Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chargers - Pats game --a question...

Ellis

4th quarter, last drive...

Chargers get a big play down to the 35 yard line. Makes it first down.

They get to the line of scrimmage to spike the ball and make the clock stop. second down.

Now they go for a field goal and miss.

They lose possession of the Ball?

WTF?

Am I missing a rule here?

If they go for a field goal and miss, don't they get another chance on a new down?

After the missed field goal, it would've been 3rd down, right?

So... the main question I'm asking is... if you attempt a field goal and miss, regardless of what down you're on, does that automatically give the possession of the ball to the other team?

I looked up the rule of field goals... here it is...

1. All field goals attempted (kicker) and missed from beyond the 20-yard line will result in the defensive team taking possession of the ball at the spot of the kick. On any field goal attempted and missed where the spot of the kick is on or inside the 20-yard line, ball will revert to defensive team at the 20-yard line.

I was completely unaware of this rule... I've always assumed that a missed goal on 4th down gave the ball to defensive team purely because the offensive team was out of downs.

4th quarter, last drive...

Chargers get a big play down to the 35 yard line. Makes it first down.

They get to the line of scrimmage to spike the ball and make the clock stop. second down.

Now they go for a field goal and miss.

They lose possession of the Ball?

WTF?

Am I missing a rule here?

If they go for a field goal and miss, don't they get another chance on a new down?

After the missed field goal, it would've been 3rd down, right?

So... the main question I'm asking is... if you attempt a field goal and miss, regardless of what down you're on, does that automatically give the possession of the ball to the other team?

Once you kick the ball, you lose possession.

Archived