on other things. There are several on ES that im sure would be happy to help you out.

Lots of good surronunding neighborhoods. "Not too far of a commute" is a very relative term.

Well, I know there are places like Rockville & Annapolis, MD and Fairfax & Chantilly VA, but I also know that some of the surrounding areas can be nearly as expensive to rent in as D.C. itself.

Well, I know there are places like Rockville & Annapolis, MD and Fairfax & Chantilly VA, but I also know that some of the surrounding areas can be nearly as expensive to rent in as D.C. itself.

I know Northern Virginia extremely well. Not so much Maryland. You can definitely find affordable* housing in McLean, Vienna, Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria and further out in Centreville, Chantilly, Reston, etc.

Arlington is probably where you want to be if you are 25.

*Affordable is another VERY relative term.

First off, if your financial situation is one that will let you purchase property I recommend you do it and do it inside the city limits. You should avoid throwing away rent money if you can. I grew up in the suburbs and now I live inside the city lines. I live in Columbia Heights which is an up and coming neighborhood. It is a very good mix of cultures and types of people. it is convenient now to the green and red lines of the metro.

The safety of the neighborhood is a relative thing. I have been robbed in the suburbs and never bothered to date in the city. You don't want to live in South East DC but virtually any other quadrant is fine.

You will find more affordable housing on the Maryland side. Places like Silver Spring and Rockville are ultra convenient, a little less expensive and very very accessible to the metro.

If you are going to relocate to this area the best advice I can give you is to look around before you decide. Take some time, come up here and just drive the beltway. Fairfax is a world of difference from Rockville, Arlington is a world of difference from Bethesda. See the neighborhoods and decide which is right for you. A lot depends on where you will be working as well. If you work in the city try to live in the city. If you work in the suburbs try to live in the city. Living in the city gives you the ultimate in convenience.

If I were you I would look at apartments in Rosslyn, Clarendon, Ballston. Those are not cheap areas but you can walk to the metro and Georgetown. At 27 I wish I lived there and not hoodbridge. If those places are too expensive move a little further out to vienna/tysons/fairfax.

I don't know Maryland very well either so maybe someone can give advice about that.

Says the guy who lives in Bumble-**** Fairfax. :laugh: :nana:

You dont want to live IN D.C. proper.

That's not true at all - there are a lot of benefits of living in DC. Look for places on the Hill or around DuPont Circle (if you are "open minded" enough to handle that area). There are also a few up and coming neighborhoods in DC; I can't remember all of them, but I believe Cleveland Park is becoming a cool place to live. However I'm no expert on DC, but I do know several people that live there and I could ask them if you were interested. PM me with price range and I'll let you know if its feasible or not.

I would say look in the Arlington area - Clarendon, Ballston and Rosslyn are walking distance to metro stations, Shirlington and Fairlington have tons of busses that go directly to Pentagon. Clarendon, Rosslyn, Ballston and Shirlington are areas where you'll be able to find an apartment pretty easily. Fairlington is more townhouses, and better if you find some roommates.

Another area to consider is Park Fairfax in Alexandria - busses go straight to Pentagon, and its more affordable than Fairlington. Its walking distance to Shirlington and the bars there, and a short ($7~10) cab ride to Pentagon City Metro to go out to other areas.

First off, if your financial situation is one that will let you purchase property I recommend you do it and do it inside the city limits. You should avoid throwing away rent money if you can.

Buying is definitely a smart decision (recently bought my first home), but renting is definitely not "throwing money away." You are getting something in return for your money, and you don't have to worry about fixing major problems.

Says the guy who lives in Bumble-**** Fairfax. :laugh: :nana:

Yeah, but i live on top of a Metro station, so its the best of both worlds.

That's not true at all - there are a lot of benefits of living in DC. Look for places on the Hill or around DuPont Circle (if you are "open minded" enough to handle that area). There are also a few up and coming neighborhoods in DC; I can't remember all of them, but I believe Cleveland Park is becoming a cool place to live. However I'm no expert on DC, but I do know several people that live there and I could ask them if you were interested. PM me with price range and I'll let you know if its feasible or not.

