Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Questions for you natives about the D.C. area...

#98QBKiller

You're right, that is an up and coming neighborhood. Just imagine how nice it'll be once the stadium goes up and they remodel around the Anacostia. It will be like the area around the Verizon Center soon enough.

Yea – I can literally see it changing in front of my eyes. Houses are all being reworked on right around me. I hope it does not become too nice and my rent goes up too much!

During baseball season last year I was able to walk to games all the time on the weekends. It is a 25 minute walk and is really safe at day time and early evening.

My particular area is probably not the best for a single young woman, but overall it is as safe as you can except from a major US city.

Yea – I can literally see it changing in front of my eyes. Houses are all being reworked on right around me. I hope it does not become too nice and my rent goes up too much!

During baseball season last year I was able to walk to games all the time on the weekends. It is a 25 minute walk and is really safe at day time and early evening.

My particular area is probably not the best for a single young woman, but overall it is as safe as you can except from a major US city.

After looking at the map, I know EXACTLY which area because I drove through it on my way to Galludet for a tournament. It's got that nice, classic look I like, it's going to be a top area soon enough. If this guy feels adventurous, he should probably take a look at it, there are alot of places to go to around there, and it's reviving itself into a top area once again.

Here is a good guide to look at to see what's to do around Capitol Hill:

http://www.capitolhillmap.com/welcome.asp

I would ignore statements like this. You will hear a lot of stuff like this from people who live in the North VA area and have a perception of “south east” and “north east” but really don’t know. There are plenty of awful neighborhoods in both those parts of the cities (lots) but there are also a lot of fine places to live if you are looking for affordable, safe and convenient housing.

I am a white, young male and I live in Northeast. I live north of Lincoln Park right around 13th ST and Dst NE. All is fine. I rent a 3 bedroom house for about the same price as a 1 bedroom apartment in VA and split it three ways with my roommates. The amount I have ended up saving compared to living in North VA, Gtown, Northwest is over $7,500 a year. I live half a mile from the metro and have a bus stop outside my house.

It takes me 20 mins to walk to the Capital and roughly 30 mins to travel (bus or train w/walking time) to work in downtown on K street.

I have yet to be shot or mugged and have not become addicted to crack yet.

I love that people have that perception of this half of the city. I like it because, let other people waste their hard earned money

This is the kind of thing I am looking to get from local perspectives on D.C. I've researched D.C. and some of the surrounding areas and most books and articles can tell me that northeast and souteast D.C. are not great places to live, but these books and articles never mention the safe, affordable and convenient housing like where you reside.

I'm going to PM a few of you about my situation.

Also, does anyone know what percentage of your income goes toward taxes if you work in the District?

I google it, and this is what I found:

in 2002 the poorest twenty percent of D.C. paid onaverage of 8.7 percent of their income in D.C. taxes, while middle-income D.C. residentspaid 11.6 percent of their in-come and the very wealthiest 1percent of D.C. residents paidjust 6.3 percent of their incomein D.C. taxes

http://www.itepnet.org/dctest0305.pdf

I google it, and this is what I found:

in 2002 the poorest twenty percent of D.C. paid onaverage of 8.7 percent of their income in D.C. taxes, while middle-income D.C. residentspaid 11.6 percent of their in-come and the very wealthiest 1percent of D.C. residents paidjust 6.3 percent of their incomein D.C. taxes

http://www.itepnet.org/dctest0305.pdf

Great link. I guess I could've googled it myself huh? :)

This is the kind of thing I am looking to get from local perspectives on D.C. I've researched D.C. and some of the surrounding areas and most books and articles can tell me that northeast and souteast D.C. are not great places to live, but these books and articles never mention the safe, affordable and convenient housing like where you reside.

I'm going to PM a few of you about my situation.

The problem with those books and articles is their anitquated stance. Northeast is a tremendous neighborhood. There is a real rennaisance going on in DC right now. Investors are taking houses that were burned during the riots or neglected over time and turning them into Gems. Check out the U street area as well. It has undergone a great revitilization in the past five years. it can get pricey though. Duckus is right on. You will get more space for less bucks in the city. And if you are going to work in the city, be in the city. Even the closest outskirts can take forever to get to and from.

