Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dating Outside Your Race?

RiggoReincarnated

I'll try to give this a thoughtful response. I think I woudl divide "inter-racial relationships" into two separate categories:

The second I'll call "Experimentation"-- where one or both of the people involved have a motivation that is primarily sexual-- they want to "taste all the flavors", and mark them off as notches to show either their "prowess" or their "open-mindedness".

I think people in the second group are one of the lowest forms of life on Earth.

Jealousy is a stinky cologne.

i personbally dont think it should be a factor. im mixed my mom is white and me dad is from venezuela. i have been raised to accept all other people

I don't know exactly what your father's ethnic makeup is, but hispanics are not a race. Most people who are classified as "hispanic" are caucasian, although there are hispanics of a variety of backgrounds.

If, for example, a white guy like me married Salma Hayek or Penelope Cruz, that would not be an interracial relationship.

Jealousy is a stinky cologne.

Jealousy? No. I think the people I'm talking about are morally corrupt individuals who use others, even when the "using" is mutual. What they are doing is taking advantage of naivete and/or curiosity on the other's part to get a meaningless thrill. Many times, it is the guy taking advantage of the woman who isn't as quick to catch on to his BS as she would be with a guy of her own race.

I have what I think is an interesting point of view on the subject. I date women of all races, but, for a while, I dated white women exclusively. When I was growing up, my parents raised me to talk proper and avoid all street language. Of course, growing up in a predominantly black neighborhood, I was always teased about that by other black kids. Black girls especially rejected me because they thought I was "gay" or "trying to be white." Meantime, white girls accepted me because they thought that I was nice and intelligent and that was the only group of females where I could be myself, if you will.

As I've gotten older, I've come to realize that it's not all black women and that the ones who teased me were the ones with the problem. Today, I date all races.

I don't know exactly what your father's ethnic makeup is, but hispanics are not a race. Most people who are classified as "hispanic" are caucasian, although there are hispanics of a variety of backgrounds.

If, for example, a white guy like me married Salma Hayek or Penelope Cruz, that would not be an interracial relationship.

This is true.......however, not all people believe that way. When I was in college......I was going on a date........and the guy came to my house...met my mom and my grandparents.

When we were about a mile from my house...he asked me if my family was from Mexico. Being VERY PROUD of my heritage....I said YES. He immediately told me that he could not date me because I was not in his race.

I told him to stop the car......I got out......and walked home. I did not want HIS ATTITUDE to be at my house.

Blondie

thats not neccesarilly true

This is true.......however, not all people believe that way. When I was in college......I was going on a date........and the guy came to my house...met my mom and my grandparents.

When we were about a mile from my house...he asked me if my family was from Mexico. Being VERY PROUD of my heritage....I said YES. He immediately told me that he could not date me because I was not in his race.

I told him to stop the car......I got out......and walked home. I did not want HIS ATTITUDE to be at my house.

Blondie

Well, there are cultural barriers as well as racial ones, I guess. However, that guy was misinformed. People also tend to think think that Arabs, Persians, Jews and other people in the Middle East are a different race, but they are not. They're caucasians. In that case, the barrier is not only cultural, but religious.

thats not neccesarilly true

How so? There are people classified as "hispanic" who are primarily native in their makeup, and some (Dominicans like Sammy Sosa, for example) who are black, but there are many (the majority, I think, although I don't know the statistics) who are primarily of European, i.e. Spanish descent.

Jealousy? No. I think the people I'm talking about are morally corrupt individuals who use others, even when the "using" is mutual. What they are doing is taking advantage of naivete and/or curiosity on the other's part to get a meaningless thrill. Many times, it is the guy taking advantage of the woman who isn't as quick to catch on to his BS as she would be with a guy of her own race.

Generalize much?

Spend less time making judgments about how or why people do what they do.

You'll be happier for it.

Well, there are cultural barriers as well as racial ones, I guess. However, that guy was misinformed. People also tend to think think that Arabs, Persians, Jews and other people in the Middle East are a different race, but they are not. They're caucasians. In that case, the barrier is not only cultural, but religious.

