Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Value Chart

FuriousD

New England has 2 #1's. We can get one of theirs and a second if Calvin Johnson is still on the board.:helmet: :helmet: :helmet:

You really think NE gives a **** about drafting a guy like CJ? One look at the way they run that organization and the type of players they like to collect should convince you otherwise. They'd much rather have 3 mediocre-to-good players than 1 allstar, and they would never consider trading up for our pick. We could learn a lot from them.

BTW, as per my previous thread on trading down, please see my cursory attempt at a chart of picks to be acquired by the Skins as the result of a trade down.

http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=redskins2007drafttradevey3.jpg

Ok, this is my last plug for my chart. Sorry.

The thing is, the 3rd in 2008 has about the same value as the 4th in 2007. You've got to discount the value of future picks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, any charting of this type displays the MINIMUM you'd accept in trade.

New England has 2 #1's. We can get one of theirs and a second if Calvin Johnson is still on the board.:helmet: :helmet: :helmet:

You gotta remember, New England doesn't typically make the big aquisitions. Because of their success, they don't draft high, nor do they make an effort to. Though, with CJ on the board, and them in a dire need of a WR, who knows. I'd personaly think very hard about that trade, even though it seems far from New England like.

The thing is, the 3rd in 2008 has about the same value as the 4th in 2007. You've got to discount the value of future picks.

Is that the way it usually works? I ask because I really don't know. I've been trying to figure out what goes on in the back rooms and how the terms of trades are decided.

Do you have any links to any articles that explain this better?

BTW, any charting of this type displays the MINIMUM you'd accept in trade.

I tried to map out reasonable trades based on the point system. I don't want to hope for a best case scenario that may not be realistic.

I'd like to see us do this. It seems like a lot, but well...

Trade #6 (1600) for #13(1,150) + #45(450) from StL

then

Trade #13(1,150) + 6th Rounder(~20) for #21(800) + #53(370) from Den

That would leave us with the

#21 - Patrick Willis

#45 - Best DE/DT (Woodley, McDonald)

#53 - Josh Wilson

I'd like to see us do this. It seems like a lot, but well...

Trade #6 (1600) for #13(1,150) + #45(450) from StL

then

Trade #13(1,150) + 6th Rounder(~20) for #21(800) + #53(370) from Den

That would leave us with the

#21 - Patrick Willis

#45 - Best DE/DT (Woodley, McDonald)

#53 - Josh Wilson

This is interesting. Who do you think STL would be targeting at 6, and who would DEN be targeting at 21?

Is that the way it usually works? I ask because I really don't know. I've been trying to figure out what goes on in the back rooms and how the terms of trades are decided.

Do you have any links to any articles that explain this better?

When I've seen someone trade a pick next year for a pick this year, its usually something like a next years 1 for this years 2 or next years 2 for this years 3 (for example, Cooley). Wasn't the Cambell trade basically our 2005 #2 and our 2006 #1? The discount rate for various future draft choices would vary from team to team. Good teams, at least from the aspect of how the team sees itself, tend (not always, though) to discount future picks very highly while bad teams generally discount them very little.

No, there are no links I'm aware of that explains this any better.

When I've seen someone trade a pick next year for a pick this year, its usually something like a next years 1 for this years 2 or next years 2 for this years 3 (for example, Cooley). Wasn't the Cambell trade basically our 2005 #2 and our 2006 #1? The discount rate for various future draft choices would vary from team to team. Good teams, at least from the aspect of how the team sees itself, tend (not always, though) to discount future picks very highly while bad teams generally discount them very little.

No, there are no links I'm aware of that explains this any better.

For future picks, its typical to take the worst possible value for the pick(i.e. you assume the team you are trading with wins the Superbowl and picks last)

For future picks, its typical to take the worst possible value for the pick(i.e. you assume the team you are trading with wins the Superbowl and picks last)

No, the 32nd pick in this years draft is more valuable than the 32nd pick in next years draft. Further, there are additional complications like you've got to get in front of someone who will take the guy you want and your trading partner will ALWAYS want more value than he's giving up. Its basic economics. Interestingly, one of the best sources to understanding draft trades in the NFL is Human Action.

No, the 32nd pick in this years draft is more valuable than the 32nd pick in next years draft.

This is a straw man, it's an impossible trade to make. You cannot trade the 32nd pick this year and guarantee that the pick next year will also be the 32nd. I'm sure you could find quite a few teams willing to give up the 32nd pick in any draft for the possibility of getting the 1st overall in the next draft.

Now the odds are that you won't give up the 1st pick or the 32nd pick and it will be somewhere inbetween, but the prospect of a higher pick than what you gave up is where the extra value element comes in that you mentioned.

For all you guys and gals hoping to trade the #6 pick.

http://draftcountdown.com/features/valuechart.html

Btw, I love to see it traded too.

The Rams at #13 in the first and #45 in the second is a perfect fit at 1600 points.

Here is the answer to that! :thumbsup:

Rams | Team looking to improve run defense for 2007

Sat, 20 Jan 2007 12:55:09 -0800

Nick Wagoner, of StLouisRams.com, reports the St. Louis Rams are looking to improve their run defense for the 2007 season. The Rams ranked 31st in the NFL against the run last season, making a bid body with experience and run-stuffing ability a priority for the team this offseason. Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said, "We did well the last three weeks, but in order to play really well in this league you have to stop the run. We have two issues here on that. We didn't play well and when the offense cranks it up like they did at the end of the season, teams want to run the ball to keep the offense off the field and run the ball because it can be effective. That's one issue we are going to have to address. We have to do a better job on the run next year."

Archived