Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ipod trouble (updated...not that anyone cares)

Spaceman Spiff

Happened to me once, it was an easy fix.

Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

It reboots the software and clears up the problem.

exactly just reboot the software... The reason the IPOD memory gets coorupted is when you disconnect your ipod from your PC/CAR/Player without shutting it down or stopping it first...

I've found that at times it can not be reset from a PC. I have to go to the Apple store at Tyson's and get them to reset it from a MAC...

I love the IPOD. Podcasts are excellent.

when your Ipod is connected to your pc you can browse it from the Microsoft disk explorer... right click start-> select explore -> at the C: level look for your ipod

Once their you can just remove files which you've added which you are currently seeing as other.

That's great. Thanks.

Ipods suck, can't believe people still by them with the zune out now.

Anything apple sucks for that matter.

Disagree. I've had a macbookpro for about 6 months now after my old one crapped out (I dropped it, my own damn fault), it has never crashed, it has never frozen, it takes about 20 seconds to start and load everything up. Everything runs smoothly.

Tell me this: If everything apple sucks, why is the new windows vista almost a blatant ripoff of mac osx?

My son likes the thing, now that we have it working properly, but man, what a pain in the ass. If I had it to do over again I wold have gotten him something else for Christmas

yep I love mine when it works and when it doesn't it's a pain. I've had mine in the shop several times... ( take it up to the appble store for free, reformating ).

What I've found is you have to be very careful about how you disconnect your Ipod from devices.. ( care, pc etc.. )... Be sure to eject it first. Don't disconnect it when it says not too or it becomes very grumpy.. Since I've taken the extra care, I havn't had any problems...

love the music, and especially love the books on tape... don't know how I ever lived without it..

Disagree. I've had a macbookpro for about 6 months now after my old one crapped out (I dropped it, my own damn fault), it has never crashed, it has never frozen, it takes about 20 seconds to start and load everything up. Everything runs smoothly.

Tell me this: If everything apple sucks, why is the new windows vista almost a blatant ripoff of mac osx?

I think every manufacturer makes some really good products and others not so much. Mac laptops are great, we use a lot of them here at work and they don't seem to have many problems and run for years. Same with their desktops. Over the last several years, including the one I owned, I have seen a lot of Ipod issues.

I think every manufacturer makes some really good products and others not so much. Mac laptops are great, we use a lot of them here at work and they don't seem to have many problems and run for years. Same with their desktops. Over the last several years, including the one I owned, I have seen a lot of Ipod issues.

Yeah, this is the first time I've had an ipod issue.

But to say that everything apple makes sucks is flat out ignorant.

have you ever seen the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley"? you'd have a very good understanding of why they steal.

Haven't even heard of it, no.

Why do they steal?

Pirates of Silicon Valley is a great flick, came out several years ago. Noah Wylie as Steve Jobs, Anthony Michael Hall as Bill Gates. You can find it online I believe. Actually, you can watch it in pieces on Youtube here.

http://viralvids.web-log.nl/viralvids/2007/01/pirates_of_sili.html

Edit... actually, go here, and download the video ipod/sony psp version. If you do the Mac/Windows version they give you a file that plays in a goofy Google player, the other version is just a MP4 file that plays in quicktime.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7941901498664355924&q=pirates+of+silicon+valley

1) I've never had a problem with battery death.

2) You can actually replace the battery, it's just not simple.

3) Don't be THAT guy. You know, that guy who decided he's going to hate on something trendy just because he thinks its cool to be anti-establishment. It's very high school.

Yea, the current generation iPod is awesome on battery. I've had mine for over a year and use it everyday I'm on campus of Penn State - like 5 hours a day. Can't tell any difference of when I first bought it.

That was exactly what I did when mine, for some reasons, refused to turn off. Still works fine.

Yea, if it doesn't turn off, let it die then recharge. Happened 2-3 times to me, but besides that works fine.

Not to hijack, but I have noticed on my Ipod I now have over one gig of "other" on there, and I have no idea what it is.

Any ideas? And how can I get rid of it?

The actual setup of the iPod, the software that makes it run takes up a certain amount - could be as much as a gig, not sure.

Maybe it's just the album art?

Maybe, but those album covers are usually in low resolution/low in size. That'd be a hellova lot of covers; remember that even though there may be ~10 songs on an album, those ten share one photo. Haha, sorry, maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

But annnyways....

I know from my own, only a fraction of the songs actually have loaded an album cover.

Maybe, but those album covers are usually in low resolution/low in size. That'd be a hellova lot of covers; remember that even though there may be ~10 songs on an album, those ten share one photo. Haha, sorry, maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

But annnyways....

I know from my own, only a fraction of the songs actually have loaded an album cover.

I just plugged my ipod into my MBP because I'm curious now. I only have 1500 songs on my iPod, and the "Other" is listed as 170MB. Figure 10 songs/album, 150 songs, the album art would have to be 1MB a pop to cover it, and that would be a stretch. Hmm...

• 2 weeks later...
Next time I want the opinion of a 17 year old, I'll ask for one ;)

JK dude, all in good fun.

'sall good :cheers:

seriously, though, my sansa (cheaper than an Ipod) is awesome. it's got a voice-recorder, you can put videos on it, it has a micro sd expansion slot to add to the memory, and the batteries are easily replaceable

Archived