Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Portis (Merged)

bricucci

You want 2 quality backs on your team. When CP was brought in, he was told to spell himself every time he got winded. That's the way it has worked and most teams have a solid number 2 to come in several times a game. Same reason you have 3 or 4 wide receivers. You spell the man that gets winded, and you have insurance if a man gets hurt. I believe you would find it listed under "depth chart".

Basically the better the number two man, the better the team is.

You want 2 quality backs on your team. When CP was brought in, he was told to spell himself every time he got winded. That's the way it has worked and most teams have a solid number 2 to come in several times a game. Same reason you have 3 or 4 wide receivers. You spell the man that gets winded, and you have insurance if a man gets hurt. I believe you would find it listed under "depth chart".

Basically the better the number two man, the better the team is.

People will put there their little twist on anything...The point was not that at all...you are correct even though you went way out in left field to get it...we are not saying that we do not need a solid back up but Betts could be a solid starter and do much of the things that Portis does and if he CAN we can trade Portis for defensive help.

Who's LT #2 man, is he just as good as LT, are the Chargers taking the ball out of his hands for any extended time? LJ?, Alexander? Barber?...point being that teams do not usaully keep 2 premier runners with the same capabilities on the same team when they can get the help that they need with one of them especially when you need bodies in other positions as bad as the 'skins needs them.

LOL...depth chart does not mean that everybody on it are of equal value

If you've been reading the points made as to why we'd trade Portis, you'd realize that you haven't said nearly "nuff" with that.

I haven't seen anyone arguing that Betts is better than Portis. I've seen some intelligent posts discussing that we could use our depth at RB to improve our defense. If we were able to get a couple picks for CP that we could devote to DL or LB or safety, we'd improve as a team despite losing a marginal amount of at the RB position.

Not everything is linear and black & white.

Very true. I honestly dont know if we could get enough value for him though. He was a 2nd round pick and yes, he has been a exceptional back. However I dont thing another team would give a 1st rounder for him. If we could get a high first round pick, or a 2nd and 3rd this year or a 2nd and a 2nd next year, I'd say we have to think about it. However as someone mentioned in another post earlier, good running backs are a dime a dozen right now. I dont see anyone giving multiple picks for Portis (and I think that is the only way we could really benefit from a trade) except for the Washington Redskins.

Keep CP, save the game of Russian Roulette that is a high draft pick. Had Portis not been playing hurt all season before going to IR, there was talk that we might have seen a lot of both of them. Think back to last year's Rams game where we had Portis and Cartwright rush for over 100 yards each.

Guest Knightwchmn

Bud... keep up with the times... In today's NFL - a duel-back system is becoming the norm

Bush-McAlister

Barber - Jacobs (NY)

Williams - Alstott

Jones-Drew - Taylor

Jones - Barber (Dal)

etc...

It is great to have that 1-2 punch.

look at it this way

if we keep betts and trade portis

betts goes down who comes in?

if we keep portis and trade betts

portis goes down who comes in?

i dont see the problem with keeping 2 backs

joe gibbs always had 2 good rb's in the backfeild one with speed one downhill

and i just dont understand why we have trade portis threads when we have players like archuleta, rogers, jon jansen, and brandon lloyd whos getting paid alot and arent doing alot for this team.....

Guest JCsSkins

There is no way a trade for CP will happen, period!!!

Skins will have CP, Betts, Rock, and a rookie at RB next year.

TJ Ducket is gone for sure. His contract is up and there is no way he stays here.

Lets just hope they are able to resign Sellers. He is one of the best players on the team.

Bud... keep up with the times... In today's NFL - a duel-back system is becoming the norm

Bush-McAlister

Barber - Jacobs (NY)

Williams - Alstott

Jones-Drew - Taylor

Jones - Barber (Dal)

etc...

It is great to have that 1-2 punch.

