Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

we need to rebuild

tonyriggins

You're right, we should draft a QB in the first round and...

oh hang on..

what exactly did the Titans DO besides get lucky enough to have Vince Young fall in their laps, and THEN get lucky enough that he was able to perform at this level as a rookie? I mean, maybe I'm wrong o nthis, but rookie QBs generally perform more like Matt Leinart has. Performances from rookie QBS like Young has turned in happen once in a great long while.

Remember back in August when they signed Kerry Collins halfway thru the preseason... and he ended up their week one starter? What a great move! Maybe we should do that!

Maybe we could utterly destroy our cap like they did and force ourselves to get rid of the QB who is about to lead Baltimore to a possible Super Bowl.

Oh wait,, i think I know what they did that we need to do.

They bent over and kissed their ass for good luck, and it worked.

Reality calling!

~Bang

:laugh: :applause: :applause:

marcuii was doing well until 2002 but than their idiot owner john york fired him and brought in dennis erickson, bad decision and did not inform their GM but just recently they also fired terry donahue. York finally hired a GM and since mike nolan has gotten there, they have built the draft and gotten alot from it.. it takes time to build when u select alex smith.. they have a great rbs in frank gore and i thhink they now have 40 mil to spend in free agency

I know it wont happen, Sndyer dont want a GM. Its the only way this team can win again. Of course Gibbs dont want a GM, if he rebuilt Gibbs would be gone, fired.

They won last year? It is not difficult man. This league is up and down.

The Steelers won the super bowl and finished out of the playoffs.

The thing that makes teams consistent is a franchise QB and good defense.

Our defense dropped this year and hopefully Campbell is a franchise QB.

Every team makes mistakes.

How about those 49ers that have a better record then the Skins.The 49ers are going up in there record we are going down.So i don't know how you can talk **** about a team that had a better record.:doh:

First of all, the argument was that the 49ers have been improving since letting Vinny go...the fact that they've been 20-44 over the past four years pretty much blows that argument out of the water.

Secondly, 7-9 sucks JUST as bad as 5-11...so you're damn right I can talk **** about a 7-9 team. Two more wins doesn't suddenly make you untouchable lol... :doh:

the fallacy is that you can't build a team solely on #1 draft picks and free agents.

some of the best value picks in the draft are found in rounds 2-4, where often you can find players that turn out to be contributors and you get them with a very modest signing bonus for 3-4 years.

these are exactly the picks the Redskins have dealt way as if they were worthless in the Lloyd and Duckett deals.

I am still trying to understand how the Redskins could be convinced to trade a 27 year old three time pro bowler in Champ Bailey to the Broncos for Portis AND still have to give up a #2 draft choice!

Bailey plays a MUCH harder position to play in the NFL and was the #7 overall pick in the 1999 draft.

Meanwhile, Portis was a second round pick in 2002.

So, we in essence dealt a #7 overall pick (and current pro bowler) PLUS a high #2 pick (Redskins finished 5-11 in 2003) for a player in Portis that cost the Broncos only a mid-#2 pick.

That's not value. No wonder why Denver loves trading with the Redskins, we always give them more than anyone else will.

On the open market, Portis garners a #1 pick or a high #2 pick as a straight trade.

The Redskins found a way to give up a player that was probably worth a #1 AND a #2 pick....................AND an additional #2 to make the deal.

Again, poor value shopping.

At this point (in all seriousness) I'm wondering that if we continue to chart this current course (which we'll refer to herein at the "Snyderization of the Skins") how low this organization can be taken. We're only seeing the front end of a major and prolonged slide for this organization. Get used to this kind of losing people.

Torressa, you've hit on exactly why the NFL (post 1994) is such a ****ing JOKE.

I don't buy it. I think what we have going on since 94 is a much stronger AFC that has been dominating and the Patriots put together a dynasty, which isn't over yet as far as I can tell.

There have only been 40 superbowls and on 12 since that year, there isn't enough data to suggest there is a trend that proves the NFL is a "joke". The NFL is the number one sport in the US for a reason.

