Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jansen's play, and Lloyd snubbed by two core Redskins (game observations)

The Full Monty

We absolutely need to get back into the 2nd and 3rd round this year.

Our offensive and defensive lines are aging and need new talent.

I was at the game yesterday, watching from the upper level suite (suite 338) and kept an eye on Jansen. Jansen is one of my favorite Redskins and I am proud to say that I wear a Redskins visor that he signed during training camp this year - I wear it walking into the office on Mondays win or lose! No matter what the other guys here say.

Anyways, as others have pointed out - he truly has lost a step - and although we still did great in the rushing numbers - looking at Jansen alone - his legs just aren't as sturdy or as steady as they once were - once one of the most athletic tackles in the league - his lack of burst off the line was really telling at some points on some of our perimeter plays, and he had a slight limp/hobble going back to the sideline after a few of our series. Remember when we used to run Stephen Davis on the good old toss play under Norv and Marty? Jansen would seemingly take out 3 guys in the course of the play. Jansen hasn't completely lost his skills - but by next year we can't count on him to be much better.

My lone but revealing observation of Brandon Lloyd was a telling sequence when Lloyd came into one package in the 2nd half, I could be wrong but I believe it was at the start of the series that included his catch from Randel-El if not the series before it-

and as Lloyd was jogging into the huddle from the sidelines, both James Thrash and Mike Sellers were jogging off the field - Lloyd overtly stuck out his hand for a high-five from Sellers - these are common, we've all seen them - high-fives for guys guys being subbed in and guys taking a rest or not belonging to that particular package - and Sellers just jogged past him without looking at him - then immediately afterward, Lloyd again did the same thing for Thrash who was jogging a few paces behind Sellers - and Thrash again just jogged past him.

It was disappointing to see that - I hope things get settled soon - but that was a huge red flag for me on how Lloyd is regarded by two guys who truly bleed burgundy and gold.

I didn't know until yesterday that Pucillo was Campbells teammate at Auburn, and I think he was his center, but can't be 100% sure. He could be our center of the future. I would for us somehow, someway to draft the center from WVU, but he will probably be gone in the 2nd, and we don't have any picks until the 4th round.

About the Lloyd thing, I don't know if his teammates were blatantly ignoring him. I know from personal experience that when you're in the game, you're extremely focused on it and basically in the zone. So when, say, you're coming off the field, you're not really paying attention to those around you and could easily miss someone trying to give a high five. They were running and looking straight ahead, so unless Lloyd stuck his hand right in front of Sellers or Thrash to the point that they couldn't miss it, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

No question about it - injuries and age are catching up with our Iron Man, much sooner than any of us would like. We need to find his successor in the draft.

I think we have a lot of depth in our camp right now, and hopefully his future successor is on our team already, and waiting for his chance. Saying that, when Jansen is 100% healthy, he is one of the top RT's in the game!

Like Bubba said, he's playing hurt. If anything, that should make you appreciate him even more. This guy is playing with a bad calf, and still playing pretty well. He's what Redskin football is all about and is the type of player we need more of around here. A tough player who will give it his all whether he has a bad leg, or 2 broken thumbs.

I think we have a lot of depth in our camp right now, and hopefully his future successor is on our team already, and waiting for his chance. Saying that, when Jansen is 100% healthy, he is one of the top RT's in the game!

What is the o-line depth you refer to? Except for a guy who has played more snaps at tight end than at his natural positions, I don't know of anyone who is proven or highly touted waiting in the wings.

I think we have a lot of depth in our camp right now, and hopefully his future successor is on our team already, and waiting for his chance.

What? Who? Where?

We have depth? Along the OL? And there's a successor at RT?

This is all news to me. And to the coaches as well, I'm sure.

Jansen is a tough son of a *****. Take away 2004 and he had only missed one snap in his entire career. I think that knee surgery really took a lot out of him. He was an elite RT before but now he's merely decent at best.

I don't think it's time to replace him as he's stepped up in recent weeks but I agree it's time to start looking for a long term replacement. But I am a Jansen fan.

Archived