Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2006 Draft Review

D'Pablo

Looking back, we had one hell of a 2006 draft. It's quite obvious now that Rocky McIntosh is being integrated into the starting defense, which only enhances our draft. Take a look:

2nd Round (35th pick): Roger McIntosh- Has been a backup most of the year and perhaps our best special teams tackler. As a starter in the second half of the Saints game, he was visibly more active than Holdman and no passes were caught at his expense. Our defense certainly looked more stout with him inserted in the lineup. Clearly a future starter (perhaps beginning with St. Louis).

5th Round (153rd pick): Anthony Montgomery- Started a few games with Salave'a and Cornelius Griffin injured. Was everything as advertised... A mammoth DT with poor leverage at times, capable of being a good to great player in this league. He definately flashed potential and adds quality depth to our team. If he had played alongside our more experienced players in Griffin or Salave'a, he may have shined at the same level as Golston. His immediate future is as quality depth, and depending on his hunger, he could be a starter.

6th Round (173rd pick): Reed Doughty- Our second best special teams tacker (I think we all cringed during his teams' hit during the Saints game). He is clearly raw, and needs a few years to develop. When inserted into the starting lineup, he bit on play action fakes, and didn't necessarily show great recovery skills. If plays smarter, he may be able to make up for his lack of athleticism (which could be improved through NFL-style conditioning). To his credit, though, our entire secondary was performing poorly while he was in the lineup. His future is probably as our special teams ace, as he is clearly passionate about it. Unfortunately, this team has had a revolving door at safety, so his future may be uncertain. I like this guy though.

6th Round (196th pick): Kedrick Golston- Arguably the best rookie DT (in a supposedly deep DT class) of the 2006 draft. This guy is lights out and Blache deserves all the credit in the world for scouting this guy and coaching him up. I've never, in all my years of watching the NFL, seen a Redskin rookie d-lineman pick up a defense and play with so much composure at such a high level. This guy is a starter currently, and may become a future all-pro.

7th Round (230th pick): Kili Lefotu- Didn't make the team. We chose experience over youth in this particular case.

7th Round (250th pick): Kevin Simon- Didn't make the team. Before this season, it was thought that this position was already too crowded with talent.

In the NFL, that's considered 4 hits and 2 misses. Considering we only had one first day pick, that's incredible. Moreover, we got an absolute steal in Golston. Golston and McIntosh will be starters next season and this bodes well for our 2006 draft. This might just be the best draft we've had since Gibbs II started.

with whoever we draft I will welcome in gladly. Drafting is a complicated thing and I think we have the spot to get some good talent. I'm excited to see who we get. And, I will be excited after we get him. I remember when Philly boo'd McNabb and scolded him when he was draft (how embarrassing). Now he is the face of that organization and they all love him... I still think that's so disrespectful to do to a young guy coming in to your franchise.

Looking back' date=' we had one hell of a 2006 draft. It's quite obvious now that Rocky McIntosh is being integrated into the starting offense, which only enhances our draft. Take a look:

2nd Round (35th pick): Roger McIntosh- Has been a backup most of the year and perhaps our best special teams tackler. As a starter in the second half of the Saints game, he was visibly more active than Holdman and no passes were caught at his expense. Our defense certainly looked more stout with him inserted in the lineup. Clearly a future starter (perhaps beginning with St. Louis).

5th Round (153rd pick): Anthony Montgomery- Started a few games with Salave'a and Cornelius Griffin injured. Was everything as advertised... A mammoth DT with poor leverage at times, capable of being a good to great player in this league. He definately flashed potential and adds quality depth to our team. If he had played alongside our more experienced players in Griffin or Salave'a, he may have shined at the same level as Golston. His immediate future is as quality depth, and depending on his hunger, he could be a starter.

6th Round (173rd pick): Reed Doughty- Our second best special teams tacker (I think we all cringed during his teams' hit during the Saints game). He is clearly raw, and needs a few years to develop. When inserted into the starting lineup, he bit on play action fakes, and didn't necessarily show great recovery skills. If plays smarter, he may be able to make up for his lack of athleticism (which could be improved through NFL-style conditioning). To his credit, though, our entire secondary was performing poorly while he was in the lineup. His future is probably as our special teams ace, as he is clearly passionate about it. Unfortunately, this team has had a revolving door at safety, so his future may be uncertain. I like this guy though.

6th Round (196th pick): Kedrick Golston- Arguably the best rookie DT (in a supposedly deep DT class) of the 2006 draft. This guy is lights out and Blache deserves all the credit in the world for scouting this guy and coaching him up. I've never, in all my years of watching the NFL, seen a Redskin rookie d-lineman pick up a defense and play with so much composure at such a high level. This guy is a starter currently, and may become a future all-pro.

