Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Crying "Cut Bell" in Denver... Missing Portis Now

Monk in the Hall!

I was checking out the Denver boards to check on the shooting of D. Williams (Damn, that is such a tragedy). While doing so, I noticed that there are lots of fans who want to cut or trade T. Bell (with whom the Broncos "replaced" Portis with the 2nd round pick we gave them). Interesting to see that there is a lot of unhappiness about him. While I doubt Denver feels the Portis trade was a mistake, it reminds us what a player Portis is yet again. Apparently, Bell fumbles quite a bit.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=81590

Yesterday's game was the single worst call I've ever seen. How did the refs not blow the whistle on the fumble? I mean, it was clearly a fumble, but nobody even noticed it. Thats a pretty strange call. and than when Taylor Jacobs caught a first down, how does he "fumble"? Then the play gets challenged, then ruled incomplete? he took only about 4 steps. I thought our refs screwed us, but those refs were plain retarded.

While doing so, I noticed that there are lots of fans who want to cut or trade T. Bell (with whom the Broncos "replaced" Portis with the 2nd round pick we gave them). Interesting to see that there is a lot of unhappiness about him. While I doubt Denver feels the Portis trade was a mistake, it reminds us what a player Portis is yet again. Apparently, Bell fumbles quite a bit.

Yes the Redskins have been fortunate with Portis as he is a complete back. I however wish we could be complaining about the CB we took with the 2nd round pick Denver gave us to replace Champ.

I think the guy they're missing is Elway, not Portis. Quarterbacking is that team's problem.

It looks like they are headed in the right direction with Cutler, just as the Redskins are with JC!

I am not suggesting we got the best of the trade. Bailey may be more difficult to replace than Portis, though both are top 5 players at their position. (Corners more difficult to find than RBs). But then Bailey did not want to be here- the argument rages on....

I dont want to dig all this up again- my only note is that the 2nd round add in to the trade has not been panning out for the Broncos. I agree with DWinzit that I wish we were complaining about OUR 2nd round pick in that trade instead of Denver complaining.

Broncos aren't missing Portis. Bailey had 10 interceptions this year including one for a TD yesterday. BTW - Walt Harris had 8 interceptions for the year also including a TD return yesterday.

That makes me want to puke that we gave up Walt Harris, I quess Greg Williams Ego said, "My defense is sooooo good, I can Replace anyone."

-Grant

That makes me want to puke that we gave up Walt Harris, I quess Greg Williams Ego said, "My defense is sooooo good, I can Replace anyone."

-Grant

So now fans are flip-flopping on Walt Harris??

You mean the same Walt Harris that fans wanted run out of town last year for bad tackling and giving receivers the 10-15 yard cushions like Rogers currently does??

Some of you people have very short memories.

-Grant

Walt Harris really was not very good last year. IMO he was last year's Kenny Wright. I think our lack of pressure, Springs injury, and inability to stop the run played alot into why we were so exposed at DB this year.

I remember Barry Wilburn lead the league (or close to it) in INTs one year- and we all know he was not much above an average DB.

Walt Harris really was not very good last year. IMO he was last year's Kenny Wright. I think our lack of pressure, Springs injury, and inability to stop the run played alot into why we were so exposed at DB this year.

I remember Barry Wilburn lead the league (or close to it) in INTs one year- and we all know he was not much above an average DB.

We could have won more games with those 8 Picks, he cant be much worse than what we have now. Heck he has more interceptions than our whole team combined!

-Grant

The aren't missing CP, but Bailey certainly has not helped that franchise. A corner, no matter how good, can only do so much to help a team. The Broncos as a franchise are really no better off with Bailey than they were without him. They are team that makes the playoffs most years and promptly get knocked out (usually thanks to their D getting shredded).

While the Redskins have been a worse team since 04 than the Broncos, at least one thing is certain, thanks to CP the Redskins did something last year that they usually don't do and that is make the playoffs. Faint praise for my beloved Redskins I know. :(

Undo the trade. Put Bailey back on the Redskins and Portis back on the Broncos these last 3 seasons and I think you'll see the Broncos be what they are today. Make the playoffs but lose quickly and the Redskins will have failed to make the playoffs all 3 seasons.