I would say look in the Arlington area - Clarendon, Ballston and Rosslyn are walking distance to metro stations, Shirlington and Fairlington have tons of busses that go directly to Pentagon. Clarendon, Rosslyn, Ballston and Shirlington are areas where you'll be able to find an apartment pretty easily. Fairlington is more townhouses, and better if you find some roommates.

Another area to consider is Park Fairfax in Alexandria - busses go straight to Pentagon, and its more affordable than Fairlington. Its walking distance to Shirlington and the bars there, and a short ($7~10) cab ride to Pentagon City Metro to go out to other areas.

OK, expert. You find him a place on the Hill that he can afford in a new job, at 25, on a single income. It pretty clear he is somewhat worried about affordability. Cleveland Park is somewhat cheaper b/c it borders Anacostia, which i guess is a benefit if you like crack.

OK, expert. You find him a place on the Hill that he can afford in a new job, at 25, on a single income. It pretty clear he is somewhat worried about affordability. Cleveland Park is somewhat cheaper b/c it borders Anacostia, which i guess is a benefit if you like crack.

Cleveland Park is off Connecticut Avenue. It is by the zoo.

From the Maryland point of view, stay away from PG County, Bethesda and Rockville area are your best bet in Maryland. Or if you wouldn't mind living out a little further, Arundel County is a nice place to live, but there are some expensive areas.

The Rosslyn-Ballston-Arlington area is definitely a good place to be if you are young, always something to do and a short metro or cab ride to DC.

Just ribbin' ya dude!! ;)

I said I wasn't an expert...this is just based on people I know who live there, and don't make tons of money.

Cleveland Park is off Connecticut Avenue. It is by the zoo.

Yeah - Cleveland Park is on the opposite side of DC - North West. Anacostia is South East.

I have lived in Alexandria for 3 years now and it has served me well. This place I rent my townhouse is called Orleans Village and is ran by a company called home properties. It's an ok place to live and decently affordable. Bus lines go straight to the pentagon where you can catch the metro rail lines (yellow and blue) to take you into DC.

I would have to say stay far away anywhere near South and North East DC unless you want to get mugged, become a crack dealer or get shot. Also there are some REAL shady parts of Maryland to stay out of (Oxon Hill, Capitol Heights, Suitland). If you are looking to Maryland, I would probably look at Rockville or even Gaithersburg (it's a little further out but less expensive). But all together, from what I've seen since I've been here, Virginia is probably your best bet, as far as living conditions goes. It will be a little more costly to live in VA, but it's worth it. What are you looking at forking up in rent each month?

If you are looking to Maryland, I would probably look at Rockville or even Gaithersburg (it's a little further out but less expensive).

The problem with the 270-corridor (Rockville, Gaithersburg, etc.) is the commute. 270 is a parking lot going into DC in the morning, and an even slower parking lot leaving DC in the evenings.

You know, my father owns like 5 rental properties in the arlington area, i COULD see if any are or will become available anytime soon, if you want.

And he does not charge ungodly amounts of money per month.

I lived in arlington all my life, and it was cool and all, but it got way to congested for my taste the last few years i was there. so i moved down to Waldorf MD (Charles County) The house i bought down here 2 years ago, went for 300k, the same house in arlington was going for 750k +! And not on a tiny lot either, found a ½ acre lot, any lot that big in arlington (rare) would of pushed the price up even futher than 750k. Any way you slice it NOVA is expensive as hell now. Its only affordable if you have a high paying job, like a lawyer, or owning your own business or something IMHO.

As far as a commute to nova or dc goes, it only takes my about 40 mins to get to arlington and springfield in the mornings driving. With no traffic it takes me 30 mins. There are a couple of metro stations close that arent that far of a drive, but they are on the green line, closest is branch ave http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

But like i said i lived in arlington for almost 33 years of the 36 ive been alive, im very happy where i am now, its really quiet at night , cant say the same for arlington anymore.