7th Round (230th pick): Kili Lefotu- Didn't make the team. We chose experience over youth in this particular case.

7th Round (250th pick): Kevin Simon- Didn't make the team. Before this season, it was thought that this position was already too crowded with talent.

In the NFL, that's considered 4 hits and 2 misses. Considering we only had one first day pick, that's incredible. Moreover, we got an absolute steal in Golston. Golston and McIntosh will be starters next season and this bodes well for our 2006 draft. This might just be the best draft we've had since Gibbs II started.[/quote']

Montgomery has struggled IMO and did not look good at all when he was playing. Golston was initially supposed to be more of a project than Montgomery. He can get better of course but right now I think it's a stretch to say he provides quality depth at such a critical position as DT - just my opinion / impression on the matter. Might be missing something.

Good stuff though...

Montgomery has struggled IMO and did not look good at all when he was playing. Golston was initially supposed to be more of a project than Montgomery. He can get better of course but right now I think it's a stretch to say he provides quality depth at such a critical position as DT - just my opinion / impression on the matter. Might be missing something.

Good stuff though...

I think that's a pretty harsh evaluation. He didn't struggle when in spot duty alongside Griffin, and he was surprisingly active in pursuit (don't normally expect that from big guys in the middle). Unfortunately, he did lose leverage all too often. That is something that can be coached and practiced out of his game. He has everything physically needed to be an imposing DT (6'5", and a muscular, 312lbs build). The coaching staff thinks enough of him to have released Cedric Killings. Not to mention, they have him listed as our 2nd backup DT. That, alone, makes him quality depth. As a rookie, he can only get better.

Unfortunately' date=' he did lose leverage all too often. That is something that can be coached and practiced out of his game. He has everything physically needed to be an imposing DT (6'5", and a muscular, 312lbs build). The coaching staff thinks enough of him to have released Cedric Killings. Not to mention, they have him listed as our 2nd backup DT. That, alone, makes him quality depth. As a rookie, he can only get better.[/quote']

Perhaps you're right. I do strive to be fair but it is hard to shake from my memory the Titans game when Travis Henry almost had 200 yards rushing - Montogomery was starting opposite of Golston that day. It was not a pretty sight to behold. I'm not saying the guy is hopeless by an means and your point about the team releasing Killings is a good one. Killings was decent.

D'Pablo -- the Skins should hire you to run their Draft squad. Good report, if a bit optimistic IMO. I think Rocky needs a another 20 lbs. of weight room bulk, but I'm concerned that his frame might be too narrow. I'm also concerned he has not shown enough instinct to get on the field sooner ... after all he is a high 2nd choice. Who do you see the Skins taking with their high No. 1 this year?

I think you over-praise Doughty and McIntosh for their special team prowess. I haven't heard their names overmuch, but teams has played pretty well this year and Reed had a great hit last game so :cheers:

Rocky should have more PT, especially at this point when we've entered the early pre-season for '08. Doughty has made a couple of plays, but man was he easily chased down on that fumble return. Probably too slow to ever make it on the field as a safety. The DT's are looking good for rooks.

The Titans game was rough, but that was early in the season and both rookie DTs hadn't gotten enough reps to be starting. I believe the fact that we kept playing Golston is the reason he has shined over Montgomery.[/quote

If keep on playing produces shine..... I vote for no off season.

Looking back' date=' we had one hell of a 2006 draft. It's quite obvious now that Rocky McIntosh is being integrated into the starting offense, which only enhances our draft. [/quote']

for starters Rocky is being "integrated" into the defense no offense. and secondly hes only been in for about 10 plays TOPS all season so I wouldn't say hes really being all that integrated. I hope he can become a solid contributer because hes much faster than holdman and honestly it makes no sense that hes not starting but to say hes being integrated; i dunno.

for starters Rocky is being "integrated" into the defense no offense. and secondly hes only been in for about 10 plays TOPS all season so I wouldn't say hes really being all that integrated. I hope he can become a solid contributer because hes much faster than holdman and honestly it makes no sense that hes not starting but to say hes being integrated; i dunno.

You're right... Rocky is being integrated into the defense and "no offense." I made the edit. As for Rocky's playing time, he is going to get his snaps. One thing I've noticed about our linebackers unit is that it is the oldest on the team. That tells me that Gregg Williams prefers veterans at this position. All those veterans make it difficult for a fledgling player, such as McIntosh, to crack the lineup. This move isn't unprecedented, considering Williams did something similar with Keith Bullock.

Archived