Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Final word on the draft swap w/ Denver?

Larry Brown #43

I know this has been discussed off and on here on the board but I have yet to read anything resembling a definitive answer on this. Can someone please explain the circumstances under which we'd have to swap first round picks with Denver? I've read so many conflicting things that I don't know what to believe. Thanks...

the final word is this was the most unnecessary trade in the history of the Redskins organization since I started watching this team in the early 1970's.

Duckett is the worst acquisition since we drafted Andre Johnson in Round 1 in 1996 and he failed to play a down in a regular season game for us EVER.

Duckett is the worst acquisition since we drafted Andre Johnson in Round 1 in 1996 and he failed to play a down in a regular season game for us EVER.

I smell hyperbole. C'mon, say it with me, hahy-pur-buh-lee. I agree that Gibbs probably panicked with Portis being hurt and wanted to keep him away from the Fecals. However, Duckett at least belongs in the league and might be a starter on a lot of teams. Johnson was a "bumb" that was out of the league in short order.

Notice that I said 'worst acquisition' and not worst player :)

There is nothing wrong with Duckett other than he is not being used! :laugh:

And when you deal a #3 pick and potentially swap a #1 as well, you almost by definition have to be making the trade to solve an immediate need.

I don't think Duckett's 20 odd rushes this season add up to an immediate need.

I mentioned the move for Johnson in 1996 because Casserly in that year panicked about our depth at OT and made a trade with Dallas to move up and take him despite the fact a lot of draft observers felt he was going to have to find a place at GUARD in the NFL.

Again, a horrible mismatch of intention and execution :cry:

God this is ****ing sad. I'll help you out this time but HONESTLY use the search function and - if it is down - WAIT for it to come back up.

If our first round draft pick was in the 20s and Denver had a lower pick, we would swap first rounders. In other words, worst case scenario would be that we lose 12 spots and thats only IF Denver wins the Super Bowl and we make the playoffs.

God this is ****ing sad. I'll help you out this time but HONESTLY use the search function and - if it is down - WAIT for it to come back up.

If our first round draft pick was in the 20s and Denver had a lower pick, we would swap first rounders. In other words, worst case scenario would be that we lose 12 spots and thats only IF Denver wins the Super Bowl and we make the playoffs.

Look, the search function is not the problem. If you read my post, I acknowledged that this has been discussed. The problem is, when you look for posts on this topic you find dozens of different theories on how the trade works.

I've been on this board far longer than you have and don't need the smart*** crap. I don't start a bunch of useless threads. I was putting the question out there to see if someone could come up with a straight answer on this. Obviously others in the thread weren't clear on it either.

Ummm that would be a NO!!Search some more skippy!

From http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2006/08/trade_blog.html

5) Anyone looking for a complex breakdown on the exact draft picks involved here, well, here goes. It all depends on how they teams finish in draft order and how each of their corresponding drafts picks stand on this "value chart" that NFL teams loves to use. Basically, they could end swapping first-round picks in 2007; they could flop first-rounders and the Broncos also get a four-round pick in 2008; they could flop firsts and the Broncos get a third in 2007; or the Broncos could end up with a third in 2007 and a fourth in 2008 (the Redskins do not have a fourth-round pick in 2007). In the end, the pick will be equivalent to what the value chart shows for a "high third-round pick" and the various possible first-round swaps would come into play if there is a big discrepancy in where the team's finish, and how high their picks are in each round.

Also http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

So if you look at that you will see that a "High 3rd round pick" is worth between 265 and 245 points, therefore we must makeup that difference somewhere, if we finish 20th, and the broncos finish superbowl runner ups that's a 250 point difference...

YOU'RE WELCOME

Ok just this one time....dont want to pull you away from your busy friday night. :silly:

Archived