The question of race is a cultural one. Races are culturally defined, and only vaguely based in biology.

I know there are cultural differences.

There are actually cultural differences in the people in the north and people in the south.

However.......I do not think I am of a different race.

Bloindie

I don't either. I think there are political forces at work that want to segregate white hispanics as a separate race and put them into minority status for the benefit of politicians (i.e. Democrats). For example, if you count all hispanics as "non-white", California is now a majority minority state. Democrats love that...however, if you count hispanics who classify themselves as white, California is 60% white.

The question of race is a cultural one. Races are culturally defined, and only vaguely based in biology.

Traditionally speaking, there are only three races: caucasian, asian, and black. There are a lot of different theories and categorizations that have come up in recent years.

Generalize much?

Spend less time making judgments about how or why people do what they do.

You'll be happier for it.

If you want an extreme example of what I'm talking about, think of the common scene in a rap video where the rapper has "one of each" sitting around the pool waiting to serve him. People with that mentality are scum. Sorry if you don't like it.

Traditionally speaking, there are only three races: caucasian, asian, and black. There are a lot of different theories and categorizations that have come up in recent years.

Actually, different categorizations have been developed for centuries, some of them identifying 30 or more races.

There are no biological races, unless one either wants to make them so broad or so narrow that they become meaningless. Race has a very real impact on everyday life, but as a cultural construction, not a biological fact.

I don't either. I think there are political forces at work that want to segregate white hispanics as a separate race and put them into minority status for the benefit of politicians (i.e. Democrats). For example, if you count all hispanics as "non-white", California is now a majority minority state. Democrats love that...however, if you count hispanics who classify themselves as white, California is 60% white.

I am counted as a non white on census however.

AND OFF TOPIC:

I HATE the fact I receive information in the mail WRITTEN IN SPANISH JUST BECAUSE my last name is HISPANIC. My mother and her family spoke SPANISH in the home........however..........I was raised speaking English. I have NEVER WRITTEN ANYWHERE that this household speaks SPANISH...so the companies must target my last name.

OK......back on topic.

Blondie

Blondie

Actually, different categorizations have been developed for centuries, some of them identifying 30 or more races.

There are no biological races, unless one either wants to make them so broad or so narrow that they become meaningless. Race has a very real impact on everyday life, but as a cultural construction, not a biological fact.

Well, there are obviously biological differences. The question of how you divide them up is full of socio-political implications, and as such it is almost impossible to come up with a definition that anyone agrees on.

I am counted as a non white on census however.

AND OFF TOPIC:

I HATE the fact I receive information in the mail WRITTEN IN SPANISH JUST BECAUSE my last name is HISPANIC. My mother and her family spoke SPANISH in the home........however..........I was raised speaking English. I have NEVER WRITTEN ANYWHERE that this household speaks SPANISH...so the companies must target my last name.

OK......back on topic.

Blondie

Blondie

Actually, I think you're wrong about the census. I'm pretty sure it has an option to classify one's self as hispanic as an addition to choosing a race. That's how they come up with a phrase you will often hear-- "non-white hispanic". In order to have that category, they have to be able to distinguish between hispanics who classify themselves as white and those who classify themselves as something else.

I am a white male and my girlfriend is black with some Portuguese thrown in there so I would say I don’t have a problem with it :D . She is the first girl that I have dated that is black and it has been no different and not weird at all.

However, sometimes I do get some pretty mean looks from black males out at bars at night. Same way that I am sure a black male with a white female gets some looks from white men out and about. You just don’t let things like that affect you and instead enjoy the person you are with.

Well, there are obviously biological differences. The question of how you divide them up is full of socio-political implications, and as such it is almost impossible to come up with a definition that anyone agrees on.

Of course there are biological differences between individuals, but the nature of those differences (and the ways in which they are inherited) make it impossible to define fixed races.

Archived