I keep reading how a "shutdown corner" is more valuable than a runningback. That is so not true that it's laughable. What is true is FINDING a shutdown corner, an elite corner, is much more difficult than a productive runningback.

But once you have a franchise runner, that player is far more valuable (he touches the ball 300 plus times in a season) and has a greater impact on the team and you don't get rid of him for a cornerback.

It was a good move by the Skins (nobody was going to give us 2 first rounders for Bailey so don't even go there with the whole "he was franchised" argument) if it was a straight up trade. I don't understand why we had to throw in the 2nd rounder on top of it. At least I take comfort in knowing that the Broncos screwed up the pick. Tatum Bell is not a prime runner. He can't carry a team.

Do you honestly believe Walt Harris would have 8 picks if he was on our team?

Seriously. People act like this was a Ryan Clark type deal where everyone was like wtf when we let him go. I cant remember ANYONE (i'm sure there were a few) that was upset about letting Walt Harris go. Hell I offered to go to DC and pack his bags. He's having a good year, it happens.

Franchise running backs with a QB like Jason Campbell = LT FROM THE CHARGERS, Larry Johnson on the Cheifs.

Franchise running backs with Brunell and his happy feet = average backs.

We have not seen the real Clinton Portis. You know why? We have not seen him in space.

He is a LT type of back. And was on pace to put better stats than LT. But he has bad Brunell as his QB.

Betts sucked too until Jason Campbell came in. Betts is a 1700 yard back with a QB. Portis is a 2000 yard and 20 touchdown back with a QB.

Seriously. People act like this was a Ryan Clark type deal where everyone was like wtf when we let him go. I cant remember ANYONE (i'm sure there were a few) that was upset about letting Walt Harris go. Hell I offered to go to DC and pack his bags. He's having a good year, it happens.

For all the complaining we did about harris, myself included, i think the bottom line is that he is better than we thought he was, and quite frankly we didn't appreciate him as much as we should have. Maybe we didn't know any better at the time, but now we do. After seeing players like Rumph and Wright play the nickelback, I can confidently say that I miss Harris. He was never a stud by any means, but he was relatively solid and relatively reliable, which is more than I can say for our secondary right now. He had some bad plays, for sure, but he had his fair share of good plays too. He was old and not worth much, but I think he would have been productive had we kept him. I still don't mind that we got rid of him, because his departure is not the source of this team's numerous problems, but, in hindsight, I think we all owe him a little more gratitude that we gave him. He was part of a good defense and he played his part respectably. OK I'm rambling...

While it makes me feel a little better that they miss portis, it doesn't change the fact that we totally screwed that trade up and got hosed.

We did not get hosed on the trade. The Broncos did not have to get rid of Portis. He was under contract. The Redskins had to make a deal or sign Bailey.

That is why they had to give up the pick.

For all the complaining we did about harris, myself included, i think the bottom line is that he is better than we thought he was, and quite frankly we didn't appreciate him as much as we should have. Maybe we didn't know any better at the time, but now we do. After seeing players like Rumph and Wright play the nickelback, I can confidently say that I miss Harris. He was never a stud by any means, but he was relatively solid and relatively reliable, which is more than I can say for our secondary right now. He had some bad plays, for sure, but he had his fair share of good plays too. He was old and not worth much, but I think he would have been productive had we kept him. I still don't mind that we got rid of him, because his departure is not the source of this team's numerous problems, but, in hindsight, I think we all owe him a little more gratitude that we gave him. He was part of a good defense and he played his part respectably. OK I'm rambling...

He was better but the 49ers have defensive ends to pressure the QB. It forces QBs to rush. The Redskins put their corners out on island.

He is a LT type of back. And was on pace to put better stats than LT. But he has bad Brunell as his QB.

Betts sucked too until Jason Campbell came in. Betts is a 1700 yard back with a QB. Portis is a 2000 yard and 20 touchdown back with a QB.

We are over hyping Portis. Portis is a good rb, but a 2000 yard RB????

HE has never got over 1500.

Archived