LOL...you're joking right...well we know that Barber is about to retire but Jacobs is not anywhere near as good of a back as Barber ....Taylor will be gone this year with the emergence of Jones-Drew (believe that) and the same with Jones and Barber ...no one wants to hide their bushel under a basket once they show their wares and teams starts approaching, those tandems will break up. Other GM's are not stupid they are going to get something for one of those talented backs and let the other do their things

Bush and McAlister can work because Bush is not a true runningback he is runningback/receiver/do everything so that can work he can not carry the ball 30 times a game

I am not going to even comment on that Williams-Alstott thing that was just crazy

Irrelevant of if people think we shouldn't trade Portis, i don't think anyone can discount it happening. The circumstances that exist right now suggest that Portis maybe going at the end of the year. Why resign Betts on a big contract extension to be a back-up? With the salary cap room we have for next year (or lack there of), it doesn't make sense that we would spend that sort of money on someone we plan to sit on the bench.

If you think this would be a terrible trade option and they would never do it. Just have a look at the decisions our front office has made in the previous 5, 10....hell, 15 years, and then tell me it could never happen. We are known for this sort of thing.

I don't agree with the idea of trading Portis, but i don't think anyone can dispute that it just may happen. This sort of s### is what we do best.

Guest JCsSkins

Oz you don't understand the world of NFL player contracts. Betts signed a 5 year $11 mil deal. This is nothing. It IS a back-up RB price for a back-up RB. Portis signed a 8 year $50+ mil deal. And that was 2 years ago. In today's money that would be a $60+ mil deal with the new collective bargaining agreement. There is exactly 0% chance the skins go into next year without CP. This is not even worth further discussion.

Forgive me if it was brought up, but the search function isn't working on my computer. (keep getting a fatal error) I've discussed this with fellow skin fans for 3 weeks now. Ladell Betts is an ideal runner for Gibbs and the Saunders offense. I'm a huge Clinton Portis fan, but for the betterment of this franchise if you could get a team to bite on his salary and get a 1st rounder for him, it might be the best move long term. I'm sure I'll get hammered by some, but Betts has proven he can be a top notch back these last 3 games and getting our D back to where it was the last two years by drafting young talent is how were going to get back on top. I would hate to see CP somewhere else, and I don't think it will happen, but I think it makes sense. Acquring picks and freeing up salary cap space and you have someone there to replace him. Think about it.

YOU.....are out of your mind!!

Ladell Betts has 3 straight games of over 100 yards rushing. He just ran for 171 yesterday! He might not have the same game breaking ability as Clinton Portis but we have ONE SINGLE draft pick from the 1st round to the 5th round!!!!!!!!!!

How would it seem rediculous for a NON playoff team to deal an injured star like Clinton Portis to get extra help in the DRAFT when he have NO picks?! Stupid Redskins fans STILL haven't figured out that big names and big spending don't win sh*t. It's building a TEAM through the draft and NOT going overboard in free agency. Acquire draft picks. Blow the team up if you have to.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Sweet ****ing Jesus, can you please listen to this man.

Betts hits the holes harder than Portis??? :doh:

I'm not advocating trading Portis (we wouldn't get anything for him now anyway), but Betts does hit the "hole" harder than Portis. Portis has been conditioned, since he's been here, to follow his blockers so he often runs into the backs of the linemen, whereas Betts "runs to daylight."

I do like the way Betts runs in this offense better than CP and hope we use them both often next year.

Hail,

H

If he is "damaged goods" don't you think that the "damaged goods" is going to be in the way of Betts doing what he can do by taking carries and yardages away from him while "damaged goods" are in there trying to "make it happen"...that kind of thinking makes no sense

In my original post I stated any other team in the NFL (not Washington). If I was any other team in the NFL than the Redskins, I would not take a gamble with a draft pick. I apologize if that kind of thinking makes no sense to you.

guys lets please use our brain

do you think if betts started all games this season he would be doing the same right now?

if he had started all games he would be beat up and would be struggling

how about we keep 2 betts so we can have a running game in the playoffs instead of our start rb injured because of 300 carries?

Why be stupid and take excellant depth at our primary position away?

first off we arent going to get your perceived value for him with him coming off injuries and better backs have been traded for 2nd or 3rd rounders prior to this season.

Its nothing wrong with having a star back (portis) and a very good back for backup in Betts.

Instead of weakening ourselves this would be the offseason to take our lumps cut out the quick fix and big splash and draft the big uglies on defense.

what is also funny ias that some of you actually think that portis couldnt match or better betts rushing numbers.

Lets give betts the separated shoulder and other injuries as well as a mark brunell so opposing teams can crowd the line and dare the skins to throw deep

Archived