GL whereever you decide to move to!

I have lived in Alexandria for 3 years now and it has served me well. This place I rent my townhouse is called Orleans Village and is ran by a company called home properties. It's an ok place to live and decently affordable. Bus lines go straight to the pentagon where you can catch the metro rail lines (yellow and blue) to take you into DC.

I would have to say stay far away anywhere near South and North East DC unless you want to get mugged, become a crack dealer or get shot. Also there are some REAL shady parts of Maryland to stay out of (Oxon Hill, Capitol Heights, Suitland). If you are looking to Maryland, I would probably look at Rockville or even Gaithersburg (it's a little further out but less expensive). But all together, from what I've seen since I've been here, Virginia is probably your best bet, as far as living conditions goes. It will be a little more costly to live in VA, but it's worth it. What are you looking at forking up in rent each month?

I would ignore statements like this. You will hear a lot of stuff like this from people who live in the North VA area and have a perception of “south east” and “north east” but really don’t know. There are plenty of awful neighborhoods in both those parts of the cities (lots) but there are also a lot of fine places to live if you are looking for affordable, safe and convenient housing.

I am a white, young male and I live in Northeast. I live north of Lincoln Park right around 13th ST and Dst NE. All is fine. I rent a 3 bedroom house for about the same price as a 1 bedroom apartment in VA and split it three ways with my roommates. The amount I have ended up saving compared to living in North VA, Gtown, Northwest is over $7,500 a year. I live half a mile from the metro and have a bus stop outside my house.

It takes me 20 mins to walk to the Capital and roughly 30 mins to travel (bus or train w/walking time) to work in downtown on K street.

I have yet to be shot or mugged and have not become addicted to crack yet.

I love that people have that perception of this half of the city. I like it because, let other people waste their hard earned money

I am 23 live and live “on the hill” - 10 blocks East from the Capital - and pay the same price for a 3 bedroom house that many people pay for a 1 bedroom apartment in VA (then we split that price 3 ways!). There are TONS of cheap places – you just have to look.

Guess I am an expert!

I am 23 live and live “on the hill” - 10 blocks East from the Capital - and pay the same price for a 3 bedroom house that many people pay for a 1 bedroom apartment in VA (then we split that price 3 ways!). There are TONS of cheap places – you just have to look.

Guess I am an expert!

How much is the total rent?

How much is the total rent?

1,500 - split 3 ways ($500 each). Each with our own room, one room is a lot smaller than the others so that person pays a little less. Utilities not included, so probably another $75 each a month. Overall, not bad at all.

Guess I am an expert!

I know exactly what area your talking about, it has gone through a revival. My grandfather lived there when he was younger. It has become a nicer area, but you have that border before the Sousa Bridge where things start to look shady.

I know exactly what area your talking about, it has gone through a revival. My grandfather lived there when he was younger. It has become a nicer area, but you have that border before the Sousa Bridge where things start to look shady.

I live about 2 blocks north of Lincoln Park (AMAZING park! Filled with people at all times). I live basically right off of Constitution and 13th St, NE.

If I was going to give advice to the 25 year old me who was moving to D.C. I would say definately live in town. No need to learn the roads or even own a car. Walk to shops, bars and restaurants. D.C. is certainly a more friendly city than it was 15 years back when I was 25 so there are more "good" areas in which to live. My target area would be around the "U" Street area, but West of 13th Street, lots of things to do within walking distance, and right on a Metro line. The 'burbs are for us old guys.

I live about 2 blocks north of Lincoln Park (AMAZING park! Filled with people at all times). I live basically right off of Constitution and 13th St, NE.

You're right, that is an up and coming neighborhood. Just imagine how nice it'll be once the stadium goes up and they remodel around the Anacostia. It will be like the area around the Verizon Center soon enough.

Archived