Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

andre carter/kedric golston

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

Actually there is already an Andre Carter appreciation thread titled something like "Andre Carter has arrived."

It's somewhere down the page.

But yes. They have both played well. I was starting to sweat because I said that Andre Carter would surprise everyone with his good play, and he hadn't been.

Glad he's playing up to his potential. Took him long enough.

Golston has come out of no where. Seems like his biggest problem has been that he just gets injured a lot. Hope he stays away from the injury bug this year and next.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Andre played in a 3-4 scheme with the 49ers last year as an OLB which leads me to believe that he probably just needed time to adjust to being back on the line and a new system. You can see his confidence growing each game. :applause:

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Andre played in a 3-4 scheme with the 49ers last year as an OLB which leads me to believe that he probably just needed time to adjust to being back on the line and a new system. You can see his confidence growing each game. :applause:

you know, i havent noticed the last few games, but I remember that early in the year he was actually playing with both hands in the dirt. Has that changed?

Maybe he really was just feeling his way around the d line again, and maybe he's figured a few things out

I like it.

But we need depth. Daniels and Wynn arent getting any younger and that other rookie has made me forget his name.

If we pick up 1 good starter/backup[ or 2 decent/prospects for the DL next year I'll be happy.

Well, we'll have to see how Anthony Montgomery develops. At this point in his career he's not going to displace Cornelius Griffin, but he may be prepared to step in if one of Golston/Griffin goes down.

I would love love love to get a beastly pass rushing defensive end in the first round of the draft to complete our defensive line. If Carter continues to develop, putting a Freeney/Peppers (ok that's a stretch, but just assume a pass rushing force) type DE on the other side of the line, with Griff/Golston in the middle would really allow the DL to get consistent pressure on the QB, making our DBs look far less sketchy, and generating more turnover opportunities.

At this point, do we need DL help or help at CB?

The age old question: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I'm a big proponent of developing your lines and working your way out. Another good pass rusher will automagically make our secondary look better. Hopefully Carlos Rogers will improve, since we blew a top 10 draft pick on him. Pierson Prioleau should be back next year as a utility DB (FS/nickelback) which should help. Given our dearth of draft picks, and knowing Danny, I think we're lining up to throw a bucketload of money at Nate Clements.

I'm a big proponent of developing your lines and working your way out. Another good pass rusher will automagically make our secondary look better. Hopefully Carlos Rogers will improve, since we blew a top 10 draft pick on him. Pierson Prioleau should be back next year as a utility DB (FS/nickelback) which should help. Given our dearth of draft picks, and knowing Danny, I think we're lining up to throw a bucketload of money at Nate Clements.

I'm not so sure just one player is going to automatically make our entire team look better. Also, take into consideration that the player we draft will not see the field for a year. If we draft Gaines Adams or Lamarr Woodley or whoever at the DE spot, they will need a lot of work. I think those players will eventually develop into great players but it will surely take time for them. Mario Williams isn't lighting up QB's every down... so just be careful when assuming our newly acquired DE (if thats who we draft) is going to march on the field and throw everybody around.

Yeah, I think I would rather have a lights-out DL more than a lights-out CB. At least I think I think that.

I mean, when we had Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot, they played pretty well when we didn't have a great pass rush.

Then again, I guess there are no Champ Baileys in this year's draft.

Maybe a Fred Smoot though.

Speaking of which, isn't he a free agent this year? I do think we'll bring in at least one free agent. I kind of hope it's not an expensive one.

At this point, do we need DL help or help at CB?

The age old question: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

secondary by a landslide. our d line actually looks good now with carter playing waaaaaaay better and golston getting the start over salavea. griffin is a beast, we just need a stud DE through FA or the draft. but our secondary.......

taylor and rogers are the only ones worth buidling on. springs is great, but hes old and is an injury liability, he should be moved to saftey into vernon fox's role and springs/fox/vincent should rotate out of that saftey spot. thats great depth right there as all 3 have proven they can start. we need to draft a stud CB for to play opposite rogers, then get tons of depth, because rumph and wright are both awful in man coverage. with PP back we should be better, but we need depth depth depth back there.

secondary by a landslide. our d line actually looks good now with carter playing waaaaaaay better and golston getting the start over salavea. griffin is a beast, we just need a stud DE through FA or the draft. but our secondary.......

taylor and rogers are the only ones worth buidling on. springs is great, but hes old and is an injury liability, he should be moved to saftey into vernon fox's role and springs/fox/vincent should rotate out of that saftey spot. thats great depth right there as all 3 have proven they can start. we need to draft a stud CB for to play opposite rogers, then get tons of depth, because rumph and wright are both awful in man coverage. with PP back we should be better, but we need depth depth depth back there.

I agree with this... depth at the d-line would not hurt though... not at all. But, I think we can accomplish that in later rounds. I'm more on the side of signing Asante Samuel or Nate Clements and drafting LaRon Landry. I like Fox, but I don't think he's the answer, and I like Vincent and PP but I think that PP should start and we could groom LaRon Landry to take over next to ST. Move Vincent to nickel back... start PP at SS and move Springs to nickelback and Samuel or Clements (whoever) to #1 CB and keep Rogers at #2 CB. At this point it seems up in the air as to whom the team should and will draft.

I know some may not think the same, but I like Phillip Daniels as well. He makes big plays. I don't know why everyone writes him off so quickly. He has come up huge a lot of times for this team.

I think Daniels gets a good amount of respect overall. He is decent enough against the run but we need more of a pass rush from him. We need an explosive DE in the same mold as Daniels 6'3" and at least 270lbs IMO to play opposite of Carter. That in conjunction with a DT, who I also think we need, would make this defensive line of Washington's pretty darn formidable I think.

It would be a hugh mistake to draft a skinny DE in the first round (who will take yrs. to mature). The Skins should trade down and take a speedy LARGE Possession receiver like Jarrett or Smardijiaz ... the receiver corps is not there yet and these guys will contirbute immediately!

Yeah I have to admit that I was one of those people who couldn't believe that we got another player from the 49ers. He is the only one who is actually working out at this juncture. So I do owe him an apology. He has come along. I still think that he needs some work, but he should tell brandon lloyd a thing or two about working hard and just playing. I do think though that Brandon Lloyd has been pretty quiet as of late though, so I am glad that we don't have keep hearing about it on every local talk radio segment.

anyone catch the post game where carter said that williams and friends cut them lose? we he saying that before the last few games he told the dline not to rush the passer?

I caught that... and I'm pretty sure that's what he was saying. I too agree that it would be a mistake to take an undersized DE in the first round who will not be able to contribute for a while. I think that we should take a playmaking safety... that adds depth and allows for a huge playmaker to contribute soon. That will also hopefully compensate for our lack of judgment with AA.

1) no way - D-line first. this is what every SANE team in the league does. A quality pass rusher benefits ALL the secondary. Our pass rush isn't there yet.

2) Ken Harvey made an interesting comment yesterday. He has been happy with AC's improved play. He hinted that basic technique has been part of the problem - said that AC is now using his hands much better to shed blockers.

Archived