The area of SE and Ne they are talking about should in a way be called South Central and North Central, because then it would not live up to the name that the rest of NE and SE goes by. The further east you go away from the Capitol Building the worse it gets, but where Duckus is talking about is a nice part of the city. It's kind of weird how the city is divided up and that as soon as you see a NE or SE beside the street sign you automatically think of the slums, but it is the rest of NE and SE that makes you think that way.

The same could not go for SW and especially NW, as those are very nice places to live and I really have never come across a bad part in those areas. Of course you will pay out the nose for places in NW, but that is just because most of the diplomats, political figures and lawyers live. Houses in NW usually don't go for less the 1 mill.

Oh hey, QBKiller, if you need a alarm when you move here, get in touch with me :) Most of our systems are in NOVA and DC, we have over 25 years of expierence, we mainly use GE and ITI systems, but can get just about anything.

Or if you want, contact my boss directly 703 913 2773(home office)

703 499 3719 (cell) tell him jeff sent ya :)

We also have add here in the "ExtremeSkins Member Services Network "

The problem with those books and articles is their anitquated stance. Northeast is a tremendous neighborhood. There is a real rennaisance going on in DC right now. Investors are taking houses that were burned during the riots or neglected over time and turning them into Gems. Check out the U street area as well. It has undergone a great revitilization in the past five years. it can get pricey though. Duckus is right on. You will get more space for less bucks in the city. And if you are going to work in the city, be in the city. Even the closest outskirts can take forever to get to and from.

I guess I just assumed that living in the city was automatically more expensive than residing in the suburbs or the surrounding areas. I like what I'm hearing about investors fixing up places and trying to make the city a better place. It's hard to not want to be a part of something like that.

I guess I just assumed that living in the city was automatically more expensive than residing in the suburbs or the surrounding areas. I like what I'm hearing about investors fixing up places and trying to make the city a better place. It's hard to not want to be a part of something like that.

It's unbelievable how much DC has progressed in the past couple years. If you can buy a property there, it will rise quickly once the stadium goes up. So it's a good investment to make. Just drive throught the area next time you're up here.

Since your only 25, I would suggest living in the city. If you dont see yourself living in DC, then Clarendon for VA or Bethesda for MD are your best options. Tons of young people in both and plenty of bars and restaurants to meet people.

Definetly come check the area out before you sign any lease.

Why does everyone hate on SE?

I grew up on Capitol Hill in SE and never had any problems. I grew up around friendly neighbors and never got into any trouble. I walked home from school every day and never got mugged or abducted or anything. Sure I got hassled a few times, but those were kids my age. Show me a neighborhood where kids don't hassle each other, and I'll buy you a beer.

Bonus: I could hear the RFK crowd noise from my window on game days and the team buses would roll by my street corner. I didn't chase them like Santana Moss chased the Dolphins Bus...I guess that's why I'm not as fast as him!

So to conclude, If you don't want to live in the City, that is your prerogative, but you should be able to gauge the safety of any neighborhood by simply touring that neighborhood. If you don't like what you see, don't live there.

DC is one of the few areas that this is happening in. If you look at a map of DC you will see that it is basically a square with the river running through it. It is bordered on three sides by popular, trendy, nice and EXPENSIVE areas. I speak of Bethesda, Arlington and to some extent Potomac. On the other hand you have the side that is bordered by PG County. You could live in college park if you wanted to hang on to the glory days a bit longer.

The alternative is gentrifying areas like Columbia Heights, Mt Pleasant, Petworth, Shaw and U street. You can find a lot of great basement appartments that are spacious and if you are willing to live in a community house you can find some great ones. The ideal situation is to find a roomate or three and get a group house. I did that when I was 25-28 and it was the best. Check Craigslist. I always find a lot of great deals on there.

This one for example, if you find a roomate you only pay about 750.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/apa/267274246.html

Archived