Times change dude, you can chose to say that everything from leather helmets to edsels will always be better, but no one is going to stop progress because it scares you.

yeah Campbell is a keeper, at least for now. the guys with the big contracts that get bigger and beigger every year, you dont restructure them you cut those guys. Iknow it is most of your team, thats why it is called rebuilding. The we cant cut AA or Loyld because of the cap hit is BS. WHY because we are going to be a good team next year if we keep them. (I shouldn't have uses thier names dont mean to pick on them)

the fallacy is that you can't build a team solely on #1 draft picks and free agents.

some of the best value picks in the draft are found in rounds 2-4, where often you can find players that turn out to be contributors and you get them with a very modest signing bonus for 3-4 years.

these are exactly the picks the Redskins have dealt way as if they were worthless in the Lloyd and Duckett deals.

I am still trying to understand how the Redskins could be convinced to trade a 27 year old three time pro bowler in Champ Bailey to the Broncos for Portis AND still have to give up a #2 draft choice!

Bailey plays a MUCH harder position to play in the NFL and was the #7 overall pick in the 1999 draft.

Meanwhile, Portis was a second round pick in 2002.

So, we in essence dealt a #7 overall pick (and current pro bowler) PLUS a high #2 pick (Redskins finished 5-11 in 2003) for a player in Portis that cost the Broncos only a mid-#2 pick.

That's not value. No wonder why Denver loves trading with the Redskins, we always give them more than anyone else will.

On the open market, Portis garners a #1 pick or a high #2 pick as a straight trade.

The Redskins found a way to give up a player that was probably worth a #1 AND a #2 pick....................AND an additional #2 to make the deal.

Again, poor value shopping.

While I basically agree with you, the Skins were not merely trading draft picks when dealing Portis and Bailey...so you can't convert each player back to their draft picks in order to evaluate the deal.

the steelers still finished 8-8 and they had tons of injuires.. joey porter and big ben were not the same as last year.. cowher has been successful in his tenure in pittsburgh and rarely has losing seasons.. he knows how to build a good organization

You could say the same thing about the redskins. Springs, Washington was hurt all year but playd, that safety that got hurt the first play, Rogers missed a game, Griff missed games

While I basically agree with you, the Skins were not merely trading draft picks when dealing Portis and Bailey...so you can't convert each player back to their draft picks in order to evaluate the deal.

The Redskins trade draft picks because if they kept them , they could not fit them under the salary cap. It is impossible to sign a second and third round pick when you are aggressive in free agency.

They trade the picks on purpose. Plus they know if they want more picks they can always trade the next years second and 4th round pick for a third rounder this year.

no, but you can look at what Denver had to trade and what the Redskins had and come to the conclusion that a trade of a 26/27 year old pro bowl corner for a 24 year old pro bowl running back is if anything a straight up deal if not a deal where the Redskins should have received an additional pick, based on the fact that cornerbacks are a premium position in the NFL as is qb and LT and that CBs careers end to be longer. Running backs tend to play fewer years in the NFL at an elite level.

I don't buy it. I think what we have going on since 94 is a much stronger AFC that has been dominating and the Patriots put together a dynasty, which isn't over yet as far as I can tell.

It's not about AFC vs. NFC for me. It's about philosophy. The "New Age" NFL is a joke. It's about being the least bad team in the league instead of being a GREAT team.

There have only been 40 superbowls and on 12 since that year, there isn't enough data to suggest there is a trend that proves the NFL is a "joke". The NFL is the number one sport in the US for a reason.

I SERIOUSLY disagree. I think there's more than enough data to show atht the NFL, as currently constituted is a HUGE joke. As for the NFL being the #1 Sport in the US... Let's look at our recent National elections and talk about how utterly worthless and wrong the opinion of the vast majority of Americans is nowadays.

Times change dude, you can chose to say that everything from leather helmets to edsels will always be better, but no one is going to stop progress because it scares you.

Obviously things change. I'd just hope that when something changes for the WORSE, we'd be able to see that and return it to its proper course. Unfortunately too many people are making too much money selling their souls by buying into the "New Age" NFL for it to ever go back to the way it should be.

