Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Dennis Green Out, Mooch In

jimster

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9822843/rss

Report: Green gone after season, Cards pursuing Mariucci

Nov. 22, 2006

CBS SportsLine.com staff

According to a report on HOFmag.com, the decision has been made to replace Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green after the season, and the team has set its sights on former 49ers and Lions coach Steve Mariucci.

Preliminary talks have been held, according to the website, although Mariucci reportedly denied it, saying only that he's concentrating on his work for the NFL Network.

Green's tenure at Arizona has been a failure, illustrated by his maniacal outburst after blowing a Monday night game to the Bears. The decision to axe him was made the following day, according to the website.

According to the Arizona Republic, the

Dennis Green leaving the cardinals is long over due. I would be interested to see how Mariucci does there if that is true. They probably have the worst O-Line in football, I think that is there biggest problem. That and they had a chance to crown the bears but they let them off the hook.

Yep Green started losing in Minnesota, when his OL started going south, losing players in FA, or getting old

read this on pft

POSTED 2:53 p.m. EST, November 21, 2006

BIDWILL LOOKING AT THREE

The talk in league circles is that Arizona Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill currently is floating three names as potential replacements for eventually-to-be-former head coach Dennis Green.

The candidates are USC coach Pete Carroll, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, and Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

Carroll would likely be the most expensive, and he would probably want total control over the football operations. Stoops would likely be the most interested, because he doesn't generate the same aura in coaching circles that he did several years ago, and some thought his window of opportunity at the next level had closed.

We'd previously heard Rivera's name. He'd need to lasso a strong offensive coordinator (we'd suggest Cal coach Jeff Tedford), in order to get the most out of a very talented set of skill-position players.

Stay tuned.

Mooch sounds more likely. What about Martz? :whoknows:

Mooch sounds more likely. What about Martz? :whoknows:

Sportsline is reporting Mooch has already talked with Arizona. - I have a feeling Carroll's name is being mentioned because of the Leinart connection.

Martz as OC for them could be pretty wild with the offensive weapons they have.

Carroll would likely be the most expensive, and he would probably want total control over the football operations.

Carroll's name has been associated with Cardinal's for weeks. I can't see any owner giving Carroll the power he wishes. I hasn't proven anything in the pro's and good things don't often come from coaches having total control of operations.

I don't know what Mooch could do with them, after all they are the Cards. He sounds like a more likely choice then the other names.

I think Green needs more time.

This ridiculous, never-ending, instant gratification, fickle merry-go-round of coaches is insane. No coach can build the team he wants in less than 5 years. Owners with patience are the only ones who have franchises that win year in and year out.

Everyone is looking for the next Belichek, but what they dont understand is that they have to find the next Brady at the same time and the odds of that happening in the same year are zero to none.

If they don't beef up that oline it won't matter who the coach is. :laugh:

Too true...so many people picked The Cards because of Edge coming to town...and I thought as long as they have that crummy O-Line it wouldn't matter if they had Barry Sanders in his prime.

Archived