Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mexicans and fast food places

Fred Smoot Fan

La verdad es que cuando latinos lo veen acercando a este tipo, empiezan a reirze; sobre los ojos demaciado vacios y cercanos, la boca tan misteriosamente redonda, y la mano mojada, moviendo siempre en su pantalon.

Hay que reirse, no? Eso o llorar.

Mejor reir, creo.

Bien dicho, 'mano Ancalagon. Oye, ya que lo pienso, me gusta aun mas como suena el nombre tuyo con acento. :)

dchogs, I feel ya man. But I think the impact would be lost in translation. I apologize for the exclusionary practice, but man ... I just HAD to. ;)

Pa' 'rriba, pa' bajo, pa' fuera ... pa' dentro

:cheers:

Originally posted by RiggoDrill

Koneshno. Maya familya Ponomarev ... cem'ya sumashedshykh kazakov :). Kak tyi khorosho znayesh russkii yazyk?

Maya familya Gooliaeva. Cemya y Kanade teper cto ghodoe. Gde mee zheveum mnogo russkix- doukhoborii. Ia ne znayou esle ti clexal pra doukhoborii?

EEP OP ORK AH AH!

That means I love you.

But seriously, while I’m not one to give anything in the way of credit to FSF, who is clearly a knucklehead of the first order, I must grudgingly offer what can only be described as such to him here.

Yes, it’s true that English is not America’s official language -- as none is technically designated as such. However, one needs only to consult the U.S. Constitution, U.S. Bill of Rights, U.S. Tax Code, and/or spend a few days in most any town, hamlet, or major city in the U.S. to determine that, whether explicitly spelled out or not, English is the language of this nation. Now, if one who is not a native English speaker chooses to come to live and work in this country and be either (a) blithely oblivious or (B) stubbornly dismissive of this fact, they are certainly free to, as the old saying goes, knock themselves out. However, they will discover soon enough that such an approach has certain drawbacks, limiting their ability to partake in all the opportunities, job-based -- aside from the low-level, minimum-wage-paying sort to which FSF alludes to in his post -- and otherwise, that this country has to offer.

Just as I, as one who doesn’t speak a lick of Mandarin or Cantonese, would face a great deal of difficulty if I chose to move to China to live and work. Now, after opting for such a course and not finding much success, I could angrily shake my fists at the Beijing sky and scream (in English, of course) that life simply wasn’t fair, that I deserved to be granted a job somewhere in good ol’ Beijing, despite that fact that few there could understand a word I said, simply because... well, just because, damnit! But in the final analysis, it wouldn’t really matter how righteously and indignantly angry I was. It would only matter that I was, in effect, a fish out of water, that everyone around me breathed air, and that, if I wanted to make it in that environment, I’d better adapt and learn how to breath air myself real damn fast.

That ability, lo, that desire to adapt is, without doubt, the root cause of some of the friction between native-born Americans and immigrant Americans, especially those who are recently arrived here from Mexico. My great-grandfather’s parents were of German extraction, yet I recall him telling me stories about them in which they practically ordered him not to speak German, period. “This [America] is your country now. You are American now. So you must speak English now,” they told him. “That is that.” And such accounts are legion amongst those whose immigrant parents, whether German or Italian or Polish, brought them, along with all their hopes and dreams, during the great waves of immigration to this nation during the latter part of the 19th and early portion of the 20th centuries.

In contrast, it seems, to me, anyway, that a significant bit of whatever animus many native-born Americans now feel toward Mexican immigrants to this country has to do with the perception that Mexican immigrants are vehemently opposed to dipping even one toe into the proverbial American Melting Pot.

And there appears to be some basis for that perception. Recent polling data culled in Mexico (I forget where I read about this data at the moment) indicated that approximately 55% of Mexicans seen nothing “wrong” or “unlawful” about illegally crossing the border from Mexico into America. Moreover, the same number of Mexican respondents, 55%, felt that the border states of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California were “stolen” from Mexico by America and, as such, Mexicans were basically incapable of trespassing on or illegally immigrating to these places because they still rightfully belonged to Mexicans. Such findings are not surprising given the fact that Mexican President Vicente Fox refuses to call illegal immigration -- which is completely out of control, with hundreds of thousands of illegal border crossings every year -- illegal, constantly referring to it simply as “immigration” and failing to order his country’s notoriously corrupt police force, the Federales, to crack down on it in any way, shape, or form.

In light of this, is it any wonder that so many Mexican immigrants to this nation, a good number of whom are here illegally, seem either (a) somewhat reticent or (B) completely resistant to the idea of joining the Melting Pot and, oh say, instructing their children to learn English and viewing America as their new home? Many of these folks come into this country with a built-in sense of entitlement, feeling that America owes them something, while they owe America, the country that “stole” northern Mexico from them, absolutely nothing.

Now, for those that would jump my case here, claiming that I’m somehow suggesting that we should all immediately go out, find the nearest American-loathing Mexican we can, and beat his or her brains in, let me make clear that I’m not suggesting that at all. Nobody deserves to have his brains beat in -- except for Osama Bin Laden, of course. To be clear, all I’m suggesting is that being able to immigrate to this country is a great privilege, not an inalienable right, and that a good many people, both inside and outside of this nation, seem to have forgotten this essential fact.

P.S. FSF, are you the same “Fred Smoot Fan” who used to post on the CPND/Warpath board? If so, what’s with your sudden, inexplicable ideological switheroo? For example, you -- if you are indeed the same Fred Smoot Fan -- posted back in August on CPND that you “always knew that Republicans were nothing more than bible thumping, KKK lovin' rednecks.” Well, if that was you, FSF, what gives man?

Archived