Thus endeth the sermon.

no, but you can look at what Denver had to trade and what the Redskins had and come to the conclusion that a trade of a 26/27 year old pro bowl corner for a 24 year old pro bowl running back is if anything a straight up deal if not a deal where the Redskins should have received an additional pick, based on the fact that cornerbacks are a premium position in the NFL as is qb and LT and that CBs careers end to be longer. Running backs tend to play fewer years in the NFL at an elite level.

I understand that, and agree that I wish the Skins had not given up the 2nd round pick as well...but not because of where Portis and Bailey were drafted. I remember reading in SI how the Panthers got a steal when they gave up a 6th rounder for Gardner, and they based it on the fact that Gardner was a former 1st rounder..."they got a 1st round player and only had to give up a 6th round to get him". I laughed at that logic lol... :laugh:

It's not about AFC vs. NFC for me. It's about philosophy. The "New Age" NFL is a joke. It's about being the least bad team in the league instead of being a GREAT team.

I SERIOUSLY disagree. I think there's more than enough data to show atht the NFL, as currently constituted is a HUGE joke. As for the NFL being the #1 Sport in the US... Let's look at our recent National elections and talk about how utterly worthless and wrong the opinion of the vast majority of Americans is nowadays.

Obviously things change. I'd just hope that when something changes for the WORSE, we'd be able to see that and return it to its proper course. Unfortunately too many people are making too much money selling their souls by buying into the "New Age" NFL for it to ever go back to the way it should be.

Thus endeth the sermon.

Yet you keep showing up at the door.

That's a joke to me.

My thinking is complaining makes you happy. The NFl operates on the same principles you espouse,, free market,, pay for what is worth value,, players are worth a lot of money because they generate a lot of money. The NFL works strictly within the rules of 'supply and demand".

Have some convictions man. Act on your mouth. If it sucks so bad, go watch basketball or hockey.

Yap yap yap.

~Bang

For everyone that doesn't want a rebuild: Don't worry. We'll overpay for Clements, spend big on Briggs (and then wonder why he doesn't play as well without Urlacher and the Bears DL around anymore) and take another shot in '07.

For everyone that sees that an organizational overhaul with big picture thinking is necessary for sustained success: Its going to be another long year.

What does REBUILD even mean, guys? I think success in this league is found through balance. Teams like Tennessee HAVE to rebuild - because they were in Cap Hell...they're not exactly Plan A for free agents.

If we have to go through what Tennessee went through this year, that means the cap finally got us.

Colts, Pats, Broncos, Saints, Bears, Seahawks, etc. have all found balance in drafting, trading, and free agents. I don't think its a terrible critique of the Redskins to say they traded too many draft picks away over the last few years...then again, Betts, Campbell, Cooley, McIntosh, Rogers, and Taylor are all home-grown.

I'd like to see a solid #6 pick this year. I don't see there being an OVERWHELMING need to trade down. If we can - great. If we can't...just pick solid. We need a lot of defensive help. Do what the Bears do -- draft linebackers and corners like they're going out of style. What do we have? Four picks right now? I wouldn't want to see a single offensive player come in - unless we lose Dockery to Free Agency and we're in need of a LG.

Yet you keep showing up at the door.

The NFl operates on the same principles you espouse,, free market,, pay for what is worth value,, players are worth a lot of money because they generate a lot of money. The NFL works strictly within the rules of 'supply and demand".

~Bang

That's true, but I think the NFL bends the rules just a little. The NFL wants all the money up front, even before draft day. Naturally, every fan in the league things THIS year is going to be THE year. They all do. So they buy the season tickets.

By week 9, many of the fans realize their team has major problems. The market value of these tickets plunge. BUT, what does the NFL care? They've already been paid.

By week 12, even more fans realize their team sucks. Market values plunge further. Some sidelines seats go for as little as $25 a pair.

My point is, there is an excellent chance that supply and demand in March is much, much different then supply and demand in November. Chances are excellent that market value will drop. Therefore, it seems silly to buy in March.

Rebuild? Lets see Dallas is in the playoffs, New York is in the Playoffs, the Eagles are in the playoffs and we are just off...........WAY OFF!!!!!! Somantics are not important having a well run football team is from Ownership-management-coaching-players. You cant just get a tune up for this engine we need a whole new car. Get the Drift, Babe? :silly:

Archived